Petar

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Name: Petar
  • Ford Model: Focus MKII Futura Wagon
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

Update / 13 jan 2012: This is meant to be adding an additional level of safety/security. It's highly recommended that you have the revised washers for the sprinklers first and fit them with a sealant of some sort.

Hi everyone,

This is a very simple and relatively cheap solution to the problem described in this thread:
http://www.fordowner...-with-pictures/

This applies to 1.4l and 1.6l (101bhp) engines of Focus MKII Phase I and Phase II. The 1.6l Ti-VCT engine needs another solution as it doesn't have the mounting holes on top of the engine.

What you need:

- 1x Volvo engine cover (part number 30650468); for a Volvo V50 1.6l from 2005-2006.
- 4x Mounting screws (part number 986019)

The price for these two in the Netherlands (I live there) is ca.20EUR incl. taxes and most dealers can deliver the cover and the screws on the next day if it's not in stock already. I believe that Volvo also uses the same part numbers internationally (just as Ford does). If the part numbers aren't the same - just explain to the nearest Volvo dealer that you need a plastic engine cover for a Volvo V50 1.6l from 2005-2006 and they'll understand what you want.

How to mount it:

Before you mount anything - check and if necessary dry up the plugs compartment if there's water in it.

Here's the final result:
Posted Image

1. Open the bonnet and locate the screw holes on the top of your engine. Two of them are covered by plastic holders/clips. One holds a cable that goes to the fuel injectors (on your left hand side from where you'll be standing) and the other one (on the opposite side) holds another cable. You can safely unscrew the clip that holds the injectors electrical cable - the engine cover will hold that in place once you mount it. As for the other cable - simply cut the plastic cable tie and fasten it with a new one against the metal loop that's right next to it (circled in red on the photo). Then unscrew the base to free that screw hole as well.

2. Fit the cap on top and arrange the spark plug cables and the injectors electrical cable under it so that everything falls nicely into place.

3. Apply some temperature resistant lubricant to the screws before you mount them, so that unscrewing them in the future won't be a problem.

4. Fasten the cover with the screws so that they are just tight and you're ready.

Solution for the 1.6l Ti-VCT engine:

Final result with the bonnet insulation plate mounted:
Posted Image

Apart from getting the new version of the rubbers for the sprinklers you could also order the bonnet insulation cover (mounts on the inside of the bonnet and comes as standard on the diesel models).

Insulation cover FINIS: 1495860
Clips (11 of them!): 1251866

This mounts in less than 2minutes on the inside of the bonnet with the plastic clips.

This is not a perfect solution as with massive leaks the cover will get soaked but if you get the revised washers for the sprinklers, mount them with some silicone kit AND mount the insulation cover on the inside you should be quite safe.

I initially only had the Volvo engine cover installed but I always felt the engine was a bit too noisy on the motorway, so I later on I also ordered the sound insulation plate for the bonnet (not cheap at ca.90EUR+tax at the dealer but worth it imho).

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

Not knocking your fix, but surely it is better to fix the leak problem than provide the plug ports with what in essence is an umbrella. Besides replacement washer jets can be had for little money on Ebay as member Shiplu has stated on the Fix thread I started on the issue.

And also if you don't fix the leak, as can be seen in my pictorial guide water can and does leak onto the covers of other electrical components.

#3 Petar

Petar

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Contributor

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

catch, thanks for the feedback! :) I've added a little update line at the beginning of the guide.

I already had the revised washers on my car and the leakages were still pretty regular, judging by the amount of water that was in the plug ports. :( That's all happened before we actually bought the car. After we bought the car and the dealer attempted a repair (was under warranty) they simply put kit under the sprinkler which leaked on top of the engine. Even after this I saw drops of water on the engine and resorted to installing the Volvo cover.

