Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Restoration

JoeyTaffy93

I originally posted this thread on mg-rover.org as I'm obviously more active on there as I own a Rover, but I may as well post it up on here too with it being a Ford and I will most likely get more help on here by fellow Ford owners.

I'm planning to restore my parents Mk2 Mondeo to the standards it used to be. It's mainly damage to bumpers, which seems common on these Mk2 Mondeo's, and damage to the rear passenger door. The reason for the restoration is because the car will be used until July when it may be replaced with a Mk3 Mondeo or a smaller Rover 25.

It's a 1998 1.8 Ford Mondeo Verona (though badged LX?) with approx 113k on the clock. It's been a reliable car in the past, passed all but 1 MOT first time, been involved in a front end smash and was repaired, back when insurance companies didn't write cars off for slight damage. It has had HGF 3 times though which I find quite funny as my dad says Rover's are unreliable!

Exterior:

2011-12-21104953.jpg

2011-12-21105106.jpg

2011-12-21104620.jpg

2011-12-21104930.jpg

2011-12-21104916.jpg

2011-12-21104858.jpg

2011-12-21104637.jpg

Interior:

2011-12-21104703.jpg

2011-12-21104756.jpg

Engine bay:

2011-12-21105037.jpg

Only thing I've done so far was clean the engine bay up ever so slightly, here is how it stands at the moment.

2011-12-21113123.jpg

I was then advised on mg-rover.org to check the pollen filter, so I did and I found this... I think it needs replacing.

2011-12-21154058.jpg

2011-12-21154114.jpg

Things to do:

1. Pollen filter

2. Aeroflat wipers

3. service engine

4. Replace bumpers

5. Fix boot - keeps dropping randomly, won't hold. Also struggles to shut, it has to be slammed hard

6. Replace rear passenger door

7. Try to pull out dent and clear up rust

Comments please.

• 1 month later...

Just to let you all know, the restoration hasn't gone any where other than some aeroflat wipers were ordered yesterday as the passenger side wiper isn't clearing to requirements so it's cheaper to get a set off eBay.

Futher progress is unsure though as we've recently acquired a '99 V-reg Rover 414 with about 45,000 miles on the clock. It's likely we'll be getting rid of the Mondeo and using that instead as it's lower mileage, cheaper tax, insurance, and will be better on fuel.

Will let you all know what happens as well as a pic of the aeroflats when they arrive.

It's MOT is due at the beginning of May too but it's seatbelt light is on, any ideas?

I to have come accross a mk1 mondeo estate 1.8 16v lx model estate. Its got pretty much the same issues as yours in terms of body work problems. Where do you source your parts from? The car was owned by my grand parents and has only covered 41k. The engine is abosolutely mint. The engine oil is golden still as its been serviced every 2 thousand miles. Its run out of mot but it hasnt been driven sinse its last mot so it should sale through. Ive got a couple of issue with a leak in front and rear passenger side footwells and the hand brake light isnt coming on when i apply the hand brake. Other than it needing a damn good clean and a few parts like window rubbers etc then it should be a good little runner.

Your seatbelt light sounds like it could be a warn sensor or broken wire.

Your seatbelt light sounds like it could be a warn sensor or broken wire.

I'm led to believe it could be the under seat connectors? My old Rover 200 suffered the same issue, cleaned them and it worked, I should really try that with the Mondeo.

Aeroflats arrived whilst I was in Wales so I fitted them a few minutes ago, such an upgrade to the standard wipers on these.

2012-02-08152721.jpg

looks good mate a nice project and welcome to the forum,

ive found somthing you may like, its a Brand New genuine ford verona badge

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-GENUINE-FORD-VERONA-BADGE-Mondeo-1-8-2-0i-S-/280553142792?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4152453a08

some petrol and a cloth will remove the LX from the rear.

looks good mate a nice project and welcome to the forum,

ive found somthing you may like, its a Brand New genuine ford verona badge

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4152453a08

some petrol and a cloth will remove the LX from the rear.

Thanks for the welcome and the link. :) I'll see what my parents have to say about me changing the badges as the car is theirs and not mine. As I said though, major updates on a temporary hold at the moment as it may be replaced by a Rover we've acquired. We'll see though as my dad does love the Mondeo!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club