Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stall Prevention

adamc260

Say .... what!?

Was reading up and says all new ford fiestas come with 'Stall Prevention'.. obviously i'm not simple and understand what the two words mean but.. how exactly does it do that? =/

the ecu orders more revs from the engine , when it thinks the driver has pulled the clutch up to quickly or pull up without enough revs .

It does work but its not impossible to stall it the best way to feel it is to be on a hill, something averagely steep, just bring the clutch up gently and don't touch the accelerator it should accelerate itself up enough to stop it stalling.

Do bear in mind its a !Removed! in the snow!

Ant

in traffic you can put it in first gear then take you feet of all the pedals and its should stay at a steady 7 mph, not bunny hop down the road.

in traffic you can put it in first gear then take you feet of all the pedals and its should stay at a steady 7 mph, not bunny hop down the road.

Awesome, I spend most my life having to crawl along at those speeds... damn you cardiff city centre traffic at 5pm!

take you feet of all the pedals and its should stay at a steady 7 mph, not bunny hop down the road.

Cool, now you guys have the convinence of an automatic's 'crawl'

.... *Cough* but still the inconvinence of a clutch and gear stick *Cough* :lol:

;)

you can do it in any gear, as long as youve let the revs get to about 900-1000 rpm, i normally get to about 3rd get doing a steady 15 mph (nice and relaxed) whilst you see other driver speeding up to the car in front then slaming there brakes on over and over again for miles and miles ( causing massive wear to the clutch and brakes!)and getting themself stressed out for no reason!!

Also if you set a speed in your mind and stay at that speed your normally find the traffic just suddelly clears.

The same with motorway speed restrictions, they are there for a reason to slow down traffic , so the build up of cars infront have time to clear, otherwise you just get miles and miles of tail backs !!

Cool, now you guys have the convinence on an automatic's 'crawl'

.... *Cough* but the inconvinence of a clutch and gear stick *Cough* :lol:

lol

I am about 70% sold that i want an automatic next time i buy a car purely for the fact of a more relaxing and smoother drive.

But there seems to be so many negitives putting me off; one being fuel consumtion its supposed to be significantly lower also higher tax groups and the fact you cant get a diesel auto in anything smaller than a focus. Poorer residuals, normally adds another £500-£1000 to the retail price, longevity always worrys me aswell. Also the only autos i have driven are a smart roadster and a vauxhall meriva wich were both truely awfull hatred cars and there autos in there were terible! But i have also been in a vw passat tdi dsg and the auto in that was just amazing super super smooth and instant down changes so lurching atall.

Is it just vw's that make good autos or is the dual clutch that makes it smooth as i know that honest john said that the ford power shift (twin clucth) is supposed to be better than vw's so the focus/modeo etc 2.0 tdci auto must be out of this world smooth!

it only works if you gently lift the clutch without applying any revs. similar to a diesel... but doesn't work very well, slightest gradient and your dead in the water.

it only works if you gently lift the clutch without applying any revs. similar to a diesel... but doesn't work very well, slightest gradient and your dead in the water.

You shouldnt lifting the clutch without revs though really so i spose to some degree it does work

• 1 month later...

I just remembered the car has this and it does work... it's brilliant in fact!

Give it a little bit of gas to just get the car rolling, foot off all pedals and it just crawls along nicely (Even went up a bit of an incline!)

So impressed with it, as the revs are dropping near 1k and your foot is off the clutch it flies to about 850-900 revs and just sits there crawling forward

Very clever Ford :)!

Don't all cars do that anyway? My 2001 fiesta did...

Every other car i've had the revs will slowly drop and it will bunny hop as it's about to stall and you have to drop the clutch to stop that happening. In the fiesta it just maintains the revs just above stalling so you keep rolling forward at a slow controlled speed.

Keen to increase the Fiesta’s appeal in more ways than just economy and sportiness, Ford has also tapped into the fact that many of them end up as driving school cars, and has furnished all new Fiestas with Stall Prevention, which alters the engine’s ignition profile and increases the amount of torque available at low speeds.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/225078/fiesta_zetec_s.html#ixzz1j8bFcF30

having said that if you want an example of how autoexpress is often wrong:

The Zetec S will initially sit at the top of the Fiesta range with its all-new 118bhp 1.6-litre Duratec Ti-VCT petrol engine. It will eventually be knocked off the top spot by the scorching new turbocharged Fiesta ST, which is scheduled for 2009.

Every other car i've had the revs will slowly drop and it will bunny hop as it's about to stall and you have to drop the clutch to stop that happening. In the fiesta it just maintains the revs just above stalling so you keep rolling forward at a slow controlled speed.

How many cars have you driven? lol.

How many cars have you driven? lol.

Quite a few :D

I've had about 6+ cars meself, get bored :P

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club