Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Does Start/stop Work?

alans220

Hi all,

Had my new(ish) Focus for about 1 week now, 1.6TDCi.

Wasn't sure if it was fitted with the Start/Stop feature, but think that it is.

It has never operated yet, not sure how and when it kicks in.

I have a button below the Heater controls with an A on it, it lights up saying OFF if I press it.

I'm assuming that the system maybe faulty, do I need to do anything, when should it operate?

thanks

al

Hi Alan

My stop start system was faulty from day 1 there is another thread detailing this.

As its cold at the moment, if you are only doing short journeys you may not see it work. However if you can press the 'A' button and it lights up OFF and you can press it again and the light goes out then the system should function. If the OFF button lights up automatically while you are driving and you press the button and the OFF is still lit then there is a malfunction like on my car.

To test your car, go for a run but turn off the aircon/heater. Using this will put demand on the battery which may prevent the stop start system from working. The function will not work until the engine is up to a reasonable temperature.

When the system is functioning, if you stop at a junction for example and put the car in Neutral, when you release the clutch pedal the engine will stop and the display should show the 'A' symbol indicating Auto Restart. When you depress the clutch pedal to select 1st gear, the engine will automatically restart. Equally if the battery demands are increased eg turning the heater/lights/wipers on, this may also restart the car. Also is you start rolling forward, above approx. 2MPH the engine will also restart.

Give it a try and write back !!

Hi all,

Had my new(ish) Focus for about 1 week now, 1.6TDCi.

Wasn't sure if it was fitted with the Start/Stop feature, but think that it is.

It has never operated yet, not sure how and when it kicks in.

I have a button below the Heater controls with an A on it, it lights up saying OFF if I press it.

I'm assuming that the system maybe faulty, do I need to do anything, when should it operate?

thanks

al

Hi, from the manual, always a good thing to read :)

"PRINCIPLE OF OPERATION

CAUTION

For vehicles with Start-stop the battery requirement is different. It must be replaced by one of exactly the same specification as the original. The system reduces fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by shutting down the engine when the vehicle is idling, for example at traffic lights. The engine will automatically restart when the driver presses the clutch pedal or when required by a vehicle system, for example to recharge the battery. To obtain maximum benefit from the system, move the gear lever to the neutral position and release the clutch pedal during any stop of longer than 2 seconds.

USING START-STOP

WARNINGS

The engine may restart automatically if required by the system. See Principle of operation (page 130). Switch the ignition off before opening the bonnet or carrying out any maintenance. Always switch the ignition off before leaving your vehicle, as the system may have shut down the engine but the ignition will still be live. Note: The system only operates when the engine is warm and the outside temperature is between 0ºC (32ºF) and 30ºC (86ºF). Note: The system is on by default. To switch the system off, press the switch in the instrument panel. The system will only be de-activated for the current ignition cycle. To turn it on, press the switch again. For item location. See Quick start (page 10). Note: The Start-stop indicator will illuminate green when the engine shuts down. See Warning lamps and indicators (page 79). Note: The Start-stop indicator will flash amber, requiring you to select neutral or depress the clutch pedal. In conjunction a message will be shown in the display. Note: If the system detects a malfunction, it is deactivated. Have the system checked by a properly trained technician. Note: If you have switched the system off, the switch will be illuminated. Note: If you stall the engine, and then depress the clutch pedal within a couple of seconds, the system will automatically restart the engine. To stop the engine Note: The vehicle must be stationary. Note: If the system does not shut down the engine the condition will be shown in the information display. See Information messages (page 91).

1. Stop the vehicle.

2. Move the gear lever to the neutral position.

3. Release the clutch pedal.

4. Release the accelerator pedal. The system may not shut down the engine under certain conditions, for example:

• To maintain the interior climate.

• Low battery voltage.

• The outside temperature is too low or too high.

• The driver's door has been opened.

• Low engine operating temperature.

• Low brake system vacuum.

• If a road speed of 10 kph (6 mph) has not been exceeded.

To re-start the engine

Note: The gear lever must be in the neutral position. Depress the clutch pedal. The system may automatically restart the engine under certain conditions, for example:

• Low battery voltage.

• To maintain the interior climate.

My system has been faultless from new, but under these wintery condition it, obviously, will not operate.

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I have been driving around a fair bit, 180 miles during the last week,

it hasn't start/stopped once in all that time.

Will have to look into a little more.

al

Thanks Cuke, will have to be patient and wait for milder weather

Also, this morning got out of the car after about 10 mile trip and noticed the radiator

fan was running. Checked after 10 minutes and it was still running. Started the engine then switched off and it had stopped.

Something else to keep an eye on.

Lots of learning to do, but enjoying the drive more and more.

this morning got out of the car after about 10 mile trip and noticed the radiator

fan was running. Checked after 10 minutes and it was still running. Started the engine then switched off and it had stopped.

