Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide Fitting St Gauge Pod To Focus Tdci Dash

Lenny

Very nice work Lenny , wish i had a Diesel now as i'd be fitting some gauges , water temp and volts would not have the same effect as having a boost gauge for me

Thanks Pree

It would work for you though mate,

you still have an option of oil pressiure, oil temperature, water temperature, volts, and air/fuel ratio :)

• Like 1

Thanks Pree

It would work for you though mate,

you still have an option of oil pressiure, oil temperature, water temperature, volts, and air/fuel ratio :)

Very true Lenny

I will see what 2012 brings lol , until then i will admire yours ;)

• Like 1

nice work lenny and another top quality guide... i agree with pree 'wish i had a diesel' lol as i think this look the dogs swingers!!!

i guess you could have an additional rev dial but apart from that i doubt you would get the same effect lol

• Like 2

just a quick one... i like the way you have purchased a dremel after the trouble you had with the rear badge LED lol seems to have helped loads!!

• Like 1

nice work lenny and another top quality guide... i agree with pree 'wish i had a diesel' lol as i think this look the dogs swingers!!!

i guess you could have an additional rev dial but apart from that i doubt you would get the same effect lol

just a quick one... i like the way you have purchased a dremel after the trouble you had with the rear badge LED lol seems to have helped loads!!

Hi mate,

thanks very much for the comments :D you could always fit oil temp and oil preissure gauges, or water temp they are very easy to fit aftermarket gauges, i used to own a 1.3N/A Toyota starlet and i didnt have a turbo but i did have five gauges fitted in it lol the only one i havent fitted before is a boost gauge,

and the Dremel was a christmas gift from a good friend who saw the masterpiece i made of the rear badge trying to use a 4mm drill bit perform like a dremel and took pitty on me bought me the dremel for christmas very nice of them and the best tool i have ever used, everyone should buy a dremel its like a hot knife through butter with excellent preecision B)

very nice work, and quality guide!

Well Done Lenny!

• Like 1

very nice work, and quality guide!

Well Done Lenny!

Cheers Mate!

Plan to purchase the two ford racing gauges both boost and oil preissure, in the coming weeks, so the last post on the guide should be edited by mid febuary depending on delivery times of the gauges,

once this guide is complete i will create a downloadable PDF copy of the guide and add it to the first post,

others can then download and print it, allowing them to refer to it while performing the modification them selves. B)

ive gotten the configuration of the ford racing gauges both oil pressiure and boost,

so ive done a more specific diagram to fitting both these perticular gauges,

Untitled.png

you are a LEGEND mate.

Cheers mate,:D

ive just found out my ford gauges are mechanical, so that means i have to run an oil pipe to the rear of the gauge lol heres hoping i never get any leaks behind the actual gauge, i would have preferred the electronic type where a pressure sensor fits next to the oil filter and sends electronic signal to the gauge in the dash, rather than the oil itself :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Image1429.jpg

Image1427.jpg

Ford Racing Gauges and cables arrive tomorrow, 52mm holesaw and arbor arrives tuesday and this guide will be complete with downloadable PDF file before 1pm wednesday.

tight schedule, you cleary dont mess about haha. looking forward to seeing the end result!!

• Like 1

Lenny, any updates on this? I got my gauge pod from eBay for £35 delivered! waiting to see your results before I even think about starting on mine. Also have purchased agenuine Sony DAB stereo so will be fitting that or getting it fitted at some point.

• Like 1

Hi mate,

I’ve been trying to delay feedback on this one lol i have discovered that the face of the ST pod wont be of use

so if you are doing this modification don’t use the face of the original st pod mate, the angle is too straight for the gauges to fit inside the pod.

so the new plan is to purchase two 52mm single pod holders :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SINGLE-PEDESTAL-POD-SUITS-ALL-KNOWN-52mm-2-GAUGES-/130553322466?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e65959be2

stick then to the dash section of the pod with double sided sticky pads,

then fit the hood of the pod over them in place like a roof

Image1380.jpg

this way the gauges will sit at a better angle and allow more of the 52mm gauges to be visible,

then i will need to get a small section of persepcs and cut it to shape to fill the space around the 2 pods,

on the up side though,

i managed to get the gauges all wired up to the interior lights and the ignition feed.

all that is left to do is run a cable from the pod through to the engine for the oil pressure sensor,

fit the oil pressure sensor in place

and also run the boost pipe and fit it in place, but that one has a catch too

because i have a 1.6tdci i dont have a boost feed that i can tap in to,

Induction.png

so i need to tap in to the pipe on the intercooler system, so i need to get an elbow hose made up with a 3mm nipple on the side of it so as i can connect the boost pipe, like the one in the picture below.

bespokehose1small.jpg

its come a long way, and another bit to go before its complete lol

The main thing holding me up at the moment is funds, so the project is on hold until next month,

The shopping list is:

3metre of 6amp cable to run a sensor feed to the oil gauge,

Two 52mm single pod gauge holders,

oil pressure sensor T piece adaptor

Custom built elbow hose with 3mm nipple fitted.

