Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide For Fitting Daytime Running Lights Focus Mk2.5

Preee

It looks smart and 'factory fitted,' but sadly I don't trust myself playing around with the wires. Plus, will the warranty be affected?

• Like 1

It looks smart and 'factory fitted,' but sadly I don't trust myself playing around with the wires. Plus, will the warranty be affected?

its really not a big job mate,

all the wires are part of the kit and are supplied pre moulded connections,

so you just plug them in to each other,

the only things you need to do yourself is drill a 20mm hole in the bumper on either fog light section,

connect the blue cable to the blue & Orange cable at the rear of the passenger headlight,

remove the 10amp fuse in the engine fuse box and plug it in to the piggy back one, then plug the piggy back one in to the fuse box.

the positioning of the modules is personal choice, you don't need to remove your battery box and fit them behind it, you can fit them anywhere you wish.

and the fitting of a switch is purely personal choice too, as they are DRL's they are designed to illuminate when the key is turned in the ignition so you don't need a switch fitted if you don't want to.

i don't see how this modification would effect your warranty because it run and operates independently

from any of the cars operations. and its got a fuse fitted so worse thing to happen is the fuse will blow and you need to buy a new one, but that wont happen because all the cables are colour coded just plug in to each other.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

88bfc097.jpgHi All,

I have attempted to fit DRL's on my ST (see pic) but am having some problems.

I have tried hooking up the wiring to the dash switch to the right of the steering wheel. Many people have pointed out the wire I need to use that turns off when the headlights come on etc however on my car that wire is constantly live on the ignition. I have a feeling this is due to having Autolamps andd therefore not having the R15 relay. Can anyone confirm the part number of the R15 relay on a facelift mk2?

Thanks,

• Like 1

Hi All, I have attempted to fit DRL's on my ST (see pic) but am having some problems. I have tried hooking up the wiring to the dash switch to the right of the steering wheel. Many people have pointed out the wire I need to use that turns off when the headlights come on etc however on my car that wire is constantly live on the ignition. I have a feeling this is due to having Autolamps andd therefore not having the R15 relay. Can anyone confirm the part number of the R15 relay on a facelift mk2? Thanks,
Hi mate, your DRL's look great, i will have a look on Ford microcat later when i get home and tell you the part number for the relay, but a cheaper option may be to fit one of these auto dimmers from gen-labs that will dim your drl's by 50% when your parking lights come on, regardless if your lights are automatic or manual, once it sences positive feed in the parking lights it will dim the drls to 50% making them legal and the same illumination level as your parking lights. i have fitted one to my focus for my ford racing gauges to get them to dim when the parking lights are activated because they were too bright at night driving. here is a link to the item: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35bd9f829a and here is some wiring information and diagrams for the item, i reckon it would be cheaper than the relay and better results since the drls will still be illuminated and legal too. http://www.fordowner...-gauges-or-drl/ DRLwiring.jpg

Image1731.jpg

Hi Lenny,

Thanks for your comments, only I am hoping to make the setup as OEM as possible and using the existing circuitry would be much more effective. I even understand there are DRL plugs on the main headlight loom so may consider using that instead of running to the dash, however currently the lights aren't working and I think its a relay only problem. When I spoke to the (unhelpful) guy at Ford Parts (my local one) he looked on the Ford Tech system and said that there was no way to identify the actual relay I need, great help as ever!

• Like 1

Hi Lenny,

Thanks for your comments, only I am hoping to make the setup as OEM as possible and using the existing circuitry would be much more effective. I even understand there are DRL plugs on the main headlight loom so may consider using that instead of running to the dash, however currently the lights aren't working and I think its a relay only problem. When I spoke to the (unhelpful) guy at Ford Parts (my local one) he looked on the Ford Tech system and said that there was no way to identify the actual relay I need, great help as ever!

but you know what you require is the R15 relay,

luckily i have the same programme that he woud have been looking at,

i purchased the software because i was sick of the same issue's with ford over here,

so now i just use the software myself then go in to ford requesting the part number and i need to tell them nothing lol

or even buy it from ford in the uk through eBay.

