Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Project I'm Doing Next

Preee

Decided to look at fitting some Rear DRL lights.

First checked out the rear lights and found that in between the indicator and brake lights there is a position for another light :D .

So off to eBay and order this lot.

1) http://www.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

W5W bulb Holders

2) http://www.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

W5W 9 SMD LED Bulbs

3) http://www.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Twin core 10m of 11a auto cable

4) http://www.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Small project box

5) http://www.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Multi value resistor Pack of 175 various ohms

6) http://www.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Diodes 12v 1.3w

7) http://www.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Mini 5 Pin Relay

Using the relay 5 pin i will use both 87 and 87a with diode on main circuit full brightness and pin 87 reduced brightness via resistor, Ignition on and then side light to reduce :)

Sit back and waiting game now for all my bits.

This is what i intend to do:

diagramu.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good! where abouts are you going to mount them??

Im going to mount them inside the rear light cluster there is a blank in between the other two

• Like 1

All these ideas, so little money. Lads yer killin me here lol

• Like 2

All these ideas, so little money. Lads yer killin me here lol

Hopefully this will be the cheapest dimming rear DRL £25.68 for all the parts , although i did order 2 sets of the bulbs just in case one does not work.

There are lots of Mods i'd love to do , Zetec S kit , new alloys etc , but i'm keeping the outside standard for now :)

But this is more of a "i'm bored project" as i have the Front DRL's i wanted something at the back.

• Like 1

your same as me. Think some tints and bbs replica wheels are gonna be my next jobs. First of all i need to get some 6000k bulbs for my RS headlights

• Like 1

I Cant Wait to see these Come togeather, Top Class Quality Modification mate, 099.gif

i take my hat off to you on this oneOLA.gif

I Cant Wait to see these Come togeather, Top Class Quality Modification mate, 099.gif

i take my hat off to you on this oneOLA.gif

Cheers Lenny i'm going to start experimenting tomorrow with some bits i have see if my theory works , i need to double check the light cluster tomorrow to make sure that the blanked space actually goes through into the cluster lol , i hope it does.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the outcome on this one Paul.

I have to say I am envious of you. I cant understand wiring diagrams, and would love to be able to - just so that I could do my own mods!

Very considerate of Ford to leave you that nice little space in the cluster!

• Like 1

Hopefully this will be the cheapest dimming rear DRL £25.68 for all the parts , although i did order 2 sets of the bulbs just in case one does not work.

There are lots of Mods i'd love to do , Zetec S kit , new Alloys etc , but i'm keeping the outside standard for now :)

But this is more of a "i'm bored project" as i have the Front DRL's i wanted something at the back.

Aren't DRL's so people can see you coming ?? You planning on reversing everywhere ?? LOL ;)

Aren't DRL's so people can see you coming ?? You planning on reversing everywhere ?? LOL ;)

In case i spin the car on ice :lol:

• Like 2

Close inspection of the light cluster is not good news , there is a blanking plate covering the LED light insert in the cluster , removing the 3 T6 screws still does not allow enough room inside the light to get the blanking plate out as they have made it so the blanking plate has a drop side on it .There is no way of getting it out with out some major operation on the lights which i will not be doing , so i will be looking at plan B which is to fit the bulb inside the same Bay as the Brake light ,about half way up should give me clearence .HopeFully :lol:

• Like 1

Thats a shame Preee, but good that you have a backup plan!

• Like 1

Thats a shame Preee, but good that you have a backup plan!

Ive got to admit since ure using sidelights to power the drls youre rear lights will be on anyway it does seem a rather pointless exercise and im sure somewhere there would be legality issues. Cars dont have them if u want to do it consideqg led strips near the rear fog and reverse lights. Mot inspectors are meticulous about lights especialy on the rear

Ive got to admit since ure using sidelights to power the drls youre rear lights will be on anyway it does seem a rather pointless exercise and im sure somewhere there would be legality issues. Cars dont have them if u want to do it consideqg led strips near the rear fog and reverse lights. Mot inspectors are meticulous about lights especialy on the rear

In the diagram i have drawn i am only using the side light circuit to power down the light's or Dim them if i decide to dim them , with the relay, hence daytime running lights.They will be ON with ACC and controlled OFF or Dim with side light circuit.Volvo have used lights to the rear since the stone age so as long as i am showing correct colour and intensity i will not be breaking any law requirements.

