Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chemical Cleaning For Turbo Kits

Antifaith

I've replaced most of the components on my Focus 1.6 TDci 2005 now (dpf,egr,air filter,fuel filter, eolys oil, oil feeder pipe, oil pickup pipe and turbo) and my new turbo has now started whistling as well as giving me a fun intermittent boost leaving me bouncing along the motorway like a kangaroo - which to me is a good indication it's on it's way out again, after only 4 weeks - since I've spent around £1600 on car parts and had many stress filled weekends fixing this heap - there is no way I'm paying for another turbo

It'll definitely be because of carbon contamination and after a quick search I've found this chemical cleaning kit

http://www.dieselturbocleaner.co.uk/ford-innotec-diesel-engine-turbo-cleaning-kit-8-p.asp

has anyone had any previous experience with these kits? I've read on a VW TDi forum that you can use an oven cleaner for similar effects but I wouldn't feel great putting Mr Muscle in my turbo if I'm honest

Cheers

Hi, have you had any fault codes as this could be a sensor fault.

Only P0100 and P0101 which are pending codes apparently - the turbo is caked up and whistling though, and I can hear the blades scraping on the housing

Did you clean out the Intercooler, before fitting a new turbo, its often forgotten and if not cleaned will make the turbo fail very quickly

I've replaced most of the components on my Focus 1.6 TDci 2005 now (dpf,egr,air filter,fuel filter, eolys oil, oil feeder pipe, oil pickup pipe and turbo) and my new turbo has now started whistling as well as giving me a fun intermittent boost leaving me bouncing along the motorway like a kangaroo - which to me is a good indication it's on it's way out again, after only 4 weeks - since I've spent around £1600 on car parts and had many stress filled weekends fixing this heap - there is no way I'm paying for another turbo

It'll definitely be because of carbon contamination and after a quick search I've found this chemical cleaning kit

http://www.dieselturbocleaner.co.uk/ford-innotec-diesel-engine-turbo-cleaning-kit-8-p.asp

has anyone had any previous experience with these kits? I've read on a VW TDi forum that you can use an oven cleaner for similar effects but I wouldn't feel great putting Mr Muscle in my turbo if I'm honest

Cheers

i know that Nick uses the innotec diesel turbo cleaner, he owns and runs R-Tech in Hinckley. It'll be worthwhile giving him a visit mate. He remaps and modifies cars as his business and should be able to help you out.

• Like 1

No I didn't clean the intercooler as I wasn't aware you had to? I'll clean it tonight - see what we get out of the other end

I doubt the car would make it to hinkley and if it did, it's bound to cause more damage than good by driving it - I might give him a ring though as the kit has just arrived this morning

the codes that you have are Generic codes,

P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction

P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem

have you checked the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (MAP)

Yeah, it was a little caked up, so I cleaned it with some strong cleaner - could this be causing the bunny hopping?

tbh I'm just going to get it running as smooth as possible so I can sell it now - I've had enough

most likely will have some part to play in the bunny hop, I would say quite likely in fact. due to the fact that if the air intake isnt smooth and cionsistent to supply the engine, then any variations and deviation from the fuel quality will cause your engine to labour as the combustion process will fail to complete efficiently...

p.s. antifaith, are you looking at getting a new Ford or are you looking to move away from it?

I'd like to stay with them, but get one with a ford engine instead of a Peugeot one plonked into a ford chassis - Peugeot are

Do you think if I gave the MAP a quick spray with the turbo cleaner it'd help? or just burn the thing into oblivion?

Obv I'd get a new one, but there isn't much point spending the £80 if I know the turbo's knackered and I want rid

Edited by DanGull
Swearing removed - swearing is not allowed on FOC - that includes substituting letters with symbols.

Not sure the turbo cleaner will help the MAP, could just clog up even further. Its going to be better getting it replaced... besides, would it be better for you to spend a few quid now, and get more in return, or are you at the point you want to cover up the bruises with a bit of makeup and sell it on as soon as possible?

• Like 1

sell it on asap tbh, especially with the turbo playing silly buggers again - I swear this car has aged me at least five years with all the stress lol

It's got fairly high mileage so I'm not going to get an amazing amount for it anyway - If I got what I paid for it I'd be happy really - just have to forget about the £1600 I've thrown at it trying to fix it

Am I right in thinking the MAP sensor is the tiny little metal wire in the pipe leading to the air filter? I'm thinking as the cleaner is designed to kill carbon deposits, it may help slightly, I might just give it a quick blow to see if it can shake anything without melting it - I'm guessing the chemicals are pretty strong and if it does clean it - it may help

Fingers and toes crossed that it helps the turbo out enough to stop it whistling at all the girls....and....guys....and...cats.....and....well....everyone lol

The MAP sensor, as a variable resister in it, controlled by pressure in the intake manifold which sends signals to the ecu to determine fuel to load on the engine, cleaning it will only clear the pressure intake, you will also need to check the sensor with meter for resistance.

post-2425-0-50975800-1326294604_thumb.jp

awesome thanks for the detailed reply mate - I'll let you know how the cleaning goes tonight - I'll maybe have to pop down the the scrappy and see if I can pick up a spare

hi mate i have the same problem turbo 5 months old on a 1.6 tdci 06 plate whistling right bad cant afford to replace the turbo so when it does blow again i am fully comp on my insurance. hope you get it sorted mate.

