Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Ford Focus Mk3 1.6 Tdci Re-Map

focus11

Hi Guys,

So I've found someone who can remap the new Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi, after e-mailing them a few questions:

Hi I have just a few questions:

How much will the re-map for my vehicle cost?

Also where will the nearest place be for me, or do you offer a call-out service?

Is the e-Motion unit available for my vehicle, if not, then will it be in the future?

Finally when it goes into the dealer for servicing, if they update the ECU with their own new map, will you replace it with the re-mapped software free of charge?

Thanks Regards

Their Reply was:

Thank you for your enquiry with Celtic Tuning, leaders in Electronic Engine Enhancements.

With a global dealer network and full mobile operations in England and Wales, we pride ourselves on both the quality of our software and the delivery of our work. The benefit of choosing Celtic Tuning over the competition is quite simply that, unlike most others, we actually write & develop our own software in house giving us endless flexibility to provide the tuning solution that suits you.

All of our work is developed and tested on our state of the art dynamometer, the Dastek 750. With full monitoring facilities for all engine parameters, it enables us to provide the safest software upgrades for your vehicle without detriment to the longevity of your engine/drive train and all of which is fully MOT compliant for emissions testing.

The 1.6 TDCi engines we can take from 113bhp up to 145bhp and from 199lbft torque up to 240lbft torque giving a very impressive performance gain and all within safe design tolerance of the engine and drive train components. Our ‘fast road’ software is designed to provide linear power delivery without any harshness to the acceleration, the benefit being prolonged life of your clutch and a superior drive over standard. We are also able to provide software aimed specifically at economy and also for track use in various stages.

With the fast road software upgrade you can expect to see a 2-5mpg improvement in economy, this is very much dependant however on the way in which the vehicle is driven. For testimonials of our work please follow the link: http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/testimonials.aspx

To provide added peace of mind for customers with vehicles still under warranty, we provide a FREE 12 month’s insurance backed supplementary warranty. For full terms of the warranty please download the brochure here: http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/downloads/Celtic_Tuning_Warranty.pdf

The cost of the remap is £375 all inclusive for which we travel to your location whether it is home or work place. This comes with a 14 day money back guarantee which gives you plenty of time to ensure it is exactly what you are after.

Due to the nature of the ECU, it requires removal in order to remap. The eMotion is unlikely to be available in the near future. If Ford were to reflash back to standard, we charge a £75 fee to come and put the remap back on for you.

If you wish to go ahead with the remap please forward us your contact details (address, Post Code and Phone number) and we will be in touch to arrange a booking very soon. Alternatively if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask as our technical team will be able to answer any questions you may have.

Regards

-------------------------------------------------------------

So anyone here with the same car as me contemplating whether to get it done?

Also does anyone know roughly how long this might take?

Regards

I have to say I am impressed with that! offering insurance for cars still in warranty (shame that its an insurance only for 12 months - thats not going to be too big a help to those with 2 or 3 years warranty left.

But still, its a very good price, for all inclusive, and you are getting a very good power gain!

If I had that money sat burning a hole in my wallet, I would be very tempted to get it done...

You could probably get the job done in 24-48 hours, so that they can tweak and tidy their changes!

I have to say I am impressed with that! offering insurance for cars still in warranty (shame that its an insurance only for 12 months - thats not going to be too big a help to those with 2 or 3 years warranty left.

But still, its a very good price, for all inclusive, and you are getting a very good power gain!

If I had that money sat burning a hole in my wallet, I would be very tempted to get it done...

You could probably get the job done in 24-48 hours, so that they can tweak and tidy their changes!

Yes it does look quite appealing, they quoted 2 Hours once they reach on-site.

I will have to have a think about it, would be nice to hear from someone who has got theirs done and their opinions!

So is anyone else contemplating whether to get theirs done?

i am thinking of remapping my 1.6 tdci there is a place in bradford west yorkshire they have got a offer on at the min £150 on site or £200 anywhere in the uk,remap science they are called comes with a lifetime garrente.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone done this yet?

thinking about getting it done in the near future and would be good to get some feedback if someone has done already?

• 10 months later...

