Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cost Of New Key?

shaz4473

Its appreciated, and thanks for not "Fobbing me off", Sorry i just couldn't resist it

Ill let you know how I get on

Update, I have won an auction for a 3 button RCL key £13:00, I have rang an Auto Locksmith local to me and explained my situation, He priced me for a Blank blade cut on site, and everything reprogrammed and 100% working within an hour at my house £70 all in, cant moan at that, ill await the delivery of the key and ill update again when he has been for future ref.

Pat yourself on the back. Ford would have probably told you they needed the car for 4 hours, they needed to do a diagnostic and you would have to change all the locks.

They don't do themselves any favours.

• 6 months later...

Hi - I'm still very confused with this - hopefully you guys will be able to give me some advice!

I have a 2007 mkII Focus with only one non-remote key. I lost my remote key some time ago.

Is there any way I can get a remote key fob on the cheap? Could I purchase a cheap key fob from eBay, get it cut and then use the twist-in-the-ignition-four-times trick?

Thanks.

You can buy your own key on eBay but on the Mk2 the key has to be added using an ids unit via the diagnostic port.

Ford removed the twist add procedure from the Mk2 onwards.

Even with that, to add your own keys on earlier focus you would need two keys to unlock the system anyway.

To clarify- the routine to add a new key to your car you need to buy a new, uncut key from eBay and call around some auto locksmiths for quotes to cut and code the key to your car.

Some have used Timpsons but personally I've never been impressed/confident with their work or attitude.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Stone871 - much appreciated!

So, just to be clear, if I buy this from eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-S-MAX-C-MAX-ST-NEW-FOCUS-MONDEO-FIESTA-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-/290839987486?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b76a051e

I should have all the components that the auto locksmith needs to re-code and cut my new key?

Thanks.

You are correct.

That key will cut and programme just fine.

You could always step up a level if you like and go for one of these instead-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160977357018?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I bought one of these from that seller and use it daily with no problems.

I actually did buy a full Mk2 Focus key with the glass transponder for about £12 i think it was, I then contacted a few Auto locksmiths in my area for quotes, I then found one on my estate who charged me £50 all in, he had a new blade cut, he then paired it to my car, 10 min job and I now have a spare key and a working Fob, If your in the Manchester area Ill put you in touch with the locksmith, £50 is cheap.

I have a good contact for anyone who lives in Devon and Cornwall.

Excellent - again, thank you very much for your help.

I'm in the North Kent area - probably a bit of a trek for your guy in Manchester!

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a contact for a guy in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, he's done 4 Mondeo's, a Fiesta, and a Ka for me

• 2 years later...
On 1/6/2012 at 10:13 PM, shaz4473 said:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help here?

My mum has a 2007 ford fiesta zetec and unfortunately has lost one of the remote keys(3 button fob). She does have another 3 button remote as she got two when she bought the car new but when I contacted my local ford dealer I have been told that it will cost £80 plus vat for a replacement key and then £91.20 inc vat for getting the key programmed, taking 1 hour to do so.

I am hoping that someone can tell me that she does not need to pay this amount! I have been searching online for information but am getting rather confused.

Can anyone advise on if there are other options?

I just bought a 08 GTI and it only came with 1 key. I called the dealership and they said it's $290 for everything; $215 for the key and the fob, and $75 to program up to 5 keys. Also asked if they will cut a key I bought somewhere else and they won't. I called a local Cicero Locksmith and explained the situation. He sounded knowledgable on VW keys and drove one himself. He said he can program VW keys for cars up to 2005. But he said hewill cut a key that I bring them for $40 each and I would be reponsible for programing. So I'm going to buy some keys, have him cut it and have the dealership program it., 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club