Do Not Sell My Personal Information

*** Fiesta Mk 7 Issue

BHeart

Hi

I've had my 2010 Fiesta Zetec 1.25 since new and not had any issues with it, in fact it has been really good and towards the end of October I took it to my local Ford dealer for it's first service and all was fine. They did not even pick any buckled alloys up and I was quite pleased about that.

Then a couple of weeks ago when I was going to work early in the morning, I put it into 1st an started to pull away and acceleration felt quite sluggish and not very responsive. It felt almost like there was a momentary fuel blockage which resulted in flat spots. This continued during acceleration right up until 30mph and beyond and when I reached my normal cruising speed of around 60mph, I backed off the throttle and then back on again and there was little to no response in picking up the speed again.

Having had no cause to complain about for around 13 months, I get the car is serviced and then I get the issue which could be linked to the service. Can anyone help with diagnosis please?

Regards

I've read other people post issues like this, it may be that the ecu has gone into a kind of "limp mode". I'll try and find the posts as they're on another forum.

Can't find them now. Is it happening all the time? Have you tired disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes to reset the ecu? This can clear the "limp mode", if that's what it is.

Agreed, the car could be in limp-home mode. It's a safety feature which limits the power output (and therefore strain on the engine) by limiting the RPM. Unplugging the negative cable is a good shout, but firstly I'd be inclined to drive the car and give it some stick, see if it will rev beyond say, 3,000RPM and take it from there. If you notice the engine stuttering past the point or simply refusing to rev any further, then disconnect the battery cable. Bear in mind though, that the ECU does this if there's a fault with one of the many onboard systems (to prevent further damage for example) so it could come back.

Dan

You're under warranty so just get the dealer to have a look... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Rog

Can't find them now. Is it happening all the time? Have you tired disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes to reset the ecu? This can clear the "limp mode", if that's what it is.

Hi Kingmunky

Many thanks for your positive feedback, but I will probably have the car looked at my local Ford dealership.

BHeart

Agreed, the car could be in limp-home mode. It's a safety feature which limits the power output (and therefore strain on the engine) by limiting the RPM. Unplugging the negative cable is a good shout, but firstly I'd be inclined to drive the car and give it some stick, see if it will rev beyond say, 3,000RPM and take it from there. If you notice the engine stuttering past the point or simply refusing to rev any further, then disconnect the battery cable. Bear in mind though, that the ECU does this if there's a fault with one of the many onboard systems (to prevent further damage for example) so it could come back.

Dan

Hi Dan

Thank you for your response. I'll probably not disconnect the negative cable just in case there is a fault. I will try driving the car as you described and see what the outcome is but, as stated in my reply to Kingmunky, I will have the car checked out by Ford.

Regards, BHeart

You're under warranty so just get the dealer to have a look... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Rog

Hi Rog

Cheers for you feedback. I think your advice to have the dealer check it is right on the money.

Thanks, BHeart

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'd just like to update the thread I started on 14th December.

Ok, the problem with the acceleration, engine stuttering and power output continued to get worse with the 'engine management" orange warning light flashing on and off and despite pushing the pedal to the floor, the car would not exceed more that 40mph @ about 2000rpm. so it appears that several members were correct in saying that the car could be in the 'limp home mode'.

I took my Fiesta into my local Ford dealer this morning and after describing the symptoms to the service agent, he to agreed that my car was displaying the classic 'limp home' features. I then got a call about an hour ago to say the my car was done and ready for collection. I thought great, but asked if they had found that the car was in the limp home mode and he said no, it was a faulty "coil pack" that needed replacing?

Naturally I'm pleased but does a faulty 'coil pack' display the same symptoms as a car in the limp home mode?

I'm picking the car up later this afternoon but, when I booked the car in, no mention was made of the car being under warranty so, as the car is around 15 months old with 7,200 on the clock, should this be covered under the warranty?

Thanks, BHeart

You have 3 year warranty with new cars and coil packs are covered yes. Had problems with my seat leon FR with coil packs and if they go they make your car run like crap... so it all makes sense.

Yes that should be covered by your warranty. There is no way a coil should fail after only 7.5k miles as a result of general wear and tear.