My plan is to keep them as per my front DRL's away from the primary lighting circuits , as long as the rear intensity of the LED's are lower than the Brake light function.

The fact remains that Ford while constructing the Cluster have used a blanking plate that will not come out without breaking it , if you remove the light cluster and read the back of the lights the middle section has written on "12v Led" , not that i'm saying it was for a DRL.

If i go ahead and fit them , they will have to be inserted into the Side/Brake light section of the cluster , when i get all my parts and test it , then i will decide if iwant to go ahead and fit them.

• Like 1

Fair point artscot, however the later C or S Max (cant recall which exactly) has rear DRL's so I dont think that it will be so much a problem, however maybe utilising the side lights, and LED with a switch will then cut the power to the actual side light bulb/s (rear included) and just draw the power to the DRL's?

Fair point artscot, however the later C or S Max (cant recall which exactly) has rear DRL's so I dont think that it will be so much a problem, however maybe utilising the side lights, and LED with a switch will then cut the power to the actual side light bulb/s (rear included) and just draw the power to the DRL's?

no offence guys im trying to imagine it in my head and as you know you get a picture of what you think it will look like not what it actually looks like .it will be interesting to see them when they are done and how it all works out

*UPDATE*

Still waiting for the LEDS and Holders from China , the resitors i ordered still have no arrived from UK! , so i guess i will be giving that guy a crappy feed back unless he hurrys up.

Anyway as i was bored i went to Maplins and brought a Bench power supply , i was usuing a standard adapter , it gives 13.8v constant so at least i now have a better voltage to play around with , i also brought some resitors.

Mocked up with some LEDS the same as my Door handles LEDS , and found the correct resistors to Dim them to approx 50% , 8.2v , any more and they are either to Dim or not enough to light them at all. Left running for 30 minutes and all components were still cold , so no heat to worry about.

So i will be making some changes to my final circuit , i will be adding 2 small LEDS to the project box so if anything goes wrong with them i can check the state with out taking the box apart , one LED to show power and one LED to show when in reduced state.

I will have to do final testing when the Bulb LED's arrive , i plan to fully protect both sides of the circuit with diodes + and - side's .

I will then Fully solder it all together and test , switching via the 5 pin relay works a treat.

It will then just be a case of IF i actually fit them to the rear cluster , and if i don't fit them then i will still have made a DRL 12v circuit :P

I know I dont own the Foci Preee, but if you pull this off well and truely, I will resist the urge of coming to find you with parts, and asking you to fit front and rear's to my Cee'd :P lol

Are you sure you have seen DRL's on the C or S Max and not LED tail lights ? The Mondeo and new Focus in Titanium/Titanium X trim also have this feature but they're deffo not DRL's. :)

Could well be to be honest, I suppose come to think of it I have never seen the LED's and taillights on at the same time... lol

Had a busy day making the DRL circuit , had to modify the original circuit due to the LED's wanting more power in Dim mode and the resistor set up i had was reducing to much also added 2 small LED's to the control box so if they go wrong i will be able to see from the box at what state they are in.

Now i need to move on to stage 2 and do some testing with the cluster and rear lights , firstly to make sure that at standard brightness they don't over power or are equal to the brake lights , if they do then (plan B)

Made a quick video of them being tested to prove the circuit works.

Looking Great mate!

Thats some neat circuitboard work there!

Looking Great mate!

Thats some neat circuitboard work there!

Thanks Dave , it sure was fun making it and for it to actually work lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club