So looking at another £100-£120 to complete mate. ive updated the guide with pictures of how it looks at the momment, ill add some text to it later today.

Lenny, i used these gauge sunshields:

http://mcgillmotorsports.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=563

and put some gauges into them and moulded the gauge holder into shapes and made this:

05032010381.jpg

the sunshields were fit back to front as they were used to hold the gauges in place only. maybe you could use these and attach them to the front of the pod holder so there is enough space for the gauges to fit?

• Like 1

Lenny, i used these gauge sunshields:

maybe you could use these and attach them to the front of the pod holder so there is enough space for the gauges to fit?

that looks excellent mate, i love the way you put the shades in side ways so as the gauges point at the driver, sweet B)

thanks for sharing the information on this with me, unfortunitly it wouldnt work on the pod mate, because the internal size of the pod isind deep enough to accept all of the gauge when fitted in horizontal, because the curve at the rear of the pod makes the internal smaller,

so the only option is to do the same as leemaxd has done, and fit the gauges in seperate to the pod housing itself,

so that means fitting the gauges in single pods at a 45 degree angle facing up toward the driver, and the rear of the gauges is practicly on the dash and only the top of the gauge enters the pod area so nothing touches the inside of the pod.

and sit the st pod over that so then it gives the apperance that the gauges are mounted to the pod itself.

and the plus side you also see more of the 52mm gauges doing it his way,

had my way worked out for me, i would only see half the 52mm gauge

here is a picture of leemaxed fitted and i think his gauges are 60mm so the 52mm will display a little more gauge.

they are fitted in single pods that are mounted on the dash inside the pod, and the pod it sitting on top to give the apperance of the gauges being fitted to the pod itself B)

bc186540.jpg

thanks to leemaxd for sharing his information on this,

ive also done some research on the manufacture of a intercooler pipe with the take off to fit the boost gauge, and for the new pipe to be built would cost me around £80 just for the pipe :wacko: and i would need to donate my existing pipe to aid the manufacture process,

so :P that, ive decided to opt for a self sealing adaptor instead and ill drill the induction pip i have on the car, and create my own take off which i can screw the 1/8 NPT connection on to and get an accurate reading on the gauge,

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item33702f112a

so that leaves the shopping list at £70 to complete the gauges lol roll on next month.

• Like 1

good news my friend. :)

you got a good deal on your ST pod mate,

when are you planning to fit it ?

I'm waiting for you to finish yours before i decide on what to do with mine. might have to have a closer look at leemaxd's gauge pod...

• Like 1

I'm waiting for you to finish yours before i decide on what to do with mine. might have to have a closer look at leemaxd's gauge pod...

i should have the final pieces to finish this on the 7th or 8th Febuary mate,

i might get the st pod, strip out the gauges and custom fit an aftermarket parrot system to enable bluetooth haha

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What a brilliant thread! Massive round of applause to all concerned ! How brave are you fella's taking a dremel to your 10 reg motors!

My focus is the titanium spec, so, there is a flip up panel with a shallowish cubby below for things like sunglasses, phone chargers etc, where the ST dial pod would sit...

I bought a dial pod last year, a 3 dial affair.... My thinking was to keep the flip up panel, and bond and smooth the pod on top of the panel, so i'd have ST type gauges, PLUS the convenience of the flip up panel and cubby below (which is pretty handy i must admit) But having read this thread, and eyeing things up, my original idea wouldn't have worked out too well as the top of the pod would sit too high upon the panel, as the gauges couldn't really have "sunk" like on the ST....

I'll now (thanks to you guys) adapt an ST pod Shell, to house 2 plasma dial gauges

( I've fitted 2 gauges plus a plasma clock to my ford freda,see link below)

The dials have a nifty "boot up" sequence, and only cost about £18 each, and work pretty well... Hopefully i'll go for a volt gauge, and a boost gauge on my 2.0 TDCI focus... Like Lenny, the trick will be hardwiring in the boost gauge for an accurate reading.

I'll start gathering a few bits and bobs in the meantime, and keep a close eye on this thread for updates... Well done chaps! You're an inspiration! B)

• Like 1

What a brilliant thread! Massive round of applause to all concerned ! How brave are you fella's taking a dremel to your 10 reg motors!

I'll start gathering a few bits and bobs in the meantime, and keep a close eye on this thread for updates... Well done chaps! You're an inspiration! B)

Thanks mate

good to have you as a member of the forum, you have done some fantastic modifications yourself ;)

Cheers bud! I'm getting there mate... I don't hink i have the patience to do the guides on here though, much as i'd like to help people out, i just KNOW i'd forget to take pictures as i go along, i get far too involved in what i'm doing to stop for a cig/cuppa/snap/wee! :huh:

• Like 1