• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 marg

marg

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Ford Model: focus
Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:12 PM

car fanI have a 2001 focus (not air conditioning) the fan will only work on the no 1 setting when i put it on any higher it starts groaning and stops , not good for this cold weather any ideas anybody please ?????????????

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,025 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:07 AM

car fanI have a 2001 focus (not air conditioning) the fan will only work on the no 1 setting when i put it on any higher it starts groaning and stops , not good for this cold weather any ideas anybody please ?????????????

as far as im aware the blower motors are a weak point on the focus, sounds like your gonna need to get a replacement.

#3 Russ

Russ

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.4i zetec

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

Check the 'ballast' ( if it has one ) which is normally attached to the fan motor ( or i hope it still is ) these are notorious for blowing, which if they do lets the fan only work on the first setting' although i see u mention it starts to "groan" on other settings which could be a dirty/bad connection or a knackered fan/switch. Had the same problem on a cavalier and it was the switch that was knackered.

#4 marg

marg

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:22 PM

as far as im aware the blower motors are a weak point on the focus, sounds like your gonna need to get a replacement.

#5 marg

marg

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

is it a big job to replace then????????? :unsure:

#6 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,025 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:41 PM

is it a big job to replace then????????? :unsure:

I have never replaced one before but i assume the glovebox will need to be removed to get access to it. If you want i will send you the info on replacing it from the haynes manual tomorow? if you could pm me your email i will get send you the pages concerned.

#7 marg

marg

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:07 AM

I have never replaced one before but i assume the glovebox will need to be removed to get access to it. If you want i will send you the info on replacing it from the haynes manual tomorow? if you could pm me your email i will get send you the pages concerned.

thats great thanks , my email is channygreene@hotmail.com and thanks for yr help :D

#8 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford
Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

My brother replaced his a couple of times. Fiddly but not impossible. Glovebox down and stand on your head in the footwell. In fact I believe that he put his in gear and took the handbrake off then laid across from the drivers side to get a better position. He might be along at some point to correct me....

#9 Whelk8891

Whelk8891

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk1 Saloon 1.8 TDDi
Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:24 AM

My brother replaced his a couple of times. Fiddly but not impossible. Glovebox down and stand on your head in the footwell. In fact I believe that he put his in gear and took the handbrake off then laid across from the drivers side to get a better position. He might be along at some point to correct me....

That's a reasonable summing up, although I'd remove the glovebox completely as its only held on with 3 screws, and the job is fiddly enough as it is without that being in the way.

There's a screw right at the back of the motor which is a complete cow to get at, hence the standing-on-head thing. You'll need a short crosshead screwdriver, although I found it easier with a ratchet driver.

I had a few problems with my scrappie-sourced replacement, which is why I did it a few times. The first time it took me about 45 minutes, but I can do it in 10 now, easy.

#10 brunomedina

brunomedina

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:28 PM

The fan engine is broken
change this
Here in UK this part is not be very expensive , buy a new one .

#11 SierraYankee99

SierraYankee99

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford
Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

The fan engine is broken
change this
Here in UK this part is not be very expensive , buy a new one .

Bad advice, and you're not in the UK you're in Brazil. Here they are well over 100 for a new fan

#12 brunomedina

brunomedina

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

Bad advice, and you're not in the UK you're in Brazil. Here they are well over 100 for a new fan

Jesus , i can't imaginate these prices here , it's very expensive , the same as here in brazil

#13 Whelk8891

Whelk8891

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk1 Saloon 1.8 TDDi
Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:00 AM

Jesus , i can't imaginate these prices here , it's very expensive , the same as here in brazil

Er.... what? You're in UK yet you're in Brazil? You "can't imagin[at]e these prices here" yet they're "the same as here in Brazil"?

:huh:

I'm lost. Although, not quite as lost as you are, it seems.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users