Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Leak/smoke?

Rosbifs

True to form first post say hello second post up a problem!

I have noticed over the last week that there is a small amount of smoke coming from the back of the engine on my SMAX. I would say that this is not 100% of the time - no I have noticed it I pop the bonnet every time I stop - but it is worrying! My friend had a similar fault which meant a replacement pipe into the turbo (his was under warranty) with the big cost being the labour not the bit. He seemed to think it was a common SMAX problem. Has anyone else had this and if so are there cheaper remedies?

I also would like to ask whether this is something that will eventually go bang? I have been checking oil levels so that I limit the risk. I only noticed by chance - refilling screen water whent he car had just stopped. I think otherwise i could have gone a long while without realising there was an issue!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Charles

• 8 months later...

Someone else has the same problem. Check out this youtube....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

nobody seen this? Mine does it, my friend has his done on warranty and then this guy on youtube - all 2.2.

There is a problem with the peugeot block and the connection with the ford turbo. ford won't admit the problem i.e. design fault but i don't want to pay myself for the repair...

IO can only suggest it may be worth checking that the EGR is bolted completely in place, as that tends to be at the back of the engine block.

On the video, it looks more like steam than smoke, so It would appear to be a split or insecured hose on the cooling system, or possibly a leak somewhere causing water to drip to the EGR system and condense.

Do you hear more of a whoosing noise, like its trapped steam escaping, or do you hear more of a splat - hiss - noise, like dropping an egg into a hot frying pan?

Well the most obvious question has to be - which engine do you have?

As the Smax is fitted with engines from Ford, PSA & Volvo - depending on which will give you the answer as to whether it's a common issue or not!

• 2 years later...
On 8/19/2013 at 11:44 AM, jeebowhite said:

IO can only suggest it may be worth checking that the EGR is bolted completely in place, as that tends to be at the back of the engine block.

On the video, it looks more like steam than smoke, so It would appear to be a split or insecured hose on the cooling system, or possibly a leak somewhere causing water to drip to the EGR system and condense.

Do you hear more of a whoosing noise, like its trapped steam escaping, or do you hear more of a splat - hiss - noise, like dropping an egg into a hot frying pan?

I know this is an old thread, but that video is EXACTLY what I get. It's nothing like steam, it's dirty stinking burning oil and it's flipping worrying when it first happens.  I'm currently trying to find out if it's oil feed or oil return that's causing the problem in mine. (2.2tdci S-Max, 58 reg).

• 5 years later...

Anybody find out what this problem was as my turbo went on 1.8 smax had a new turbo it's now making a whooshing noise was told a turbo leak but can't find it