Interestingly enough, my other sprinkler hasn't leaked a drop till this day. Maybe whoever installed them first did a lousy job with one of them... I don't know. :)

Now, however, with the cover and the insulation plate under the bonnet I'm pretty well protected. Anything little that will get through will be absorbed by the plate and eventually dry up. Currently, after more than six months of use there are still no water marks on the insulation plate... If an ugly stain appears in the future I'll simply re-do the washers again. For now, unfortunately, this is one of the least potential worries with my Focus and happily it's not resulting in any troubles.

#4 mike6707

mike6707

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Ghia 1.6 ti-VCT

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:18 AM

Hi

Is there a cover/solution for a 16ti-VCT. I am having similar issues with water in the ports area?

thanks

#5 Petar

Petar

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Contributor

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

No, as mentioned in the first post - the Ti-VCT engine doesn't have the screw holes on the top, so you can't securely fasten the cover. They do look identical for the rest.

However! You can get the revised jets from your Ford dealer. They do have much larger rubbers and that might as well do the trick for you. If just fiting the revised jets don't fix the problem, try using some silicone sealant as well. A set of new jets isn't too expensive.

#6 Daniellio

Daniellio

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

where can i get a volvo engine cover plz? been looking for ages and unable to acquire 1

#7 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,115 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

not knocking anyone but i have the ti-vct and you simply fit revised washers and ive never had a leak since and weve had some torrential rain thats been a long time since last september simply put a smear of silicone on the rubber where it sits on the bonnet then a smear where the washer jet sits on the rubber its really that easy and cheap the new jets haver much larger rubbers if its still leaking either they arent fitted correctly or its the washer hose leaking not the jets.all the cover does is soak up more water tyhen drips all over the engine.

#8 tomo2001

tomo2001

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Titanium X

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:01 AM

where can i get a volvo engine cover plz? been looking for ages and unable to acquire 1

Volvo dealership ??

#9 Steven33

Steven33

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Name: Steven
  • Year: 2009

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

Hi guys, I have a 59 plate focus which I would assume as the revised jets fitted but I'm quite paranoid about the whole situation, would somebody mind posting pictures of the old and new jets fitted so I know I have them? I'm going for the belt and braces approach by also applying some silicon grease/sealant and getting a volvo engine cover fitted too (probably look and getting the bonnet insulation as well for added safety and noise reduction!)

#10 tomo2001

tomo2001

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi Titanium X

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hi guys, I have a 59 plate focus which I would assume as the revised jets fitted but I'm quite paranoid about the whole situation, would somebody mind posting pictures of the old and new jets fitted so I know I have them? I'm going for the belt and braces approach by also applying some silicon grease/sealant and getting a volvo engine cover fitted too (probably look and getting the bonnet insulation as well for added safety and noise reduction!)

Have you read the thread at the start of this topic ?

http://www.fordowner...-with-pictures/

#11 Steven33

Steven33

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

yes mate, but couldnt find any pics of the old / new washers fitted, unless im missing the obvious!

#12 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,115 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

the washer jets are the same the rubber seal on the old ones you cant see under the washer jet the new one you can see it

#13 Steven33

Steven33

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

cheers mate, i'll have a look

#14 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,115 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

theres really no need for all the above the sound deadening is 60 ish quid alone and if you have a leak it will get wrecked quickly if you do the jets right then all you need is those and an undertray to keep crud off the engine. ive had mine through winters down pours you name it and not a spot gets through ,the washer hose to the jet can leak if not pushed on all the way .

#15 toms0157

toms0157

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec 55 Plate

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

Good solution ! I've just ordered a spark plug Cover from my local Volvo dealer & I've also purchased the revised washers with seals, part numbers are correct for the Cover and total cost comes to £21 which is much cheaper than the risk of rusty plugs breaking in the cylinder head, on that note I only discovered I had this problem when I went to change my Spark Plugs a couple of days ago, I managed to remove and change 3 out of the 4, I actually broke a 3/8 drive extension bar on the 4th plug ! luckily the plug isn't damaged and engine still runs fine so I've cleaned all around the plug and will soak it in penetrating fluid and re clean around it again and keep repeating process until it free's off ! fingers crossed !!!! last resort will be a trip to Ford Garage.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users