• 8,538 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

Cheers Lenny great. Answers .

thanks preee,
I devote my life to the forum while you live and enjoy yours ;)

#78 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,098 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

thanks preee,
I devote my life to the forum while you live and enjoy yours ;)

Lmao you wait now until your not around , i will answer all of your guides. :D

#79 Nickster

Nickster

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Name: Nick
  • Ford Model: Focus zetec s 1.6 tdci
  • Year: 2011

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Cheers for the great guide preee , got mine fitted today . Not received my piggyback fuse yet so its not properly wired up to the acc yet  .

20130519_110902copy.jpg

#80 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,098 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Looks great Nick , loving the colour of your car m8

#81 Nickster

Nickster

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Name: Nick
  • Ford Model: Focus zetec s 1.6 tdci
  • Year: 2011

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

Cheers Paul , sometimes wish i'd gone for silver after seeing how good yours looks !  and vision blue is a swine to paint match as i'm just finding out ... stupidly scratched the rear wheel arch right down to metal couple of weeks back :(

#82 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,608 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Guys, wondering if anyone can help me out! I have bought a set of DRL's that I am awaiting delivery of, I am currently trying to find the appropriate wire in which I need to attach the "DRL OFF" wire. I have seen the wiring schematics, but cant make out if the blue/orange cable is in fact for the headlight, or the sidelight. Can anyone interpret http://www.halfords....g/HaynesWDs.pdf for me and advise which wire is the sidelight?

I know that Paul's guide shows O/B however I am led to believe the wiring is different on my CMAX to a standard Focus on some things, and I want to be 100% sure :)

#83 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,098 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Jeeb

Best way is with a 12v tester , and turning your side lights on test which wore becomes live.

#84 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,608 posts
Contributor

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

not sure I have one of those! but I do have a multimeter, just dont have a clue how to use it! :P

Actually I do have a screwdriver electrical tester... Maybe I need to dig that out...

#85 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,608 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

Well My DRL's arrived, they are entirely aftermarket so a bit of bodging will be required...

I think I know which wire is the sidelight, so I need to cut a small split into it and wire the white into there and test it at some point. However I am struggling to find a wire I can splice into in the engine bay that is live only when the ignition is on. I saw a few things about piggy backing the fuse but I thought that it was the GEM that controlled it, inside the passenger footwell? so if I piggy back in the bonnet fusebox, which one should I piggy back onto? or is it best to splice?

if anyone can advise the fuse number to piggyback, I do have a piggy back ready to go to try :)

#86 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,608 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

OK so I went out to play in the light rain...

I found that if I hijack fuse 35 with a piggy back that seems to work fine :) now I just need it to dry out so that I can get out there and do the wiring properly!

#87 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,181 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
Contributor

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

Finally got around to installing these bad boys, had them for so long now. I am very pleased with these DRL's they look totally factory fitted, the brightness is awesome... not like those dull led strips that people have, these are very bright like genuine DRL's

The dimming feature works spot on. The installation process for me went rather smooth, i did not install the switch as i felt kind of lazy about routing cable through the firewall after seeing the hole behind the engine. don't think i will be installing the switch either although i have everything i need to do so since it all works effortlessly. 

Not sure of the exact distance but DRL's don't need to dim/go off when indicator is on, unless they are within a certain distance of the dipped/main beam lights. These lights are far enough away from the headlights hence no feature for going off when indicator is on.

It did not require any other tool than a flat head screwdriver to remove the headlights for easy access to the fogs. My kit had everything i needed, good amounts of cable ties, and with a sort of crimp that slices into the side light cable without stripping the insulation... i don't know if others had this but this was too less. (I did use a pliers to squeeze it together as my girly hands were not upto the job) With all honestly you can clip it together by hand.

Beside the fog lamp there was already a hole big enough to route the cable. i cannot tell if this is from the factory or not....

Another thing on my car i seem to have a second headlight wiring loom just laying about under under the headlight with more pins, it seems to have the same colours plus more than the standard headlight loom and same cable thickness etc. what is this for?

The piggyback fuse plugs in as normal, my kit came with colour pictures showing what seems like an MK2 fuse box and mk2.5 box... not sure if it's an mk2 but it shows a very similar fuse box with a slightly different layout. the mk2.5 picture showed where the fuse goes perfectly. 

During the installation i forgot to put back the 10 amp fuse alongside the 6 amp, this caused the engine management light to come on and a message on the display saying engine malfunction. I fitted the 10 amp fuse, took the car for a drive and error code disappeared. Without both fuse, the circuit is open which if the equivalent of of no connection.

Here are some pictures

Plastic clip/crimp that taps into the side light cable on the loom (taped up the white cable)

orz9.jpg

Earth cable and piggyback fuse loom

xx2j.jpg

Hole that was already there, with loom coming through
xs9t.jpg
0hzu.jpg

Daytime close up shot, 23c outside sun shining
y1pn.jpg

Daytime shot about 5 meters away in the shade of a multi story car park, as you can see they are extremely bright, especially from a distant

f0hh.jpg

I get ALOT of focus owners and none focus drivers looking at them, even mk3 owners, i think these look much smarter than the mk3 LED's. deffo a much nicer looking package. The DRL's sit exactly the same as the mondeo DRL's, this surely adds to the factory look

#88 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,608 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

I am a bit dubious to using the scotch locks, and think when I do it, I may end up splicing directly into the wire, has anyone else done this, or do most of you scotchlock?

#89 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,181 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
Contributor

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

I am a bit dubious to using the scotch locks, and think when I do it, I may end up splicing directly into the wire, has anyone else done this, or do most of you scotchlock?

Use it dude, the purpose of it isn't to carry any kind of high voltage therefore it doesn't need a very secured connection between the two wires. The control unit only needs a slight voltage change and that's the signal to dim the lights.

Has anyone tried to wire the white wire into the full beam wire so it turns off completely when full beams are on. I think i will attempt a go at this. TBH i am not totally sure how the control unit will handle this, as there will potentially be two signals at once being received, one from the blue and one from the white whenever side lights are on, and full beams are switched on.

Thinking about it, if the blue wire was tapped into the dipped beams instead of the side lights whenever full beams are switched on there would only be one signal received as dipped beams would switch off and in the process switch off the DRL's. This would  allow the DRL's to switch in between flashing of full beams.

#90 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,608 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

what colour scotch locks do you use? I have blue but not sure if this is too large... otherwise, if its a case of dig out a soldering iron and cut a nick into the wire then that might be as easy

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users