Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Tdci - Loss Of Power

nathanwalter

Hi, whilst driving recently on the motorway, I found that when I pressed the accelerator pedal down hard, the engine was very hesitant. It struggled to pick up. The engine seemed to be jerky and unresponsive. It only did it when I pushed the accelerator down fully and I had to release the accelerator pedal to keep going. If I accelerated slowly and smoothly, it didn't happen. I have tried it since and it still seems to be doing it. It felt like a fuel problem to me, but I have no idea really.

The car is a 57 plate Ford Focus TDCI 1.8 manual.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Hi, whilst driving recently on the motorway, I found that when I pressed the accelerator pedal down hard, the engine was very hesitant. It struggled to pick up. The engine seemed to be jerky and unresponsive. It only did it when I pushed the accelerator down fully and I had to release the accelerator pedal to keep going. If I accelerated slowly and smoothly, it didn't happen. I have tried it since and it still seems to be doing it. It felt like a fuel problem to me, but I have no idea really.

The car is a 57 plate Ford Focus TDCI 1.8 manual.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Hi and Welcome

When was the last time the Diesel filter was changed , may be a good place to start

Hi Preee and thanks for the welcome.

It had a full service in June. Would they have changed the filters?

Hi Preee and thanks for the welcome.

It had a full service in June. Would they have changed the filters?

TBH i'm not sure , was it specified on the service sheet? , i keep my service sheers for reference in case something goes wrong then i can go back and say hmm did you change this or or?

Yes good point. I'll check to see what it says.

Yeah fuel filters tend to be the cause of issues like this, could be that its clogged, so the full pressure of the fuel pump acting against it is what pushed the fuel through, but you probably got a bit of kangaroo hop with the slow acceleration?

check the fuel filter and replace if necessray. be careful not to confuse the diesel filter with the diesel particulate filter also.

Can you confirm to us what was replaced over the service intervals?

Just checked and only the oil and cabin filters were changed.

In that case it gives a good indication that the fuel filter may well be the cause of the issue. Other than that, I have known Spark/Glow plugs, HT leads, coil packs etc also be the cause, so start with the cheapest and get the fuel filter done first :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club