Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cost Of New Key?

shaz4473

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help here?

My mum has a 2007 ford fiesta zetec and unfortunately has lost one of the remote keys(3 button fob). She does have another 3 button remote as she got two when she bought the car new but when I contacted my local ford dealer I have been told that it will cost £80 plus vat for a replacement key and then £91.20 inc vat for getting the key programmed, taking 1 hour to do so.

I am hoping that someone can tell me that she does not need to pay this amount! I have been searching online for information but am getting rather confused.

Can anyone advise on if there are other options?

• Like 1

My mum has a 2007 ford fiesta zetec and unfortunately has lost one of the remote keys(3 button fob). She does have another 3 button remote as she got two when she bought the car new but when I contacted my local ford dealer I have been told that it will cost £80 plus vat for a replacement key and then £91.20 inc vat for getting the key programmed, taking 1 hour to do so.

I am hoping that someone can tell me that she does not need to pay this amount! I have been searching online for information but am getting rather confused.

IIRC I'm pretty sure a key can be reprogrammed easily enough.....

Someone on here should know how :)

I am searching on the internet and it looks like I need to have two working remotes to be able to programme another key? Maybe someone can confirm.

2 working keys are required yes

• Like 1

2 working keys are required yes

I'm in the same boat - I lost one of my keys. I take it then the only way to get another key is to get Ford to do it? :(

you can buy the keys/fob off eBay cheaper , then i guess if you looked around there are other place's that can code them cheaper than Ford charge

£170 sounds a hell of a lot of money for buying and programming one key.

Just an Example and they say they can program only one key if needed

http://www.theautolocksmith.co.uk/Ford-car-keys.html

• Like 1

When I had my 2006 Fiesta 2yrs a it was £105 for a new key cut & programmed at my local dealer.

I added a flip key to my car when I bought it.

Make sure the key is brand new and has never been coded before.

Don't go to ford as they will charge about £60 - £80 for a key and about £150 for cutting and coding.

What they don't tell you is that they don't cut and code them but call in a auto locksmith.

Why pay ford when you can cut them out of the loop and go to the locksmith directly.

If you buy one off eBay don't try to get it cut at timpsons or a high street key cutter as they'll refuse to do it.

The auto locksmith will cut and code them for you.

On the MK2 focus you have to add keys via the ODB no matter how many keys you have , on the MK1 you need 2 keys to add more, if you only have one key you definitely need to call a locksmith, the only thing you could do yourself with a spare key is cut it to fit the lock and open the door manually and programme it to remote the locks, coding it to operate the PATS2 immobiliser is only an option with 2 original keys guaranteed .

Blank uncoded keys and blades-

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2eba34ff7f

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item256b0652da

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item23133c2739

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ab18422de

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ab1842363

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIESTA-2008-ONWARDS-NON-FLIP-KEY-/380298007310?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item588b87130e

Sorry, don't know if your car takes a Tibbe or a Blade key

If you get one from here - http://myworld.ebay....sid=p4340.l2559 He's as good as gold and stands by his keys. I got mine from him.

Find a good auto locksmith and talk to them nicely and maybe they will give you a good price.

The locksmith i use also does callouts for Recovery companies and police etc.

He is also called out by ford to do their keys.

Ford DO NOT cut their own keys, they use auto locksmiths themselves and just charge you the standard fee plus their little bit on top.

I had 2 keys cut at my local timpsons no problem, was cheap aswell. Last time i was at my local dealer they had a key cutting machine bolted to the desk...

In total i paid about £100 IIRC all in for 2 keys cut and cloned to my original in timpsons. I supplied 2x 3 button remote keys withouts chips

No way! you can buy the cheaper from eBay !

the programing , you can do yourself!

Program the new remote 1st,

Turn ignition 0 - II 4 times within 6 seconds, Ignition off, tone sounds.

Press any button on remote 1 tone sounds, then press any button on remote 2 another tone sounds.

Ignition on and off exits program mode.

Now program the PATS immobiliser, As long as you have 2 unique and working keys that start the car.

Insert key 1 turn from 0 - II and back to 0

remove

Insert key 2 turn from 0 - II then back to 0

remove

Within 10 seconds insert the NEW key and turn to position II (wait a few seconds then remove)

Wait at least 5 seconds and you now have 3 working keys.

I'm in the same boat - I lost one of my keys. I take it then the only way to get another key is to get Ford to do it? :(

one key is enough for add more keys, max 4...

Lez, thanks for that info. I am getting confused though!

The instructions regarding programming the PATS immobiliser 'As long as you have 2 unique and working keys that start the car.'

In your next post 'one key is enough for add more keys, max 4'

Can you clarify if I am able to programme a key myself so that it will open, lock the car plus start the engine when all I have at the moment is one of the 3 button remote keys handed over with the car. The other, now lost key, was also a 3 button remote key.

Another wee question!

Do I get the two bits - Fins Code 1x 1233203 Remote

-1 x 1543945 Blank Key

and then go to the autolocksmith to cut the key?

The listing I picked up from your post above but this is for a fiesta 2008 onwards, can anyone advise on what the part numbers I would need are for a 2007 fiesta?

Hi everyone, I am also getting confused with this, I only had one 3 button key with my car, I have looked at buying from eBay but end up getting more confused (age thing). When I went into my local Timsons they said they would supply a programed key for £110 which confused me even more as the shop is in a shopping centre a long way from the car park!