Was thinking of having it done too. Checked out some tuning boxes but they want nearly £400 so for the same price a remap is the best option.

I'd say go for it if you have spare funds. I've had remaps before and they make engines much more free and driveable. You can feel how de-tuned the 1.6tdi is.

• 3 months later...

I am after getting mine done and if I will get impressive gains like this I will be defiantly be getting it done. I will update when ive had it done going to get it booked in this week!!!!

Remap science get deals out there now and then but that's a good price.

Hi, I've had my ecoboost remapped but I used the Bluefin by Superchips at a cost of £365 plus delivery. The reason I chose the Bluefin was because I can now put my ecu map back to stock for servicing myself then return the remap back. They also have a insurance against any mechanical failures due to the remap.

• 2 years later...

Did anyone ever get this done to their 1.6tdci. Mine is now out of warranty so I'm beginning to think about having it done when funds allow.

Im currently in talks with a mapper to get mine done in the next 2 weeks. Hes offered to do all the work for £130, same gains as what you have been quoted, lifetime warranty and when ford update the ecu he will come out for free to reinstall map.

I even rang my insurance and apparently it will go down by about £100...cant even figure that out myself.

So im defo going to get it done in the next 2 weeks and ill post up results :)

Ok that would be cool. Very weird the insurance going down.

Spider Arachnid, best tuning chip out there, adaptive to your car, 6 different selectable tunes and removable without a trace (unlike a map)

and with current FOC discount code £280

Have one on mine and WONT be removing it

Other advantage is its removable and can be taken to your next car with just a cable change (if needed)

The Arachnid is like a map in that it learns and adapts to your car in real-time, you can literally feel it improving as you drive over the first 50 miles or so. It also senses your driving style in real-time, so if you drive like a granny it favours fuel economy, put your foot down and wham! it feeds in the powers and torque. Change your air filter or exhaust for a better one and you can just force it to relearn again. Its the next generation of tuning and beats a fixed hand map any time and isn't traceable by Ford (the ECU keeps a count of the number of maps passed to it). Mine takes 7 mins to put on and 10 to remove so easy to take out for warranty work or service

S

Which vital engine operation parameters does this box monitor & adjust for optimal safe engine operation other than fuel & air supply / ratios ?

Read for yourself

http://spiderchiptuning.com/

NO parameters are ever taken outside of the ford permitted ones, it just alters when and the rate. It also has voltage spike, reverse polarity protection, noise filters etc built in (build quality is very good)

For the TDI 1.6 115 mine monitors and adjusts the MAF Sensor and the Fuel Rail Pressure sensor

It also has a 10 year Warranty

This is a premium product and not a cheap, one size fits all job, Support from Spider is fantastic and you've only got to take 5 mins search on the web to see how many happy customers they have and a lack of issues. There is currently a FOC 30% discount code, search the forum for Spider to find it and several members here reviews

Oh and the other advantage, your fuel economy sky rockets if you drive normally, I just got my first 70mpg average and over 700 miles on a tank, driving the mother in law up to Yorkshire and around (chauffer mode)

So, as it's transferable, it seems to be a '' one box fits all cars '' - with the correct cabling variation supplied.

If as you state, as it only connects to the MAF & fuel rail pressure sensor, therefore it can only monitor & adjust the Mass Air Flow & fuel supply I don't understand how it monitors & adjusts injector timing , turbo pressure & the myriad of other vital parameters that the ECU manages.

I'll give them a call

It doesnt adjust them at all, it fools the ECU into adjusting them based on the MAF (load) andFuel pressure (says its low, so ECU ups the fuel delivery and changes timing) on other cars the cable may have up to 5 inputs but our tdci only needs the 2

It is and it isnt a one map fits all as it only has a basic simple fixed map, it then dynamicall readjusts 20 thousand or so times a second till it finds the best setting then locks that in. It builds a one off map for your engine like a custom tune, but unlike a human mapper who just tinkers till he gets max power etc, this does it hundreds of thousands of times and also learns settings for low demand as well. you actually feel it working and learning your engine

I've had several cars hand mapped on the rolling road over the years, enough to know that most tuners only tweak a couple of parameters and that they can definitely take them into risky settings. The spider seems much safer and the end results were very similar

plus you can adjust the tune on the fly while driving if needed from Eco, through 4 road settings to Race.. I use Road3 daily

It fools the ECU ?

