Photo
- - - - -

What Sensors Could Be Setting My Alarm Offf?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mikester

mikester

Drive it like a Granny

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

the last two nights my car alarm has gone off three times, one time I got in the car to check any messages and just saw "alarm triggered, check vehicle" which doesn't indicate what caused the false alarm.

The next time it happened I did the same, this time I got the message "bonnet open", there's no way my bonnet was open. Checked it, sure enough it was closed tight. I opened it anyway and dropped it shut just to be safe. No more alarms that night. But there was the following night, there's no wind or it wasn't even that cold, what sensor could be setting the alarm off?

Even better, is there a way to check what part of the car triggered the alarm? In the meantime how do I lock the car with the alarm disarmed?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Mariner

Mariner

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Name: Gary
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium Ecoboost 125 PS
  • Year: 2013

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

Sounds like a dodgy bonnet switch to me - have you checked the bonnet switch and wiring?

#3 mikester

mikester

Drive it like a Granny

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

Back to my car for lunch... wouldn't you know it, alarm gone off again!

I don't know where the sensor is under the bonnet, if I find it and unplug it will there be any other adverse effects (other than the security or lack of)?

I need a solution to turn the alarm off completely for now as I need a good nights sleep and am concerned about being away from the car for extended periods, anyone?

#4 orcomma

orcomma

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Name: Jimmy
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.6 [95] TDCi
  • Year: 2010

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

has your car ever had repairwork to the front?

#5 mikester

mikester

Drive it like a Granny

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

Never.

I haven't got my handbook on me, hopefully it'll say in there if I can lock the doors without the alarm. I'm out of warranty now so no chance am I going to the dealer. I'll just disconnect the alarm if I can't find the cause. Not sure how to isolate it without a notification system in the car ie what sensor is fubar!

#6 tomo2001

tomo2001

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

Bonnet switch wiring probably looking for closed contact when bonnet shut. If you unplug it this may still make the alarm sound as it will be open circuit (thinking the bonnet already open ?).
If you find connector to switch and disconnect it you will probably have to short out the connection with a piece of cable to simulate switch being in place and bonnet closed. This could be a good test to see if you do in fact have a faulty switch - I would suspect that before a wiring fault.
Switch may just be sticking with colder weather and be fixed with a good squirt of WD40.

#7 fordpartsman

fordpartsman

Area Rep: Midlands

• Super Mod
  • 536 posts
  • Name: Adam
  • Ford Model: Fiesta MK7 Zetec S 1.6 Tdci
  • Year: 2010

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

The bonnet switch is part of the latch mechanism mike. If you need a price just let me know

#8 mikester

mikester

Drive it like a Granny

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

Kk thanks adam. Will have a look at it tomoz see if some lube will fix it. I've locked the car with the key in door and used a disclok in the meantime, not sure if that doesn't activate alarm

#9 JamesFiestaZetec

JamesFiestaZetec

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S
  • Year: 2009

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

Hi, did you resolve this?

I have just bought a Fiesta Zetec S and am finding the alarm is going off too! It went of twice last night!!

I am taking mine in next Wednesday as still under warranty but is there a quick method you found out? I need sleep!!

#10 bigjock

bigjock

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Name: BigJock
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Fiesta Titanium, Nissan Juke Tekna
  • Year: 2008

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

anyone have any joy solving this, my alarm is now going off each time i look the car, various messages bonnet open, door open, boot open etc!!! grrrr!!

#11 William Crossey

William Crossey

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

if you have a radio code try disconecting the battery for half hour or so to reset the alarm module otherwise if you knew where the module was under the dash you could just disconect if in place of the battery. the bonnet catch is indeed inside the latch and sometimes the grease inside it when its cold or old gets sticky and makes it read wrong.. but the member with varous faults needs the module disconnected and reset or replaced if its went faulty and wd40 for the bonnet faults should wash and free it up. as for locking without arming the alarm if you pres the remote once so the doors lock and DO NOT press a second time as the alarm arms with the double locking, well it used to on the fiestas before the current model,lol..

#12 no1sdani

no1sdani

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta zetec s tdci

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Anyone try and figure this out?my dealer gets the part but is the wrong fitment.all he does is wd40 or resets it.last for 4-6 months then prob will have to do again.happened twice now.this is frustrating for me as I'm a driving instructor.cant risk this message coming up while test is happening.back to my 08 plate fiesta style,no sensors no headache.going to pickup my faulty car today.not looking forward to teaching in it again.

#13 mikester

mikester

Drive it like a Granny

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

You have PM.

It's a piece of pee fix, don't mess about disconnecting anything. Just buy a new latch, haven't had the warnings and false alarms since I replaced the latch at the start of last year.

Around £30 for the latch with perimeter sensor from fordpartsuk.com (sorry Adam, I know I should have come to you first!)

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users