Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Zetec S Petrol V Diesel

adamr100

Hi everyone.

I know this topic has been done many times before but after reading numerous threads I'm still as much in the dark as I always was.

Basically I'm looking to change my current car to a brand new Zetec S, so I'm debating over petrol or diesel.

I average about 16,000 miles per yer, broken up into 2 x 90 mile commutes at the start and end of the week to uni and then town driving mid week. It appears this milage puts me on the cusp of whether or not the petrol is worth it, I have test driven the petrol (I currently own a diesel Zetec S) and it was nice, but I wasn't over enamoured at motorway speeds as Im used to my dervs torque, also I was being cautious as the dealer was very grumpy.

Basically I'd like to know form owners of both their pros and cons and in real terms how much the car costs them to run.

Thanks very much in advance.

Adam

I have the zetec s tdci and to be honest its a nice car, but once over 80 the low drone of the engine working hard is very off putting and it does seriously lack any real power (almost pedestrian pulling away and no pick up when needing to drop a gear to over take), my 58 plate zetec s tdci pisses all over the newer model for instant power. As for fuel economy if you read other posts it is obvious it is a lottery as some on here are getting high 50 to low 60 mpg, well on the motorway cruising at 70 mph i only get 46 mpg and for a new diesel that is pretty crap. When i got this new fiesta it was a toss up between it and a 1 series BMW 118d. I chose the fiesta as i had previously owned one (older model) and its cheaper to work on, wish i had gone for the BMW now.

I have the zetec s tdci and to be honest its a nice car, but once over 80 the low drone of the engine working hard is very off putting and it does seriously lack any real power (almost pedestrian pulling away and no pick up when needing to drop a gear to over take), my 58 plate zetec s tdci pisses all over the newer model for instant power. As for fuel economy if you read other posts it is obvious it is a lottery as some on here are getting high 50 to low 60 mpg, well on the motorway cruising at 70 mph i only get 46 mpg and for a new diesel that is pretty crap. When i got this new fiesta it was a toss up between it and a 1 series BMW 118d. I chose the fiesta as i had previously owned one (older model) and its cheaper to work on, wish i had gone for the BMW now.

I agree with the MPG lottery, people seem to be getting a real wide array of results from their comparative cars. So the newer model with DPF isn't as sharp as the older one? I would love a 1 series but insurance rules it out for me, I'm really torn currently and really don't know what to do. Luckily I have time on my side. What would be your suggestion as the either a Zetec S or another similar car?

Thanks

On the basis of 16k a year, diesel would be better, and if your doing two long runs a week, and town driving inbetween, I would say diesel wont be too bad. Normally it would be as the engine wouldnt get up to temperature enough, but depending on how many miles your estimating (realistically a week, town vs motorway) then it will be easier to say...

On the basis of 16k a year, diesel would be better, and if your doing two long runs a week, and town driving inbetween, I would say diesel wont be too bad. Normally it would be as the engine wouldnt get up to temperature enough, but depending on how many miles your estimating (realistically a week, town vs motorway) then it will be easier to say...

I would say around 200 motorway miles a week. Maybe 40 or so town miles then perhaps 50-100 misc on A and B roads. Total of about 16,000.

I would say around 200 motorway miles a week. Maybe 40 or so town miles then perhaps 50-100 misc on A and B roads. Total of about 16,000.

Diesel should be suitable then, I cant see any reason why you would want to nominate petrol over diesel based on your mileage. as you can get the DPF hot enough to keep it in good stead. I would personally say if you do more miles at 40mph or less, than you do at 40 mph + then Petrol is better, but given your mileage and speed variables, diesel should be the better option :)

Brilliant, thanks very much for your opinion. I've negotiated a deal with the diesel too where its the same price as the petrol would be so immediately helps claw the savings back.

Brilliant, thanks very much for your opinion. I've negotiated a deal with the diesel too where its the same price as the petrol would be so immediately helps claw the savings back.

Good stuff saves on the outlay so got to be worth it!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club