I learnt form here the other day, this probably means you've interrupted a DPF regeneration... if this happens a lot, the you will need to take the car for a little journey at 2000-3000rpm... i do a few junctions up the A1 if this happens to mine.

• Like 1

Thanks Cuke, will have to be patient and wait for milder weather

Also, this morning got out of the car after about 10 mile trip and noticed the radiator

Alan

Mine has worked every day this week even in the cold weather but normally a 5 or 6 mile trip before it starts to cut in. In milder weather it can work after driving 1/2 mile.

This may/may not help.

Whilst working in finland (september/october) I had a fairly new vw golf with this feature. It always worked, towards mid/end of october when leaving for work it was normally between 0 and 3 degrees C. However the system may operate in a different way to the fords system.

• Like 1

As mentioned. Make sure the air-con is off

Given the weather, you will likely have the heater aimed at the window ... this automatically puts the air con on

Thanks for the replies, no air con normally, no start stop either.

Not too concerned because not even sure that I would like it to operate.

No warning lights or anything on the displays, just the off button which glows when it it switched off.

Off topic, slightly dissappointed with the MPG so far, around 40mpg, but mostly been short cold journeys.

al

No warning lights or anything on the displays, just the off button which glows when it it switched off.

Off topic, slightly dissappointed with the MPG so far, around 40mpg, but mostly been short cold journeys.

al

I'm currently getting around 44mpg... before the cold snap i was seeing 48...

• Like 1

al

Hi Alan

Another post of mine was regarding the fuel economy. I get around 460 miles out of a tank at best. Think my best mpg was 46.6, my car now has nearly 12k on and I have seen no little or no improvement. Stop/Start neglible as to whether it improves my economy as most of my miles are on the motorway.

I'm currently getting around 44mpg... before the cold snap i was seeing 48...

Hi, you will notice a fall in mpg as diesels are notoriously bad at warming up in cold weather...

Chris

Here you go Alan, sorry about pic quality. Just drove car 0.8 miles in 3°C temperature and Auto Stop/Start system functioning. Green 'A' on instrument cluster indicating that engine has stopped.

post-22744-0-22026800-1324208021_thumb.j

Thanks tomo, never seen that symbol before, looks like mine is faulty.

al

al

Mine was faulty from new, dealer replaced complete clutch pedal assembly. (GK Ford - Chesterfield)

• Like 1

al

Hi, no it doesn't at all, that symbol only appears when the stop/start has shut down the engine, otherwise you'll not see it. You've had the car for a week when the temps have dipped really low, especially in your part of the world. By all means get it checked out, but, as I stated, mine isn't kicking in with these current air temps either, thus no symbol, and I live on the south coast. Besides how could the car stop the engine with the car trying to maintain the interior temperature of say 21c? This week we might see a rise in temps but personally, unless you are seeing any warning indicators, I wouldn't worry about it until the outside temps really do warm up more then see if it works or not.

Chris

Thanks, fair point, I always have interior heating on (too) high, love it to be hot!

Will hold on this for a while, as I said in an earlier post not even sure if I want it to work.

Sounds ok in theory, but...

Getting to like the car more and more, is very different from the Kuga that we had before.

The Kuga is a great car, and looks like the Focus is too.

al

Thanks, fair point, I always have interior heating on (too) high, love it to be hot!

Will hold on this for a while, as I said in an earlier post not even sure if I want it to work.

Getting to like the car more and more, is very different from the Kuga that we had before.

al

To be honest, it can be a bit of a pain in the backside in queuing traffic, hence the dash button to switch it off

Hi agreed, if the traffic is stop start then having something like start-stop wouldn't be enjoyable...

Chris

• Like 1

al

Hi, yes, having the heater on very high in the winter is the same as having it too low in the summer, the start-stop just won't kick in as some have found out. I always thought of the Kuga as being a up-market crossover focus. The new one based on the Mk3 Focus is out next summer, if the focus is anything to go on the Kuga will be stunning http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/motorshows/los-angeles-motor-show/275176/new_ford_kuga_revealed.html

Chris

Just as a heads up, most stop starts will also refuse to work if the battery is less than (I think) 73% charged. if less than this, it will ignore your setting and not run.

The combination of the cold, takes its toll ont he battery and also helps to run it down quicker, so you may find that its also part of the problem.

I would say its more likely to be the cold, however you should check in with your dealer, and you should write to them advising them of the fault.

At least this way, if its still a problem come warmer weather, they cant say "you didnt tell us before now"

Thanks all for the advice/help.

Had a longish trip today, and when I got back near to home, turned the heating controls down,

stopped at some traffic lights and the engine stopped, and the light came on the dash.

Started straight away when the clutch was pressed.

Impressed, but still not sure if it's worthwhile.

Love the car though, gets better everyday.

al