Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Remote Key Dead

somhairle

I have an 08 2.0TDCI and my spare remote has failed. I seldom use it but when I tried over Christmas it was dead. It opens manually and starts the car OK but it won't deactivate the alarm and unlock the doors remotely.

Tried replacing the battery but no difference.

Anyone know if there is anything else I can try or is the key just dead? The other key works fine.

The key needs reprogramming with the alarm and central locking codes certain key cutting pleases can do it

The transponder is working fine and the key has only forgotten the central locking code for your car, it's an easy self fix.

If you've got your car manual somewhere i'm pretty sure it's covered in there as well.

Try this first courtesy of http://www.mirez.co.uk/KeyProg.htm

Radio Frequency Programming Instructions:

• Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds.
  • Remove the ignition key. The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds and the red warning system LED (By the clock) stays on continuously to indicate this.
  • During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons. The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED.
  • Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON.

This should hopefully solve your problem.:)

Thanks, Stoney871. I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out.

It did work. Thanks for the help, Stoney.

BTW.......checked the handbook and it does not tell you how to reset the keys. Only advises to contact the dealer.

Really glad it worked out for you ok.

Typical about your manual though.

They advise you to contact the dealer so they can charge for an hours labour and all the other crap they tell you.

My dealer's answer to everything is they need to do a diagnostic before they do anything else which takes "4" hours and costs £120+.

All they do is plug in a diagnostic terminal and sod off for a tea break.

Then as you found out yourself the key reprogramming takes all of what? a minute?

Robbing gets.

Hope i don't get edited for saying so but anyone in the Plymouth area - avoid Vospers as they are crooks.

I go to Ford in Kigsbridge which is a good 20 miles away but they are far better and don't give you any old pony.

My own opinion of course, i'm sure plenty of people get good service from Vospers but i don't

vosper has to be the worst body shop in plymouth.. and the service dept are no better ..i used to use chaddlewood garages till vospers bought them out ..now i use a local garage in oreston

vosper has to be the worst body shop in plymouth.. and the service dept are no better ..i used to use chaddlewood garages till vospers bought them out ..now i use a local garage in oreston

Ah.. so it's not just me then!

I thought maybe they just didn't like me as i'm a copper.

I must be getting a persecution complex.:huh:

As a rule of thumb i avoid any garage that does a lot of taxi work as they are usually as twisted as a twisty thing and charge extra to offset their mates rates for taxi drivers.

I use Curtis Ball just off the city centre as they don't rob you blind or take the pee out of you.

Also whatever you do don't ever use the MOT centre on billacombe road, they are rogues, my workmate took his car to them for an MOT and they failed him on so many things he was being asked £1000+ for work, he queried this and they got really agressive and were threatening to not release his car.

When he produced his warrant card they nearly papped themselves.

I had used them for MOT's before and on 2 seperate occasions they gave me advisories for excessive front brake disc wear. Went to another garage and was categorically told that my discs were perfectly ok. Avoid like the plague.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

i did mine you turn the key in the ignition 4 times till you hear a beep then press any button on the key fob and it should beep back at you if it does all done and should work mine does now with no props

What's the best thing to do if you have done all of the above but it still doesn't work?

Friend of mine has an 06 plate focus estate that has the same issues about not being able to use remote central locking - the key works fine to unlock the door and start the car. We have both tried to re-program as above but it still doesn't work.

Does this mean that the key is knackered and need to get a new one? Or is there a way to get around this - have tried the usual in replacing the battery also but this didn't work either

Buy a new fob and swap over the blade and the immobiliser chip.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to bring up such an old thread. 

Im trying to reprogram my key as the buttons aren't working. I'm turning the key in the ignition til the noise comes but once I've taken the key out of the ignition, the led by the clock, doesn't stay on as described above. Can anyone shed any light as to why this might be?

41 minutes ago, Jay T said:

I'm turning the key in the ignition til the noise comes but once I've taken the key out of the ignition, the led by the clock, doesn't stay on as described above.

Hi,

What car have you got? They do vary.

My Focus handbook says "Do not remove the key from the ignition when pressing the button on this remote control"

It also says that all your controls (including the original) should be programmed at the same time.

Note The immobiliser function is normally entirely independent of the remote control function. A separate chip buried in the key contains the immobiliser ID, and is sensed by a coil close to the the ignition switch. Programming remote controls should not affect the immobiliser in any way.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

i have a Mk3 Mondeo. 52 plate if that helps. 

my car didn't come with a handbook when I bought it, so trying to search through the Internet is my only option at the moment.

• Like 1

Have you checked or changed the battery in the key fob?

And do you have a 2nd remote control key fob that works?

If you can't find anything better, you could try the Focus procedure, I don't see it will do any harm as the key does not work anyway.

It advises closing doors & fastening seat-belts to avoid conflicting chimes.

1) Turn Ignition to position 2 (Ign. On) four times in six seconds. Turn key to position 0. A tone indicates it is now possible to programme controls for 10 seconds. (I think this ten seconds may be extended each time you programme a key).

2) Press any button on the new (or old I assume) control. A tone will sound (this should confirm battery ok). Repeat this step for all your controls, including the original (if you have more than one) Do not remove key from ignition while doing this.

3) Switch ignition back on (Pos 2) or wait ten seconds. Only the controls you have just programmed will now unlock/lock the vehicle.

If all else fails, keep this thread alive by adding bits now & again, and someone else will chip in.

Peter.

Well I've just changed the battery to make sure and that hasn't had any effect. 

You did assume correctly though. It is an old key I'm using so I think that may be the source of the problem. But if anyone else knows another procedure then I'm happy to give them a go. 

Cheers for your help though Peter 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jay T said:

once I've taken the key out of the ignition, the led by the clock, doesn't stay on

Quite an odd symptom. It sounds like the LED is going out before you press any buttons on the control. That suggests it is nothing to do with the remote control itself.

I presume the key you are using will start the car? IE it has the appropriate PATS (immoboliser) chip.

The procedure could be wrong for the car, but the one you gave seems to match the mk3 Mondeo.

That really only leaves a problem with the car itself. Maybe someone else here has some knowledge?

Peter.

Position 0 to 2 4 times in 6 seconds then 0, it will chime , press and hold any button on fob and chime should be heard if no chime then sounds like remote fob is faulty/ battery inserted wrong way.

Have you only 1 remote fob?

Unfortunately yes, I only have one remote fob. 

Its starts the car fine, but having tried both procedures above, it sounds like it's knackered.

7 hours ago, Jay T said:

having tried both procedures above, it sounds like it's knackered.

Clive's procedure is almost word for word identical to the Focus Mk2 procedure, except they have added:

"Do not remove the key from the ignition when pressing the button on this remote control." to the Focus one,

(which is still compatible with the Mondeo procedure from Clive).

I think Ford compatible key fobs (without PATS or the mechanical key blade, just the remote), are quite cheap on eBay etc. Don't know if they work, but worth a try. Nothing much to lose.

Better than unlocking manually, then having half a second (or so it seems) to get the key in the ignition before the alarm goes off. Or does the Mk3 Mondeo not do this?

A full key with remote, PATS & key blade is probably very expensive.

37 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

From Mk3 Mondeo manual-

20160620_224711.jpg

like i said.lol

• Like 1

It's still not working, may look for a cheap one from eBay. cheers for your help guys.

Not being sarcastic or anything like that but have you checked the battery is the right way round and the contacts fully touching?

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club