Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide For Fitting Daytime Running Lights Focus Mk2.5

Preee

Thinking of doing this at some point, just a quick question, so bar E marked and dim/off when lights on are there any mot issues? Do we need to interior switch for example?

• Like 1

Thinking of doing this at some point, just a quick question, so bar E marked and dim/off when lights on are there any mot issues? Do we need to interior switch for example?

No MOT issues alsong as you have them dim when position lights etc. are active mate,

These led units are manufactured by Osram then fitted to the fog surrounds and supplied as a model specific kit by a company in Taiwan,

Being Osram you can be guranteed the E4 stamp is genuine and you are buying quality kit,

The switch is not a requirement,

But its nice to have the option of driving in complete darkness in the event of approaching a stunned rabbit,

Or your house is being burgled at night while your out,

And you want to pull in to the drive way as discreetly as possible,

Nice to be capable of turning them off.

• Like 1

Righty, so was just about to order some of the above when an unexpected call from the boss left me with a few hundred quid to blow, since I was gonna blow a hundred anyway on fog DRLs it got be thinking about changing the main head lamps instead...

So, if you had say £250 to blow on a nice set of head lamps with DRLs built in to fit a Mk2.5 Focus Moondust silver, what would you go for?

I know some of you guys are working towards auto levelling HIDs but im not to bothered as it seems quite a lot of work, priority is DRLs and look sweet, no fogging uses normal fit bulbs, road legal, be cool if I could get AFL working though...

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Has to be black lights on a silver car.

I changed the silver lights on my silver mk2 and the black ones look so much better.

I really like the look of these and reckon they would suit your car-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-2008-2011-BLACK-LED-DRL-DAYLIGHT-RUNNING-LIGHTS-HEADLIGHTS-/400746996481?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFord|Model%3AFocus&hash=item5d4e61e301

• Like 2

They look great, I hadn't noticed my head lamps were black already, for some reason I just assumed they were silver as well, just as well you mentioned it or I'd have probably got silver ones!

I've asked the seller the question but I'm not really sure how these DRLs work, it suggests they turn on with side lights which makes me wonder about dimming/turning off in the dark, don't really want rear side lights turned on all day either for that matter

I did read somewhere to only buy from reputable companies as many eBay items have crap optics on the projectors, worse then original stock lamps

• Like 2

Spent all night looking through stuff trying to find any wiring guide, they all say plug and play but don't go in to details on DRL operation , I know I can easily bodge it but I had kinda hoped I wouldn't need to start running wires around.

• Like 1

Spent all night looking through stuff trying to find any wiring guide, they all say plug and play but don't go in to details on DRL operation , I know I can easily bodge it but I had kinda hoped I wouldn't need to start running wires around.

If it's a entire headlamp unit the drl will replace your side light there comes on when side lights are on, you won't need to do any wiring.

On the question of dimming, drl only need dimming if they are more than a certain wattage, I think max wattage is 7W don't quote me on that though. If your unit doesn't produce that much light they won't need dimming.

If it does however it should be always on and dim once side lights come on

• Like 2

And that's the question, I have no idea about its output. id rather not have to turn the side lights on though, meaning having the rears on as well to get them working during the day.

ignition on DRL headlamps is what im after, bodging the Side lights to ignition on is straight forward enough but they look pretty bright in the pic, id have thought that would need Dimming / off with mains on.

Isnt there a question about DRLs and indicators as well, if they are close don't they need to dim to make it clearer your indicating?

• Like 1

Yes that's true but only if they certain wattage. Tough question

• Like 1

Think I might get these, there left and drive but i should be able to mod them or at the very least adjust them to keep them out of others eyes, the cut off is very tight so should be better than normal lights as their are, if its an issue for MOT ill just pop in the original ones back in.

http://www.sw-tuning.de/en/headlights/taillights/lights/FORD/Focus/Focus-04-07/headlights-Focus/angel-eye-headlights-Ford-Focus-Mk2-08-11-CCFL-halo-rims-black::2348.html

• Like 1

Not sure I like those ones buddy sorry. They are a bit in your face, check the size of that indicator and angel eyes with running lines? The design looks confused between a BMW and merc style drl

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with being bold.

Dig out Darren, it's your car and your choice.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with being bold.

Dig out Darren, it's your car and your choice.

All very true every man to his own choices indeed

• Like 1

Ah I dunno been doing loads of research over past couple of days, just seems the drls on other ones don't look very bright in the day, which kinda defeats the purpose, apparently the drls from that German one were running on 24v using a step up transformer and removing the lenses to convert them is a pure pain in the !Removed!, stepping up is fine but no one else lists the leds being 12-24v so wouldn't want to blow them out the box, I think om leaning towards the more stock look drls, see how far I can push the LEDs an if they blow swap them out and or shove in the fog drls as well

• Like 1

If I'm honest I don't think those look all that bright. Not seen any drl brighter than the fog grille type.

Led can operate on different voltage it doesn't have to be exactly 24v and once the car is running you'll have about 14v

My thoughts were to offset ultra bright with a larger area hence the halo, But that vid was apparently using 24v and there was auto brightness set on the cam which made them look bright then dim quite a bit. At a bit of a loss now, think I'll get normal halogen projectors with the DRL, and crack them open, sort out the LEDs and add auto dimming / ignition on, if that still looks a bit low I'll pop fog light DRLs in.

• Like 1

Parts ordered! Fog DRLs and new projector head lamps with LED "side lights", need too check the capacity on the step up transformer modules from the fog lamps, was hoping to connect up the headlamp LEDs to them to dim with the fog drls when side lights on.

Or maybe I'll not bother an be happy with it the way it is...

• Like 1

Wont they dim with side lights anyways without hooking upto fog drl?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

headlamps installed and finally levelled properly and the DRL fog lamps just arrived, should keep me busy tomorrow :D

I got the Speedline ones based on your advice here and they look impressive, very well made with some good care taken on the connectors an what not. I too got hit with the xmas party fund charges, which is odd, everything from China has always made it, 1 thing from Taiwan an I get hit! ah well, sods law or maybe conspiracy given the Chinese own practically everything...

anywho, the dimming unit, is there a reason we dim off the side lights an not the head lights?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

sure do

The kit, slightly different to the original ones posted, purchase from speedline though. As far as I can tell the biggest difference is just the Dimming / control unit, its just a single unit rather then two, the wires looked a wee bit more polished too, less connectors, more tidy.

WP_20140912_003.jpg

WP_20140912_004.jpg

WP_20140912_009.jpg

Worth noting its near on impossible to get true colour pictures of these on my camera, I can vouch that on full, these things are as bright as any OEM set you'll see on the road.

DSC_2867.jpg

DRLs on full

c474b55d-7e5c-4745-9905-061b001ca59a.jpg

Sidelights and 50% DRLs

5faf34e1-8a65-411b-98cc-01acca6ae3c4.jpg

• Like 1

Be worth it though, good fun installing them too! i mounted the control unit below and behind the headlamp by the fuse box, cable tied it to the underside of some support structure, the unit is apparently rated as being waterproof and dust proof. it looked it to me and is perhaps another reason not to get any old cheap version from eBay. I honestly cant fault the speedline gear, it might look the same from pictures but i was left feeling extremely comfortable with the quality of their gear, more than can be said of most stuff ive got out of china!

• Like 1

before i tidied up the wires and ties, but you cans see the cable coming up at the front, that's from the DRLs, the bumper support beam thing has the cable ties on. wire from the fuse box follows the headlight harness down.

DSC_2825.jpg

• Like 1