Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide Fitting St Gauge Pod To Focus Tdci Dash

Lenny

ah, that's a bit more than I was looking to folk out when you include the shipping, there is no urgency just now, just one of those things I keep an eye on fleebay for.

9 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

ah, that's a bit more than I was looking to folk out when you include the shipping, there is no urgency just now, just one of those things I keep an eye on fleebay for.

Unfortunately I don't live in the UK I could do it much cheaper if I was,

Shipping is the same on imports only advantage this way is parcelmotel which provides a UK shipping address to members of there service in Ireland saves a lot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

This company started to follow me on Pinterest tonight,

So I looked to see what it is they do and found this 10" android dash panel thought id link you: 

http://www.seicane.com/10-2-inch-oem-android-radio-2004-2011-ford-focus-mk2-manual-air-condition-gps-navigation-system-bluetooth-capacitive-touch-screen-tpms-dvr-obd-ii-rear-camera-aux-3g-wifi-hd-1080p-video-headrest-monitor-control-usb-sd-s085690 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm all but decided not to bother with the computer display, I can fit and make it work ok, but the software will never be any good and I cant be arsed with having a display boot up and buttons need pushed to get it to work correctly, I want it to just work and I don't have the software knowledge to make that happen. so I think I might just go for the gauges.  any idea if a 52mm boost gauge and 2 45mm temp and oil presure gauges would fit in?  I used your picture a couple of pages back and it might just fit from what I can see but it would be real tight if it would fit?

if not I'm looking at a boost and a one other, I was thinking oil temp would be better for knowing when shes ready for some fun, anyone have any thoughts on that? pressure or temp, which would be best if you can only have one

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

I think I'm all but decided not to bother with the computer display, I can fit and make it work ok, but the software will never be any good and I cant be arsed with having a display boot up and buttons need pushed to get it to work correctly, I want it to just work and I don't have the software knowledge to make that happen. so I think I might just go for the gauges.  any idea if a 52mm boost gauge and 2 45mm temp and oil presure gauges would fit in?  I used your picture a couple of pages back and it might just fit from what I can see but it would be real tight if it would fit?

if not I'm looking at a boost and a one other, I was thinking oil temp would be better for knowing when shes ready for some fun, anyone have any thoughts on that? pressure or temp, which would be best if you can only have one

Temperature would be better and more accurate than the factory gauge,

Three gauges would be tight but you could fit two LED indicator sensors in the middle such as battery monitor and shift light.

The gauges sit in at 45 degrees which allows full view of the 52mm face without the need to have 52mm height on the face of the pod.

My Ford Racing kit is still available now listed on eBay if looking for somthing ready built. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lenny said:

Temperature would be better and more accurate than the factory gauge,

Three gauges would be tight but you could fit two LED indicator sensors in the middle such as battery monitor and shift light.

The gauges sit in at 45 degrees which allows full view of the 52mm face without the need to have 52mm height on the face of the pod.

My Ford Racing kit is still available now listed on eBay if looking for somthing ready built. 

Cool, temp it is, ive been looking at prosport electric gauges, slightly smaller than mechanical and slightly easier to wire up, I'm much more comfortable with electrical things then plumbing in oil feeds and hoses, knowing my luck id be driving down the M1 and id get lit up like some ww2 aeroplane with the oil and fire spraying about my face! :D

the idea of a ready made solution was really tempting in fact I'm watching your eBay listing just now but I don't have the cash for something like that, this will need to be a project for a number of months. Ill get the senders installed and wired in, ive got my eye on a 3 bar boost gauge which will probably need to be got new as no one has 3 bar gauges on ebay and with a bit of luck a cheap second hand temp gauge from someone selling a set of prosport gauges, temp pressure and boost, (2 bar) can sell off the other two with a bit of luck and make my money back!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

They look sporty, 

Won't really need the vacuum part of the gauge on a diesel but still looks the part👍

• Like 1

Yeah, but trying to find a gauge up to 3bar or 40PSI for less than 100 quid is almost impossible, you can find some crap truck gauges that crank up to 60PSI but that just looks daft, the vac numbers might come in handy later.  If I have done my homework right I hope to get a bargain on the oil temp sensor, it always helps when a selling doesn't know what they are selling :D they are probably stolen but what I don't know for sure wont hurt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

Yeah, but trying to find a gauge up to 3bar or 40PSI for less than 100 quid is almost impossible, you can find some crap truck gauges that crank up to 60PSI but that just looks daft, the vac numbers might come in handy later.  If I have done my homework right I hope to get a bargain on the oil temp sensor, it always helps when a selling doesn't know what they are selling :D they are probably stolen but what I don't know for sure wont hurt.

Sensors generally come along with the gauges mate, even when I bought cheap as chips white faced gauges before for my starlet 20 pounds each and still came with sensors. 

yeah, that one didn't, it was three gauges, boost temp and pressure without the senders.  the seller might have been an idiot but it turns out the buyers knew what they were getting.  since I only needed one of them I couldn't justify pushing on with it, esp for a second hand unit with half the stuff missing.  they sold for 70 quid.

so it turns out that the thread size on the 1.6tdci sump is an M10 fitting, meaning I cant use that as means to get a temp sensor installed.

