Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Illegally Spaced Registration Plates

Harvey19

Hey guys,

Been a while since I posted I'm ashamed to say! Anyway I just wondered what your thoughts are on personal registration plates which have illegal spacing?

I just bought the rights to the registration:

H5 RVX

Now as my name is Harvey, I'm looking to rearrange the spacing so that it reads:

H5RV X

Excuse the kiss, but there really wasn't anything closer that I could of had!

Please let me know you thoughts, and if you have had any experiences with illegal spacing then let me know! No negative/offensive comments please, this is down to personal preference and I would just like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!!!

Looking good matey ;)

Seen lotsa plates like that......

• Like 1

Looks good mate when it's mot time I would swap them back to how they was otherwise will fail mot but does look good

Hi

I think that playing about with spacing can create some good effects and I've always thought that it's harmless. The law says you can't do it because it makes it harder for coppers and cameras to read the plate - However, modern number plate cameras are very accurate and have no problem with spacing.

Chances are that if it's in normal type face you will have no bother except at MOT time when you will be best off putting normally spaced plates back on.

There is always the possibility of a bored traffic copper pulling you for the spacing. If you do it will probably be a lecture and being told to put the spacing back how it should be. Technically, you can get a fixed penalty ticket (no points) for this.

Cheers

Rog

I have a friend who's been pulled 2 or 3 times in the last few months for illegal spacing, they've since changed back to standard spacing because they didn't want the hassle any more. They were never fined etc, just told to change them.

I don't see it as a big problem, illegal spacing is better than illegal fonts!

I've seen the odd person at the side of a road at the rear of their cars with police pointing at the plate (coz of illegal re-spacing). Personally I wouldnt want the hassle

I don't see it as a big problem, illegal spacing is better than illegal fonts!

The bit people are forgetting though is... its "illegal" and therefore shouldn't be done or actively encouraged imo =/

• Like 1

Personally I don't see why it should matter if it's ABC 123 or AB C123 as long as it's clear that's what it says.

It's people using stupid fonts that get me, can't believe they get away with it.

At the end of the day though it's still illegal and when the copper pulls you over the excuse "people on the internet told me to" will not go down very well.

Cheers for the response guys! Good to see a variation of opinion. Fortunately I have no mot for 2 years: Think I'll have bought a new car by then. Sounds like it's worth doing, I just feel that without the spacing it really doesnt have the same effect. Will try my luck, I live in the countryside of Bedfordshire so that should help :P Thanks!

Haha dont worry I wont blame you lot if I get caught, I never understand why people bother with fonts either. It just draws more negative attention to you. I'll be keeping everything else fully legit ;D

Haha dont worry I wont blame you lot if I get caught, I never understand why people bother with fonts either. It just draws more negative attention to you. I'll be keeping everything else fully legit ;D

I think most Police cars these days are fitted with ANPR cameras which notice far more than their drivers do. My guess is that illegal spacing will always be spotted and it depends how busy they are as to whether you get pulled. The DVLA do have the power to confiscate or withdraw personal plates even though you have paid for them.

Oh yes and confiscate they do, if you get pulled 3 times, I had 1 fixed penalty and 2 producers in a week the following week got pulled again and the plates where confiscated, never to be seen again

My missus mum has plates with the spacing wrong, has done for years on various mercs... never been pulled...

My mate has one too, on a kitted focus, gets pulled loads!!

I think if they see a car that they may be able to find more illegalities on than just spacing they pull you.. otherwise i dont think its worth their paperwork..

BTW, where abouts in beds are u mate??

another problem you may find,it is also illegal for a company to make the plates with incorrect spacing as it will be classed as a show plate hence illegal, and instant traffic womble pulling material.

Good point, although I have actually had show plates for the past six years, on this car and on my last car which I had for four years. Never been a problem as nothing was obviously illegal about them, just wanted my own side badge, border and footer.

TDCIST: I live in a village called Greenfield which feeds just off of Flitwick. Heard of either?

I see you're from Hertfordshire, I used to live there in Welwyn Garden City - Panshanger :)

I know flitwick... The company i work for runs a leisure centre there lol!!

I live in hitchin, so a little north of Welwyn lol!

I know this is the wrong place, but any herts/Beds meets coming up??

Ah awesome man! Yea I know that leisure centre haha :P

Also I go through Hitchin nearly every day, when travelling to Hertfordshire Uni.

So it's a small world!

Not sure buddy, hopefully though!

bneeco: That sucks, how did you change your spacing then? Never really had much trouble with my Fiesta as it's only a standard white zetec. So hoping this will carry on. I know that people with more sported up cars such as your self may tend to get more grief. Which must be a pain :\

TDCIST: I live in a village called Greenfield which feeds just off of Flitwick. Heard of either?

I see you're from Hertfordshire, I used to live there in Welwyn Garden City - Panshanger :)

I live in Panshanger... the land of dreams...

Anyway, on topic, i would not risk illegal plates... too many mates of mine have been pulled in hertfordshire for it. They are quite hot on pulling people it seems in our home county.

Each to their own though.

Nice!! Where abouts in Panshanger? Anyway I live in Bedfordshire now so that's not a problem :)

I lived in Panshanger for the best part of 25 years (Herns Lane, then Hillyfields). My Dad and youngest bro still live there. There's far worse places in this country you could live! I still live in WGC...

With the illegally spaced plates, I think that if your car stands out then your plates will tend to stand out too. Withonly "slightly illegal" plates you'll probably be OK most of the time but, as they say - you pays ya money, you takes ya chances...

Cheers

Rog

How funny, I spent my childhood walking to and back from the school that sits on that road... Springmead!!

So it's a very VERY small world :P

Yea, I'm hoping I'll be fine with my car :)

I live in Panshanger... the land of dreams...

LOL!

I've flown from panshanger in various small aircraft...

tend to fly from Henlow now with my mate when he's home tho...

Ive just ordered some "Show Plates" for my other half... one letter is spaced different... I've told her all about it, but she still wants it! lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club