Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide For Fitting Daytime Running Lights Focus Mk2.5

Preee

Cheers Lenny great. Answers .

Cheers Lenny great. Answers .

thanks preee,

I devote my life to the forum while you live and enjoy yours ;)

thanks preee,

I devote my life to the forum while you live and enjoy yours ;)

Lmao you wait now until your not around , i will answer all of your guides. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the great guide preee , got mine fitted today . Not received my piggyback fuse yet so its not properly wired up to the acc yet .

20130519_110902copy.jpg

Looks great Nick , loving the colour of your car m8

Cheers Paul , sometimes wish i'd gone for silver after seeing how good yours looks ! and vision blue is a swine to paint match as i'm just finding out ... stupidly scratched the rear wheel arch right down to metal couple of weeks back :(

• 1 month later...

Guys, wondering if anyone can help me out! I have bought a set of DRL's that I am awaiting delivery of, I am currently trying to find the appropriate wire in which I need to attach the "DRL OFF" wire. I have seen the wiring schematics, but cant make out if the blue/orange cable is in fact for the headlight, or the sidelight. Can anyone interpret http://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/HalfordsConsumerDirect/images/catalog/HaynesWDs.pdf for me and advise which wire is the sidelight?

I know that Paul's guide shows O/B however I am led to believe the wiring is different on my CMAX to a standard Focus on some things, and I want to be 100% sure :)

Jeeb

Best way is with a 12v tester , and turning your side lights on test which wore becomes live.

not sure I have one of those! but I do have a multimeter, just dont have a clue how to use it! :P

Actually I do have a screwdriver electrical tester... Maybe I need to dig that out...

Well My DRL's arrived, they are entirely aftermarket so a bit of bodging will be required...

I think I know which wire is the sidelight, so I need to cut a small split into it and wire the white into there and test it at some point. However I am struggling to find a wire I can splice into in the engine bay that is live only when the ignition is on. I saw a few things about piggy backing the fuse but I thought that it was the GEM that controlled it, inside the passenger footwell? so if I piggy back in the bonnet fusebox, which one should I piggy back onto? or is it best to splice?

if anyone can advise the fuse number to piggyback, I do have a piggy back ready to go to try :)

OK so I went out to play in the light rain...

I found that if I hijack fuse 35 with a piggy back that seems to work fine :) now I just need it to dry out so that I can get out there and do the wiring properly!

Finally got around to installing these bad boys, had them for so long now. I am very pleased with these DRL's they look totally factory fitted, the brightness is awesome... not like those dull led strips that people have, these are very bright like genuine DRL's

The dimming feature works spot on. The installation process for me went rather smooth, i did not install the switch as i felt kind of lazy about routing cable through the firewall after seeing the hole behind the engine. don't think i will be installing the switch either although i have everything i need to do so since it all works effortlessly.

Not sure of the exact distance but DRL's don't need to dim/go off when indicator is on, unless they are within a certain distance of the dipped/main beam lights. These lights are far enough away from the headlights hence no feature for going off when indicator is on.

It did not require any other tool than a flat head screwdriver to remove the headlights for easy access to the fogs. My kit had everything i needed, good amounts of cable ties, and with a sort of crimp that slices into the side light cable without stripping the insulation... i don't know if others had this but this was too less. (I did use a pliers to squeeze it together as my girly hands were not upto the job) With all honestly you can clip it together by hand.

Beside the fog lamp there was already a hole big enough to route the cable. i cannot tell if this is from the factory or not....

Another thing on my car i seem to have a second headlight wiring loom just laying about under under the headlight with more pins, it seems to have the same colours plus more than the standard headlight loom and same cable thickness etc. what is this for?

The piggyback fuse plugs in as normal, my kit came with colour pictures showing what seems like an MK2 fuse box and mk2.5 box... not sure if it's an mk2 but it shows a very similar fuse box with a slightly different layout. the mk2.5 picture showed where the fuse goes perfectly.

During the installation i forgot to put back the 10 amp fuse alongside the 6 amp, this caused the engine management light to come on and a message on the display saying engine malfunction. I fitted the 10 amp fuse, took the car for a drive and error code disappeared. Without both fuse, the circuit is open which if the equivalent of of no connection.

Here are some pictures

Plastic clip/crimp that taps into the side light cable on the loom (taped up the white cable)

orz9.jpg

Earth cable and piggyback fuse loom

xx2j.jpg
Hole that was already there, with loom coming through
xs9t.jpg
0hzu.jpg
Daytime close up shot, 23c outside sun shining
y1pn.jpg
Daytime shot about 5 meters away in the shade of a multi story car park, as you can see they are extremely bright, especially from a distant
f0hh.jpg
I get ALOT of focus owners and none focus drivers looking at them, even mk3 owners, i think these look much smarter than the mk3 LED's. deffo a much nicer looking package. The DRL's sit exactly the same as the mondeo DRL's, this surely adds to the factory look

I am a bit dubious to using the scotch locks, and think when I do it, I may end up splicing directly into the wire, has anyone else done this, or do most of you scotchlock?