And because of the external cartridge we have for an oil filter I cant use a sandwich plate so I don't suppose you know of the best place to insert the temp prove?  I think it will need to be tapped in to the side of the sump but I'm hoping there is another alternative!?

edit

I'm thinking I might be able to cut the 1/8NPT thread in to an M10, so long as the base it wide enough it might be able to replace the sump plug

5 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

yeah, that one didn't, it was three gauges, boost temp and pressure without the senders.  the seller might have been an idiot but it turns out the buyers knew what they were getting.  since I only needed one of them I couldn't justify pushing on with it, esp for a second hand unit with half the stuff missing.  they sold for 70 quid.

so it turns out that the thread size on the 1.6tdci sump is an M10 fitting, meaning I cant use that as means to get a temp sensor installed.

And because of the external cartridge we have for an oil filter I cant use a sandwich plate so I don't suppose you know of the best place to insert the temp prove?  I think it will need to be tapped in to the side of the sump but I'm hoping there is another alternative!?

edit

I'm thinking I might be able to cut the 1/8NPT thread in to an M10, so long as the base it wide enough it might be able to replace the sump plug

There are short braided adaptors available which extend 4-5 inches allowing the socket at the top with an additional threaded socket on the side for an aftermarket sensor. 

would that work with a temp sensor though, I can see those working for pressure but wouldn't it need a flow running past it?

5 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

would that work with a temp sensor though, I can see those working for pressure but wouldn't it need a flow running past it?

True mate,

For temp would need to be submerged in oil or passing flow.

Perhaps a replacement turbo feed pipe with extra socket

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lenny said:

True mate,

For temp would need to be submerged in oil or passing flow.

Perhaps a replacement turbo feed pipe with extra socket

I think the best place for it is the filter but unless that can be converted to a cartridge filter I think I'm stuck with using the sump, Im not keen on restricting the oil to the turbo and I don't think there is anything else that's easily accessible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That looks spot on, very brave too!! think I'll have a go at that, my car already has a storage tray with a lid on the dash, looks the same shape, do you know if that will be a straight swap so I won't need to cut the dash?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SuperOwls said:

That looks spot on, very brave too!! think I'll have a go at that, my car already has a storage tray with a lid on the dash, looks the same shape, do you know if that will be a straight swap so I won't need to cut the dash?

This will be a straight swap for you,

Just take out the Speedo cluser unit to allow access to the clips; squeeze and push upwards.

I'm currently selling this complet kit I've replaced it with dash storage.

opposite of what your doing.

1_zpsk0xeizhd.jpg

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Lenny said:

I will be selling this complete custom ST gauge pod and dash section complete with both of the official Ford Racing gauges and the intercooler pipe with Roose Motorsport pipe adaptor and brand new oil pressure sensor; everything required to complete this guide including auto dimmer.

everything except the plastic boost pipe hose (to link gauge to intercooler) which are available new for under 10 pounds

it's just not worth removing battery and firewall grommet to retrieve it since there only 10 quid new. 

And considering the Ford Racing  gauges themselves retail at 100GBP - 120GBP each and are universal fit to any model

I'm selling the complete kit for 140GBP including tracked shipping if interested payment via PayPal that's a saving of over 190 pounds

Cheers👍

Thanks Lenny, I might be interested in that if you still got it in next month or so, I've just bought zetec s rear diffuser and front lip and both need painting and fitting so that's my spending money spoken for this month. Gauges are next on list after they've been fitted tho

• Like 1

Sweet job pal looks really good I was thinking doing this while back but my patients are low and have no dash left and possibly no car if things went wrong.

love the gauges though nice work pal 👌

• Like 1

The contents of this guide have just been Sold 👍

• 2 weeks later...

So my conversion is going ok, finally managed to get the pod surround installed, what a job, unbelievable hard work, ive created my Gauges, a temp and boost gauge, heres a wee video of the gauges in action and some pictures of the install

WP_20160911_15_12_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20160911_15_22_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20160911_16_31_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20160911_17_41_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20160911_17_46_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20160911_18_55_51_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ya, Dancer!

Its in and working, the oil temp sensor was a bit of a pain, replaced the sump and tapped a sensor in to the side of it, it was a bit of a job taking nearly 4 hours but we got there, sump can be removed without the DPF getting removed, I unscrewed the studs as someone on here suggested to help pry it off, unfortunately one stud was welded in place and broke, the other one above the exhaust was fine though so used a thin metal scraper to separate the sump from the engine after a bit of effort it popped off, there was about 100ml of thick black sticky oil in the bottom which didn't look healthy but it was lump free, pickup was pristine and no obvious signs of carbon build up or wear on the  pistons etc. so all in all a job well done, operating temp for the oil seems to be between 80 and 90c, it idles at 80 and cruises at 90ish, ill take it for a thrashing once the roads dry up a bit and see how hot it gets.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this wee project!

:)

Now, whats next......  :D

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I know I'm churning up a thread here but is there a PDF guide for all of this as good ol' Photobucket has taken all the pictures away from the first few posts making things a little hard to visualise :wallbash: