• FOC Supporters
  • 2,405 posts
  • Name: Charlie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 115BHP
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

looks excellent mate,
the new clear unit looks a little brighter than the left one but this is due to the one on the right having a red bulb still in place giving a little bit of red tint in the unit thus making it look a shade brighter than the left on when a picture is taken.
but they are a pefect match in reality.
also dont purchase a mirror finish red fog bulb because they shine out pink instead of red lol
best results fit a cree red fog light along with the cree reverse ones.

In that picture mate there is no bulb in the new unit lol if you look carefully you can see the bulb hanging down in front of the tyre. Just popped the clear unit in for a quick photo then removed it and put the old red fog unit back in so I never bothered putting the bulb in clear unit.

I know mate meant to say in my previous post I was gonna get a red cree fog bulb. Gonna be about 40quid on bulbs ain't it? lol

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#77 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,334 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

I meant to say in my previous post I was gonna get a red cree fog bulb. Gonna be about 40quid on bulbs ain't it? lol

yes around £35 - £40 ive just recently purchased the red cree fog light bulb for mine,
i had a silver red fog light bulb fitted before that but the cree's are defo worth the spend.

#78 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,405 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

For anyone looking for bulb holders just seen these:

MK4 Bulb holder:
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c614764b0

MK1/2 Bulb holder:
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27c1ec01f3

MK1/2 Plug:
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27c182d11f

Grrr these listings have ended and I can't seem to find any more of them. Knew I should have ordered them ages ago :(

#79 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,474 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...4-/200805459559

#80 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,405 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

Here's the new clear unit compared to the original fog unit. Isn't genuine ford but it does the job

Posted Image
Posted Image

#81 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,405 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...4-/200805459559

Nice one mate already seen that though, contacted the seller if they would sell just one of them, and if they happen to have any plugs to go with it.

Can't see any plugs on ebay, messaged round a load of breakers but there's too !Removed! many to message round. Gotta play another waiting game now to see if any will get back to me.

#82 .Ryan

.Ryan

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Name: Rhino
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S 115
  • Year: 2014

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

Spoke to that ebay seller, confirms they are not genuine Ford. Part of me is tempted to pay the extra few quid for a genuine unit.

#83 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,405 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

I know mate knew they wasn't genuine ford but to be fair once its in you'd never know the difference. Functions and looks exactly the same, only difference is the markings on the back.

#84 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,334 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

I know mate knew they wasn't genuine ford but to be fair once its in you'd never know the difference. Functions and looks exactly the same, only difference is the markings on the back.

and you would probably be drilling through the markings to fit the second socket anyways. :)

while driving to work this morning i was thinking about the dual reverse lighting etc.
and at the momment when the rear fog light is active and you put the car in to reverse,
bot the red and white light are beaming from the drivers side reverse/fog unit and looks a bit odd.

but while driving in rain and fog this morning,
i came up with this idea
if i was to fit one of the auto off dimmers from Gen labs inside the boot panel and wire it to switch off the fog light when reverse is active,
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35bf33e5c2

then every time the rear fog light is switched on,
and the car is put in to reverse.
it will turn off the rear fog while reverse is active and then immediately put the red fog back on when the car is not in reverse.
but only when the fog light is switched on as normal inside the car.

#85 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,405 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

and you would probably be drilling through the markings to fit the second socket anyways. :)

Exactly my thinking mate thats why I couldnt be arsed paying 35quid for a genuine unit when I can get an as good as unit for 20quid when I'm only gonna butcher a hole in the back of it with me dremel anyway :P

but while driving in rain and fog this morning,
i came up with this idea
if i was to fit one of the auto off dimmers from Gen labs inside the boot panel and wire it to switch off the fog light when reverse is active,
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35bf33e5c2

then every time the rear fog light is switched on,
and the car is put in to reverse.
it will turn off the rear fog while reverse is active and then immediately put the red fog back on when the car is not in reverse.
but only when the fog light is switched on as normal inside the car.

Clever boy as always mate. Very clever indeed ;) I did think the same at one point about it looking odd when both are on, but I dunno when I'll ever actually get round to using my fogs anyway so I'll be alright for now. Hopefully ordering my bulbs this week and fitting it all next week if I'm still outa work.

#86 gforce

gforce

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Name: Gary
  • Ford Model: Ford Mondeo ST 2.2 TDCi

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

Gathering up the parts for this myself at the minute...

Got a genuine clear unit a while back for £7 BIN on the bay, and just got a stock one there now complete with bulb and holder to use as a donor unit for a fiver, so I'll still have my old standard one in one piece as well. There's a seller does the plugs on ebay for £3-4 so just need one of those and the 4m of wire now (if I can't find any lying around the shed). Don't think I'll be spending on the Cree bulbs just yet though. I'd find it hard to justify about £40 for bulbs that are so rarely used...especially the fog. Understand that the reverse bulbs would be a massive upgrade, but I'll see how I get on with two standard ones first I think.

PS Lenny, did you get my last PM reply a few days back? I hadn't got the chance to reply to you quickly and I think you may have 'left the conversation' then before I did. Just lookin a quick advisory on puttin the 12V socket in the boot.

#87 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,334 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Gathering up the parts for this myself at the minute...

Got a genuine clear unit a while back for £7 BIN on the bay, and just got a stock one there now complete with bulb and holder to use as a donor unit for a fiver, so I'll still have my old standard one in one piece as well. There's a seller does the plugs on ebay for £3-4 so just need one of those and the 4m of wire now (if I can't find any lying around the shed). Don't think I'll be spending on the Cree bulbs just yet though. I'd find it hard to justify about £40 for bulbs that are so rarely used...especially the fog. Understand that the reverse bulbs would be a massive upgrade, but I'll see how I get on with two standard ones first I think.

PS Lenny, did you get my last PM reply a few days back? I hadn't got the chance to reply to you quickly and I think you may have 'left the conversation' then before I did. Just lookin a quick advisory on puttin the 12V socket in the boot.

Look foward to the results mate,
3m of cable is enough but its sold in 2m lengths and 3m is required.
I missed your response via pm the last day mate sorry I don't usually do that sort of thing I always respond.
I have gotten todays pm though and responded.
Also shop around for the cree's mate you may get another bargin but I've heard bad reports on buying them directly from china on ebay. They send the cree bulbs but they don't work when fitted.

#88 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,334 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

Clever boy as always mate. Very clever indeed ;) I did think the same at one point about it looking odd when both are on, but I dunno when I'll ever actually get round to using my fogs anyway so I'll be alright for now.

I've purchased a Gen Labs auto off relay today for the rear fog light to switch off while reverse is active,
I'll post again when it arrives and fitted for those who may be interested.

#89 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,405 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

but I've heard bad reports on buying them directly from china on ebay. They send the cree bulbs but they don't work when fitted.

Then they take the pee trying to get out of giving you a refund and you end up raising a case with ebay.

Shopped around and got my cree fog bulb for 9quid so saved a fiver and it actually does work. Just gotta see if my new reverse lights work now when they come.

#90 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,405 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Decided to get started on this and butchered my new clear unit ready for when the rest of the parts come. My 2 cree reverse bulbs, the bulb holder n the socket are in the post so if I'm lucky I'll have em by friday so then I can just wire it all up and job done.

Till then I've got this ready, leaving it aside over night to dry and I'll be cutting the hole in me bumper tomorrow.

Posted Image

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users