I am a bit dubious to using the scotch locks, and think when I do it, I may end up splicing directly into the wire, has anyone else done this, or do most of you scotchlock?

Use it dude, the purpose of it isn't to carry any kind of high voltage therefore it doesn't need a very secured connection between the two wires. The control unit only needs a slight voltage change and that's the signal to dim the lights.

Has anyone tried to wire the white wire into the full beam wire so it turns off completely when full beams are on. I think i will attempt a go at this. TBH i am not totally sure how the control unit will handle this, as there will potentially be two signals at once being received, one from the blue and one from the white whenever side lights are on, and full beams are switched on.

Thinking about it, if the blue wire was tapped into the dipped beams instead of the side lights whenever full beams are switched on there would only be one signal received as dipped beams would switch off and in the process switch off the DRL's. This would allow the DRL's to switch in between flashing of full beams.

what colour scotch locks do you use? I have blue but not sure if this is too large... otherwise, if its a case of dig out a soldering iron and cut a nick into the wire then that might be as easy

I used a red coloured scotchlok, that is 22-16 AWG on the back of it, perfect fit. the blue might be a bit big indeed. I really don't think it's worth soldering. This is creating unnecessary work and making it a permanent connection. With the scotchlok it's easy to remove the kit if you ever need to without leaving a trace.

The scotchloks doesn't create enough force to slice the wire nor is the blade part of it small enough to do so, it barely pierced the insulation for me.

What i did though, i stripped some of the headlight loom sleeve keeping the scotchlok away from the connector block for the headlight incase needs be that the cable needs to be joint together, there is enough room for a crimp

In the end I just cut the shielding and pulled it back with a small enough gap and wrapped the wire around it, and for now, have covered it with electrical tape (might as well continue Ford's obsession) and it works a treat. wont bother soldering it I dont think but as the cable is wrapped around it, its not going anywhere and is making a permenant connection, so my just tidy it up but now my install is complete. I need to get the photo's up when I get a chance, not as smart as those that are embedded into the fog housing but I think they look alright!

• 1 month later...

Hi Keith,

Looking at that, in my opinion, you will need to be careful, as they are projectors, and I dont believe your factory lights will be. As such, these could be seen as a retrofit HDI and those are illegal, however the integrated DRL's look good.

Hi Keith , i'm with Jeeb on this one be careful when buying the projectors , although it does state they are road legal ! , if you do buy them you might want to screen grab the advert. also perhaps print the information off and go and ask an MOT garage if they would fail they if they were fitted.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hi guys, sorry to bring up such ab old thread. Im new here, my name is K and I wanted to ask a question about DRLs on my focus mk2.5. I am looking at ordering these DRLs from a UK seller, what do you guys think:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281284313991

Anyway I'm not savvy on installing these at all and I'm not afraid to admit that! The local lights and audio garage will fit these for £70. I want them wired to the ignition like preee has done and to dim when the sidelights and dipped beam come on. He said that these also have the in built amber indicators on them, so they flash amber when indicating, by looking at the eBay post is that correct?

I wanted to see if any of you kind folk, local to me in Bexleyheath and surrounding areas who have installed these successfully in their cars could install these for me? For a price of course. I would much rather get it done by one of you enthusiasts than someone who may not care too much about the correct install.. Make sense?

Many thanks in anticipation, K.

Sent from my C6903 using Ford OC mobile app

Ps. I'd much rather they didn't turn amber when indicating..is that possible?

Thank you.

Sent from my C6903 using Ford OC mobile app

Hi matey, I would be happy to help but I'm In medway so if you don't mind a trek I will help.

But as for indicators, if you don't want them then as long as you don't connect them they won't work :-)

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

hello buddy, i have just looked on google maps and medway is only 35mins drive from me, so if it is ok with you, i would really appreciate your help.

and as for the indicators, yeh sorry mate, as you can see i am a complete novice with all this!

these are the lights i will order tonight or tomorrow if we can agree a day and time that is ok with you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281284313991

i can only assume that these drls will do all that i want them to do...turn on with the ignition, dim with sidelights and dipped beams on?

thanks mate, i will sort you out for your troubles at whatever price you quote. :-)

kash

Hi Kash,

No worries, well get them ordered as to me they look like they will do the job perfectly :)

Just as a heads up, I recently knackered my neck, so I might be more supervisor and little work and I might need you to be the muscles :P If you get them for Tuesday / Wednesday, how does Thursday sound?

Drop me a message and we can discuss it further :)