If this cleaner is any good I'll let you know mate - could save you having to claim

Seems to have done the job - the turbo was caked in about 1-2mm of carbon everywhere - I put the cardboard seal over it - secured in place with the big clip and a bit of ducktape - filled it up and waited about 50 minutes, whilst adjusting the little lever (can't remember what it's called) on the front of the turbo every ten or so

Then cleaned all the gunky crap out with the second can and the turbo looks nice and shiny again - there is still some residue left over but not anything major

Whilst I was waiting for the first can to do its magic, I added the 3rd bottle to the fuel filter - I haven't had a chance to start the car up yet as it was 3am by the time I finished and didn't want to wake the neighbours - but it has to give some improvement with all the crap its cleaned off- I thoroughly checked the condition of the turbo and the blades aren't moving a great deal and generally look in good working order, just hoping I can start it tonight - fuel filters can be such a pain lol

The DPF looks like a black hole , considering that was new on 2 months ago it's definitely not looking good

Could the MAP sensor cause all this? Or is it just the engine? I know they get really crappy after a while and can need replacing

*love the new site - looks swanky

Probably just the cack that builds up from fuel quality, and what slips through the fuel filter. By the sounds of it the cleaner was a good investiment!

as for the fuel filter, well those things are well and truely abused, so it doesnt suprise me that it was in a disgusting state (no fuel looks clean when it comes out the pumps!)

Hopefully the car started well for you today? did you find any improvement on noise / performance of the turbo?

lol, well I had a bit of trouble last night - tried turning the engine over and all I got was a *clunk* and the front lights flashing on and off - a massive uh oh moment.....

Disconnected the battery incase the immobiliser had been triggered....no luck - checked the fuel filter, and topped it up again - no luck - voltage on the battery was down to about 12.2, so tried a jump start....*clunk* again no luck - disconnected the dpf and air filter from the turbo incase there was built up pressure from the liquid.....*clunk* put it back together, thinking I'd proper messed up the engine, or that the starter motor had gone.... :unsure:

Though I'd give it a bump start in case there was just something stuck, pushing it down the road for ten minutes or so....same *clunk* and flash - nightmare!

Pushed it back onto the drive thinking I'd have the scrap the bugger - just by chance I gave it one more turn just to check, and LIFE! lol

Took it for a drive and it's not amazing, the turbo has stopped whistling, which is nice, but when you hit around 40mph there is the distinct sound of the blades scratching against something - what I'm thinking is there is still a little carbon left, and the cleaner has removed any lubrication there was around the blades - resulting in a fairly nasty scraping sound - I'm going to pop some WD40 in tonight after work just to help it rotate a bit smoother - do you think this would help?

No idea why it would'nt start - I didn't turn the car over after putting the cleaner into the fuel filter and left it to sit overnight - but the cleaner wouldn't do anything unless there was heat in the engine - so I can't imagine this would cause any issues really

Hopefully the WD40 will help with the scraping sound and I can flog it within a couple of weeks - what do you guys think?

Sounds like a plan, you might be better with something a bit more oily, or silicon based in the turbo in the interim, hopefully something like that will keep the squeaks at bay for longer!

Sounds a bit worrying that it was dead as a door knob though, but glad that it just wanted to give you a heart attack - better than a dead motor anyday! lol

Good point.. I'd recommend the kit to anyone trying to get a little more time out of their turbo though - or anyone getting fed up of sounding like a fire engine wherever they go - I'll see what lubes I can find online today and let you guys know if they work at all.

I know right? really weird that it just died, thought I'd seized the engine, or hydro blocked it, or the started motor had packed in - a million things running through my head really - I'm just starting to consider what car to get next really - I've got around a £2.5k budget providing I can flog this for a good price - any recommendations?? I definitely don't want anything with a DPF though lol

Buy a cee'd if you come away from Ford ;) lol

as for the the following:

I'll see what lubes I can find online today and let you guys know if they work at all.

Are we still talking about the car? ;)

Genuine recommendations, either another Focus (not sure you will get the likes of yours for that price though), otherwise, if your looking for the same size, how about an older Astra / Vectra? if Vauxhall arent to your taste, maybe the Mazda 5 or similar series? Otherwise if you can find it, I would say (genuinely) take the Cee'd out for a test drive - even if you dont plan on buying it - you can see how it handles and feels :) lol - it is a good car though :)

the not starting issues can be a dodgy earth lead - this happened to me before. it was raining heavy and i had just finished shopping in asda and the car wouldnt start. so i went to customer services and asked for help and tried the car again and it fired up straightaway. then a few days later it happened again but this time me and my brother tried to jump start it but nothing. the jump leads were connected to the battery and it wouldnt turn over. i called the RAC out and the chap connected the earth to the engine and it started. he did advise to always jump start the car using an earthing point. we found the dodgy connection, just ONE lead was loose but this caused the problem.

Are we still talking about the car? ;)

lol - yeah I got some high performance silicon based lube from Halfords, used for high performance machinery operating up to 245 C and high speeds - I couldn't be bothered to take off the DPF again over the weekend, that clip is a pain in the wotsits, but will have to do it on some evening this week after work, especially before it starts snowing, as the thought of doing it is getting more and more depressing by the minute in this weather

Yeah, I've been looking at that kia, trying to find it for a reasonable price on finance though - I know Seat are doing the Ibiza's for around £200 a month atm but with a 10,000 mile mileage limit, it isn't viable for me - I was thinking of getting the same car as I know the engine inside out now, I'd know what to watch for lol - still a bit of a risk though, and I'm not sure I'll ever truly trust ford again - keep your eyes out for any good deals bro lol

I'll let you know if the lube helps hide the screach/scrape/soul destroying sound

lol, good luck with the lube though! as for the cars, yeah the problem is if you get a lease sorta deal where you get the mileage, its much better to get a finance based option than a lease variant...

I will keep an eye out for any sort of Ibiza - Focus sized cars though and let you know.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club