I would also like to know if :- by buying a new key from eBay or Timsons would allow me to program the new key to open, close and start my car with only 1 other key in my possesion, and now the bit that may make me seem really dumb but when programing the key as described which key is used in the ignition? My car is a 08 Fiesta.

Cheers

Steve

Another wee question!

Do I get the two bits - Fins Code 1x 1233203 Remote

-1 x 1543945 Blank Key

and then go to the autolocksmith to cut the key?

The listing I picked up from your post above but this is for a fiesta 2008 onwards, can anyone advise on what the part numbers I would need are for a 2007 fiesta?

Hi!

If i`m right your remote Fins code: 1699827

and 1063692 for the blade

Muskydo - I am glad it's not just me then!!!

I think because I am being told that it will cost so much by Ford that I am desperate to find out if I can do anything myself. I have a 2005 Audi TT and recently managed to unprogramme both my keys in error when I had one in the ignition and used the other one to lock the car manually leaving it running to clear the windscreen but then unlocked it with the blip, panicked and did something else I should not have - anyway I then could not lock/unlock car with the remote and the alarm kept going off every time I went into the car.

I asked at a local garage who could not help and said I would have to book my car in at the Audi garage to get the keys programmed. Online I managed to get the relevant advice and BINGO I was back up and running saving myself the sum of money Audi would have taken from me! With labour rates as they are I am sure I saved £50-£100.

Lez - thanks for the part numbers - I will call my local Ford parts and get prices.

Are you able to help regarding the conflicting information regarding programming - do you definitely need two keys before being able to programme another or can it be done only having one remote key in my possession?

If anyone else can advice your help is much appreciated

I have been onto the rated people website to try and source an autolocksmith in my area, Aberdeen, Scotland but alas so far no replies.

Hi shaz,no it can't be just us, this is a confusing issue made worse no doubt by the fact it is probably such a simple procedure to perform if you know what your doing,I'm still waiting for the answer as to how many keys are originally needed to be able to reprogram extra keys.The difference in price from one Timsons to another is also confusing me. I'll keep watching this thread hopefully someone out there will come up with an IDIOTS (Me) guide to key programing. Strangely enough that's what I do for a living, writing SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures)on how to operate and repair some very complicated equipment, but that's easy if you know your subject.

Cheers

Steve

Muskydo - I am glad it's not just me then!!!

Lez - thanks for the part numbers - I will call my local Ford parts and get prices.

Are you able to help regarding the conflicting information regarding programming - do you definitely need two keys before being able to programme another or can it be done only having one remote key in my possession?

Hi! One remote key must be enough to do it! i did my with one! you can get the blade cuted HERE, the remote part i guess cheaper on eBay. you can use second hand not just new

the programming easy will take you max 10 minutes!

Radio Frequency Programming Instructions:

-Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds.

-Remove the ignition key. The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds and the red warning system LED (By the clock) stays on continuously to indicate this.

-During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons. The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED.

-Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON.

Thanks for that - if these instructions above are the ones you used did you also go through the procedure that you've posted earlier in the thread?

Does the radio frequency programming also ensure that the key will programme to the immobiliser?

I will def be back here to update on how I get on!

Firstly though I will be turning the house upside down to try and find the key!!! To make matters worse it also had the house key and a friends house key on the keyring too.

Hi! One remote key must be enough to do it! i did my with one! you can get the blade cuted HERE, the remote part i guess cheaper on ebay. you can use second hand not just new

the programming easy will take you max 10 minutes!

Radio Frequency Programming Instructions:

-Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds.

-Remove the ignition key. The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds and the red warning system LED (By the clock) stays on continuously to indicate this.

-During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons. The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED.

-Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON.

That will programme the key to operate the central locking but afaik will not set the PATS2 code for the immobiliser.

In my experience you do need 2 keys for immobiliser coding as you need to turn original key 1 to II and back to 0 then original key 2 to II and to 0 then the PATS2 enters learning mode and you then put in the new key and turn to II and back to 0.

You can then continue to programme further keys if held up to a total of 5 extra keys (for fleet users)

To unauthorise spare keys you go through the same routine as for programming (use key 1 and key 2 then allow the programming phase to time out and all other spare keys are removed from the PATS2 memory - this is so any lost / stolen keys can be disabled.

I guarantee that if you programme the key to open the central locking that will work fine but if you put the key in the ignition to try starting the car the PATS will not activate the starter or fuel pump and the immobiliser light will flash rapidly to show that the key has not been recognised.

Fair enough this is from my point of view of a focus owner but the PATS2 modules operate the same way on all Fords and will most likely need the same programming procedure.

Thanks Lez, I think I finally understand the coding thing now, as I see it if I only have one key and I want a second to operate everything doors imobiliser etc. then I need to go to Ford and pay up. Am I right?

Cheers

Steve

I'm pretty certain that's the case.

I'd ring an auto locksmith for definitive advice first, they're pretty good.

If you can't get advice or a deal with the locksmith then ford is the other option.

I'd personally cut out the middle man and use the locksmith's service.

They'll provide transponder keys but unlikely to carry button ones.

I lost my remote key and the best way to replace was to get an auto locksmith to program a manual key. Cost £55. Then I bought a second hand key from eBay cost £12, also bought new casing and new key blade cost £5. Timpson to cut key blade £5. Then program it yourself as I had two keys at that point.

I am trying to get in touch with local autolocksmiths and one has come back to me saying it should be around £75 but they need to see the key. I don't know what they are supplying for that price but once I have been I will report back.

Another local Ford dealer is saying £160 for key and coding - not keen on that price!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club