Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Name: Callam
  • Ford Model: Focus TDCi
  • Year: 2005

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

I've replaced most of the components on my Focus 1.6 TDci 2005 now (dpf,egr,air filter,fuel filter, eolys oil, oil feeder pipe, oil pickup pipe and turbo) and my new turbo has now started whistling as well as giving me a fun intermittent boost leaving me bouncing along the motorway like a kangaroo - which to me is a good indication it's on it's way out again, after only 4 weeks - since I've spent around 1600 on car parts and had many stress filled weekends fixing this heap - there is no way I'm paying for another turbo

It'll definitely be because of carbon contamination and after a quick search I've found this chemical cleaning kit

http://www.dieseltur...ing-kit-8-p.asp

has anyone had any previous experience with these kits? I've read on a VW TDi forum that you can use an oven cleaner for similar effects but I wouldn't feel great putting Mr Muscle in my turbo if I'm honest

Cheers

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 alz

alz

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus LX 1.8 TDCI

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Hi, have you had any fault codes as this could be a sensor fault.

#3 Antifaith

Antifaith

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

Only P0100 and P0101 which are pending codes apparently - the turbo is caked up and whistling though, and I can hear the blades scraping on the housing

#4 pragmatix

pragmatix

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Name: Pete
  • Ford Model: Mondea 2Ltr Tdci Ghia X Estate
  • Year: 2002

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

Did you clean out the Intercooler, before fitting a new turbo, its often forgotten and if not cleaned will make the turbo fail very quickly

#5 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:32 PM

I've replaced most of the components on my Focus 1.6 TDci 2005 now (dpf,egr,air filter,fuel filter, eolys oil, oil feeder pipe, oil pickup pipe and turbo) and my new turbo has now started whistling as well as giving me a fun intermittent boost leaving me bouncing along the motorway like a kangaroo - which to me is a good indication it's on it's way out again, after only 4 weeks - since I've spent around 1600 on car parts and had many stress filled weekends fixing this heap - there is no way I'm paying for another turbo

It'll definitely be because of carbon contamination and after a quick search I've found this chemical cleaning kit

http://www.dieseltur...ing-kit-8-p.asp

has anyone had any previous experience with these kits? I've read on a VW TDi forum that you can use an oven cleaner for similar effects but I wouldn't feel great putting Mr Muscle in my turbo if I'm honest

Cheers

i know that Nick uses the innotec diesel turbo cleaner, he owns and runs R-Tech in Hinckley. It'll be worthwhile giving him a visit mate. He remaps and modifies cars as his business and should be able to help you out.

#6 Antifaith

Antifaith

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

No I didn't clean the intercooler as I wasn't aware you had to? I'll clean it tonight - see what we get out of the other end

I doubt the car would make it to hinkley and if it did, it's bound to cause more damage than good by driving it - I might give him a ring though as the kit has just arrived this morning

#7 alz

alz

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

the codes that you have are Generic codes,

P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction
P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem

have you checked the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (MAP)

#8 Antifaith

Antifaith

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, it was a little caked up, so I cleaned it with some strong cleaner - could this be causing the bunny hopping?

tbh I'm just going to get it running as smooth as possible so I can sell it now - I've had enough

#9 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,814 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

most likely will have some part to play in the bunny hop, I would say quite likely in fact. due to the fact that if the air intake isnt smooth and cionsistent to supply the engine, then any variations and deviation from the fuel quality will cause your engine to labour as the combustion process will fail to complete efficiently...

p.s. antifaith, are you looking at getting a new Ford or are you looking to move away from it?

#10 Antifaith

Antifaith

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

I'd like to stay with them, but get one with a ford engine instead of a Peugeot one plonked into a ford chassis - Peugeot are

Do you think if I gave the MAP a quick spray with the turbo cleaner it'd help? or just burn the thing into oblivion?

Obv I'd get a new one, but there isn't much point spending the £80 if I know the turbo's knackered and I want rid

Edited by DanGull, 13 January 2012 - 03:26 PM.
Swearing removed - swearing is not allowed on FOC - that includes substituting letters with symbols.

#11 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,814 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

Not sure the turbo cleaner will help the MAP, could just clog up even further. Its going to be better getting it replaced... besides, would it be better for you to spend a few quid now, and get more in return, or are you at the point you want to cover up the bruises with a bit of makeup and sell it on as soon as possible?

#12 Antifaith

Antifaith

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

sell it on asap tbh, especially with the turbo playing silly buggers again - I swear this car has aged me at least five years with all the stress lol

It's got fairly high mileage so I'm not going to get an amazing amount for it anyway - If I got what I paid for it I'd be happy really - just have to forget about the 1600 I've thrown at it trying to fix it

Am I right in thinking the MAP sensor is the tiny little metal wire in the pipe leading to the air filter? I'm thinking as the cleaner is designed to kill carbon deposits, it may help slightly, I might just give it a quick blow to see if it can shake anything without melting it - I'm guessing the chemicals are pretty strong and if it does clean it - it may help

Fingers and toes crossed that it helps the turbo out enough to stop it whistling at all the girls....and....guys....and...cats.....and....well....everyone lol

#13 alz

alz

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

The MAP sensor, as a variable resister in it, controlled by pressure in the intake manifold which sends signals to the ecu to determine fuel to load on the engine, cleaning it will only clear the pressure intake, you will also need to check the sensor with meter for resistance.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.6 map.jpg

#14 Antifaith

Antifaith

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

awesome thanks for the detailed reply mate - I'll let you know how the cleaning goes tonight - I'll maybe have to pop down the the scrappy and see if I can pick up a spare

#15 young fez

young fez

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Name: andrew
  • Ford Model: ford focus 1.6tdci
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

hi mate i have the same problem turbo 5 months old on a 1.6 tdci 06 plate whistling right bad cant afford to replace the turbo so when it does blow again i am fully comp on my insurance. hope you get it sorted mate.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users