Is it connected to the ECU ?

Oh and the other advantage, your fuel economy sky rockets if you drive normally, I just got my first 70mpg average and over 700 miles on a tank, driving the mother in law up to Yorkshire and around (chauffer mode)

That improved MPG is impressive - was that measured by brim to brim calculation or the cars fuel computer ?

Yellow light to yellow light, brim to brim. not certain how accurate the instantaneous fuekl is now as the ECU isn't being told the true fuel pressure now (but its doesn't seem far off and is about 2-3 mog higher than it was before chip

Its not directly connected to the ECU. in the TDCI case its intercepting the signals to the MAP and the Fuel pressure sender, buy alterning the vakue of these that the ECU see's it can fool the ECU into altering what signals it send to timing, fuelling etc. ie if it sends that the load is higher than what it actually is, the ECU will advance the timing and increase the injector open cycle, like wise by reporting a lower fuel pressure than what is actually present the ECU wll allow a longer injector open cycle and more fuel

This is why its a safe way of doing the tuning, the Ford ECU is still in control and wont set anything thats outside its normal operating limits. The max turbo boost is still the same, you just can see it rising faster and earlier than normal. Basically the are alterning when things change and the rate of change rather than the max amount

I suspect in ECO then the oposite is done, the chip reports less load and more fuel pressure to fool the ECU into laying off, interestingly the engine still develops more power and torque than standard even in ECO

It also can sense how you are driving by how fast the load comes in, and it will change the maps on the fly, so if you are ECO and driving sedately you get the economy, but if you slam your foot to the floor the ECU will sense the demand and swap to a more power setting (ok nowhere near the fast road and race one, but still a noticable extra kick than standard)

So in many ways its better than a fixed map done on the RR or by an ECU upload as its dynamic and responds to how you are driving, its very clever and the latest 3rd gen technology in tuning. I think we will very soon see fixed ECU uploads maps go the way of the Dinosaur. Change to a K&N or fit a freer flowing exhaust, well you just blew your fixed map and need to pay to have it redone, with the Spider you just push the calibrate button and go for a drive

I have to say, after looking at some of the maps in the EDC16 ECU, and there are over a hundred, I find it hard to believe it can do as much as it says it can or at the very least as well as.

If it sat inline between the ECU and sensors it would make more sense, it could easily fool the ECU in to doing anything it wants but if it only monitors fuel rail pressure and MAP, I can't understand how it can accurately modify the car given its not seeing the MAF, temp sensors, RPM, VSS, exhaust temps, VVS.

Not to mention how does it know what the max boost pressure is, my MAP peaks at between 36/37PSI giving about 22PSI of boost, but it won't know what is max via the ECU, it will just pick up how high it goes.

I guess that would create some kinda base line for it before it attempts to fiddle with things but looking at some of the maps, so much of it is determined by RPM its mind boggling

But I guess the proof in is in pudding so to speak, it is convenient to remove and if it comes up with results then fine. But I doubt very much it will be as good as a proper remap

It does indeed watch your driving and creates a base for the max and min values it sees pass from the sensors. Does that in the first 10 miles or so, then it starts on the tweaking in earnest, normally done by 50 miles or so

The other benefit is the engine is MUCH smoother now, really notice it when you take the Spider off

You can also send it back if you not happy, so worth a try

I have no doubt the box works, I fully believe what the posters that have the box fitted say - however, simply by over fuelling an engine coordinated with the alteration of oxygen requirements to suit will achieve more torque / power / speed and quite possibly improve MPG, my concerns are how the box works other than altering fuel / air ratios and the potential side effects of that, as the ECU is being tricked into making decisions without all the necessary information it needs & as stated one box fits all, so without being connected to the ECU how can the box know the all the vital specific parameters of the specific engine it's attached to ?

I called Spider and I'm waiting for Spider to call me back with answers to my questions :)