their is no need to run the cables in to the interior either mate,

their is an ignition live feed in the engine fuse box, and a signal feed can be obtained at the rear of the headlights like you say mate,

we just run a feed in to the interior in order to fit a rocker switch so that we can switch the drl's off if ever required for stealth mode lol

ill get you a screen shot of the part later, along with a price and a finis code.

the R15 relay is finis 1425751

but you may also require finis 1684288 its a jumper cable

but i believe some of the parts required are not available in the uk mate,

see here:

http://www.fordowner...mk2-mk25-c-max/

Capture-2-1.jpg

Cheers Lenny,

Only problem is, I understand its a 5 pin not 4 pin relay I need (an assumption due to R15 having 5 slots) can give you a pic of the fusebox if that helps or my number plate?

Thanks for the help so far!

• Like 1

Cheers Lenny,

Only problem is, I understand its a 5 pin not 4 pin relay I need (an assumption due to R15 having 5 slots) can give you a pic of the fusebox if that helps or my number plate?

Thanks for the help so far!

no problem mate,

this is as much as i know regarding the relay and factory fit DRL's mate,

but if you follow the link to pidu's guide he has used the same relay that i have linked you to and has gotten his lights to function as DRL's the guy also wrote some diagnostic software for the focus to allow us to activate new features via a re-wired ELM327 so he really know what he is talking about regarding the focus and modifications. i cant explain why the relay socket would have 5 slots and only use four, but i can send you screen shot of all of the relays if you wish?

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/30154-factory-daytime-running-lights-focus-mk2-mk25-c-max/

Thanks Lenny,

Might just get the relay and hope for the best, tbh its only £25 in the bigger scheme of things. The jumper cable says for halogen lights only, I have xenons so guess that it works differently. Plus I'm hoping to run proper DRL's not just dimmed headlights so might try without that.

• Like 1

Thanks Lenny,

Might just get the relay and hope for the best, tbh its only £25 in the bigger scheme of things. The jumper cable says for halogen lights only, I have xenons so guess that it works differently. Plus I'm hoping to run proper DRL's not just dimmed headlights so might try without that.

ok mate,

keep us posted on here with the progress anyways, for others who may wish to follow

Well got the relay today finis 1425751 and it doesn't work. Having tested it and spotting a relay in the fusebox it turns out to be the same as the other one (R16 i think?) a 4 pin open by default relay. So, next question is, what relay do I need in that case? Want the DRL's to come on with no lights on and go off with lights turned on, using the relay as necessary?

Hi mate,

Very jealous of the white ST :D

Not sure if I'm correct, I will check when I get home but in the haynes manual I think the drl's are controlled via a fuse in the footwell fusebox, not via a relay in the engine bay. That then lets the headlights come on at 80% when the headlights are off on the switch. I believe there is no extra wiring for the drl just the fuse to bypass the switch.

If it were me I would buy a seperate relay kit like the one controlling the drls that Preee, myself and others have, that only dim the drls when the headlights come on. Or just a standard relay kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Day-Time-Running-Light-Switch-Automatic-Control-ON-OFF-DRL-Lamp-Relay-Harness-/160831941758?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257254ac7e#ht_625wt_922

Thanks for the comments on the car tis loveeeeeeely to drive but what really makes it worthwhile is the soundtrack of the 5 cylinder warble and the turbo whine. :D

Well I was hoping to keep as OEM as possible to be honest, and I was led to believe that relay R15 was for DRL's but Ford are no use at defining which relay fits which slot :(

That link appears to be to a U.S. seller? Any UK dealers?

I didn't want to affect the headlights at all just wanted some extra led's to act as some sort of DRL (or even better DRL and on with sidelights?).

• 3 months later...

Just had a thought while driving through the fog this morning. With the relay I have ( same as ones used by Preee in the guide ) there is a wire to dim the DRL's which I have connected to the sidelights, and a wire to switch them off which I haven't connected yet. Could this be connected to the fog lights so the DRL's go off when the fogs are on because they look a bit silly when both are on.

Any thoughts or advice on which wire to attach to??

Just had a thought while driving through the fog this morning. With the relay I have ( same as ones used by Preee in the guide ) there is a wire to dim the DRL's which I have connected to the sidelights, and a wire to switch them off which I haven't connected yet. Could this be connected to the fog lights so the DRL's go off when the fogs are on because they look a bit silly when both are on.

