Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zetec S Rear Skirt

mikesrob

Hi,

I intend to fit the zetec s rear skirt and front lower grille to my focus Titanium 08 plate, would I need to tell my insurance company about this modification, even though it is only for appearance and not increasing the power of the car. Also I want to change the rear fog light cover to clear as in Lenny's post.Would these add much to the insurance premium, Mike.

• Like 1

Hi,

I intend to fit the zetec s rear skirt and front lower grille to my focus Titanium 08 plate, would I need to tell my insurance company about this modification, even though it is only for appearance and not increasing the power of the car. Also I want to change the rear fog light cover to clear as in Lenny's post.Would these add much to the insurance premium, Mike.

the lens no the bumpers will add as they make the car more desireable and were not standard call them and ask they may not increase it at all just not pay out for those parts

• Like 1

Hi MikesRob,

Insurance companies need to know of any modification to the vehicle, in which the vehicle is not the same condition as the day it left the factory.

So, bodyskirts / bumpers / wheels (even Winter Tyres apparently!) need to be advised to the insurance company.

Small changes (changing bulbs to LED in the cockpit or changing the sidelights to LED, shouldnt matter.

in fact the best way to think of it is as follows:

1) Does my car physically look different at an external glance to how it was from factory?

2) Has my cars performance improved, beyond a standard service?

3) Would my car attract more attention?

4) Has / Will a change I have made affect the handling of the car (again this is why Winter Tyres apparently need reporting!)

If you answer Yes to any of these, the insurers would expect you to advise them, and I would say you should. Last thing you want is them turning up to review your car, telling you that your insurance is null and void and you have to pay for it all out of pocket!

Its better to tell them, and them say "I dont care" or "I have made a note" (or slightly worse still) "That will increase your premium by a few pounds", than for them to say "well done sir, your insurance is null and void, good luck finding the £40,000 to replace yours and their cars!".

I removed the locking wheel nuts from my Focus due to certain issues with them. I advised the insurers, they told me that had I not reported it, and my wheels were stolen, then my entire car policy would have been null and void.