Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:14 PM

Leemaxd, pop some pics of your pod on here then ;)

Lenny, hats off to you sir for doing this awesome guide and having the balls to cut open your dash

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 7,426 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS & Toyota Levin BZR
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

I really enjoyed doing mine, the mess gets everywhere such a good feeling when it all pops into place :)

Totally agree with you 100% mate,
its so much work cutting it out and you dont know if your right or wrong until you sit the piece in to place,
i was so focused on cutting the holes, that i was on the last one and i didnt even realise it lol

it great though, id cut another one no problem i really enjoyed doing this Modification and thanks for the comments mate, B)

Leemaxd, pop some pics of your pod on here then ;)

Lenny, hats off to you sir for doing this awesome guide and having the balls to cut open your dash

Thanks very much for your kind words and it was leemaxd who informed me that it was all possible so i cant take all of the credit on this one,
Leemaxd was the first i ever saw to have fitted the pod and im the second person to do it on here,
that i am aware of but its 100% worth it.

and it wasnt as big of step in to the wild for me as it must have been for Leemaxd when he started to cut his
atleast i knew if i run in to trouble i could contact someone for help on it. now both of us can help anyone considering this Modification.

#18 Leemaxd

Leemaxd

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus zetec s

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:44 PM

The pics are on here somewhere but here you go.
Posted Image

#19 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 7,426 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:51 PM

The pics are on here somewhere but here you go.

Cheers Lee,
what sort of boost is it reading mate and is yours a 1.6TDCi ?

gauges look sweet, i cant wait to buy mine also what pipe do you tap in to for the boost gauge,
is their an electronic box that hooks to a pipe in the engine bay or did you have to run a boost pipe to the rear of the gauge.

#20 Leemaxd

Leemaxd

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus zetec s

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:25 AM

Mines the 1.8 Lenny, I run a boost pipe into the engine bay and tapped into the map sensor tubing.
It peeks at about 1.8 bar on full boost.

#21 MattyS

MattyS

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Name: Matthew
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Zetec S

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

Looking good! :)

#22 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 7,426 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:36 AM

Mines the 1.8 Lenny, I run a boost pipe into the engine bay and tapped into the map sensor tubing.
It peeks at about 1.8 bar on full boost.

Sweet B)

ive fitted all different gauges before, volts, water temp, oil temp and oil preissure,but ive never fitted a boost gauge
so i will be in touch when i get that one mate,

also ive added some more images to the guide,

i got out and cleaned it yesterday removed the centre console, glove box, side panels on the dash, and the panel under the steering coulmn,
piles of dust every where lol gave it a good hoover and two packets of simonez matt dash wipes, took me five hours :lol:
inside and outside the dash so i think ive gotten all of the dust now, i havent pushed the pod down in to the dash yet im waiting to fit the gauges then fit it the once, encase its a struggle to remove again with all the clips it has on it. :D

#23 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

sweet guys, Lee the pics look good. what gauges are you running.

Lenny, i have to admire your dedication to the job, you certainly have put in some hours on this job. would it be possible to do it using a stanley knife instead of a dremel (purely for less mess purposes?)

#24 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 7,426 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

sweet guys, Lee the pics look good. what gauges are you running.

Lenny, i have to admire your dedication to the job, you certainly have put in some hours on this job. would it be possible to do it using a stanley knife instead of a dremel (purely for less mess purposes?)

Thank you very much for the understanding and apprecieation, ;)

1 hour to cut the Pod rings and remove the electronic gauges,
7 hours to remove clocks, vents and cut out the Dash in the focus,
5 hours to remove panels and clean up the car after cutting
1 hour to write the Guide. B)

end result is timeless though mate, well worth all the effort and i dont see time spent on my car or time writing the guides as time wasted neither,
i love every minute of it and i would do it all again tomorrow.

it would be possible to cut with a stanley blade mate, their are 3 layers to the dash,
the top layer is the rubber leather type coating that we all pollish
then their is 10mm of foam
followed by 2mm of hard plastic,

so you could cut through the foam with a stanley blade, then using a flat screwdriver prise the foam off the plastic layer,

once down to the plastic layer you could drill a series of holes then cut to shape with a hack-saw blade like this Click Here
or use a dremil at that stage,
most of the mess with me was caused by the foam so if you cut it away with a knife, then its just the plastic which doesnt cause any dust just pearings.

and if you still dont want to use a dremil, then this tool is ideal for drilling up through the plastic base from inside the dash, Click Here

or this one click here

Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,059 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

Very nice work Lenny , wish i had a Diesel now as i'd be fitting some gauges , water temp and volts would not have the same effect as having a boost gauge for me

#26 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 7,426 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

Very nice work Lenny , wish i had a Diesel now as i'd be fitting some gauges , water temp and volts would not have the same effect as having a boost gauge for me

Thanks Pree
It would work for you though mate,
you still have an option of oil pressiure, oil temperature, water temperature, volts, and air/fuel ratio :)

#27 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,059 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

Thanks Pree
It would work for you though mate,
you still have an option of oil pressiure, oil temperature, water temperature, volts, and air/fuel ratio :)

Very true Lenny

I will see what 2012 brings lol , until then i will admire yours ;)

#28 alkyz89

alkyz89

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Name: Aaron
  • Ford Model: focus zetec S

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

nice work lenny and another top quality guide... i agree with pree 'wish i had a diesel' lol as i think this look the dogs swingers!!!
i guess you could have an additional rev dial but apart from that i doubt you would get the same effect lol

#29 alkyz89

alkyz89

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Name: Aaron
  • Ford Model: focus zetec S

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

just a quick one... i like the way you have purchased a dremel after the trouble you had with the rear badge LED lol seems to have helped loads!!

#30 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 7,426 posts
Contributor

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

nice work lenny and another top quality guide... i agree with pree 'wish i had a diesel' lol as i think this look the dogs swingers!!!
i guess you could have an additional rev dial but apart from that i doubt you would get the same effect lol

just a quick one... i like the way you have purchased a dremel after the trouble you had with the rear badge LED lol seems to have helped loads!!

Hi mate,
thanks very much for the comments :D you could always fit oil temp and oil preissure gauges, or water temp they are very easy to fit aftermarket gauges, i used to own a 1.3N/A Toyota starlet and i didnt have a turbo but i did have five gauges fitted in it lol the only one i havent fitted before is a boost gauge,

and the Dremel was a christmas gift from a good friend who saw the masterpiece i made of the rear badge trying to use a 4mm drill bit perform like a dremel and took pitty on me bought me the dremel for christmas very nice of them and the best tool i have ever used, everyone should buy a dremel its like a hot knife through butter with excellent preecision B)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users