Any thoughts or advice on which wire to attach to??

Yes this would work

or you could fit a switch to the positive feed of the drl's to manually switch them off.

I personally think the more lights in fog the better.

• 3 months later...

Great guide which is really helpful, 2 suggestions/hints which may help people.

I didn't piggy back of that fuse but instead plugged the piggyback connector into the empty fuse socket to the left in the picture, that's also 12v ignition live but doesn't have anything else running of it in my car.

I had two blue/orange wires in my headlight harness (though one may be Orange/blue but hard to tell) but my sidelight was in the b/o wire in pin 4 (numbered on the actual connector).

Glad the guide was helpful , theres always ways to make things easier when following the guides , how are you liking the DRL's?

They look good, I went for a different style to the foglight versions as I know many people around here are stupid and think that any lights in that area are fog lights so like to flash you to tell you.

post-39140-0-19704000-1361372745_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

are these the drls you have paul? looking for some myself and these are the only ones i can find what look decent

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/09-FORD-FOCUS-4D-Sedan-DRL-WHITE-LED-FOGLIGHT-DAYTIME-RUNNING-LIGHT-LAMPS-/320923946094?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ab88ecc6e

are these the drls you have paul? looking for some myself and these are the only ones i can find what look decent

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/09-FORD-FOCUS-4D-Sedan-DRL-WHITE-LED-FOGLIGHT-DAYTIME-RUNNING-LIGHT-LAMPS-/320923946094?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ab88ecc6e

Yes Patrick , they look exactly like the one that i brought.

• Like 1

I find the guide a bit confusing, i don't see why the switch needs to be a 2 way switch and i know it is optional however i prefer to install a switch indeed. Second in the guide, why was the glove box removed, that part for sure i don't understand.

I will need to get the DRL's in my hands to get a firm understanding of this, even so before i buy the switch, unless anyone can explain why it requires a 2 way switch. I think i will also purchase different switch although i did find the one in the guide on eBay, i am a bit worried that LED might become over powering with the brightness and annoying over time. i would much rather a none light switch.

Thirdly i cannot identify where on the car that switch has been placed. Must state this is my first ford and i don't even have the car right here ATM to look so that doesn't help.

Also what is all the excess duel layer 12 guage wire all about?

I find the guide a bit confusing, i don't see why the switch needs to be a 2 way switch and i know it is optional however i prefer to install a switch indeed. Second in the guide, why was the glove box removed, that part for sure i don't understand.

I will need to get the DRL's in my hands to get a firm understanding of this, even so before i buy the switch, unless anyone can explain why it requires a 2 way switch. I think i will also purchase different switch although i did find the one in the guide on ebay, i am a bit worried that LED might become over powering with the brightness and annoying over time. i would much rather a none light switch.

Thirdly i cannot identify where on the car that switch has been placed. Must state this is my first ford and i don't even have the car right here ATM to look so that doesn't help.

Also what is all the excess duel layer 12 guage wire all about?

I have followed this guide 100% and can explain to you on behalf of preee.

The switch is optional as stated,

I have chosen to fit the switch as I like the option of stealth mode i.e. engine on with no drl active.

The switch doesn't need to be 2way but if you want an illuminating switch it requires an earth feed so power the illumination so an illuminating switch will have 3 pin outs.

The glove box removal is to gain access to the rubber grommet that feeds cables from inside the car to the engine bay.

The removal of glovebox is not required for standard installation.

But if you would like to fit a switch, then you need to run an additional 2core cable from the engine bay in through the grommet behind the glove box and over to the pocket in the dash that is next to the OBD port in the drivers footwell.

Remove the panel and drill in to the top of the pocket to fit rocker switch inside pocket,

You will require spade crimp connectors to fit cables to switch correctly.

Image1199-1.jpg

the image below is for illustration purposes only.

This is an image of my interior illumination switch which doubles as a light to illuminate the dash pocket.

It feeds power to my bird bath and cup holder illumination.

I have later fitted another rocker switch next to it for the drls but I don't have an up to date image.

Image1197.jpg

I hope this response helps on behalf of preee.

Thanks Lenny, i have ordered the parts and sure it will be alot easier once i got everything :D