Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rubbing Noise From Front Wheel

2011fiesta

Over the last couple of weeks I noticed a rubbing noise when turning, (mainly when to the right) from the front of the car - passenger side wheel I believe.

Today I happened to have the windows down a bit for the first time in ages and noticed the rubbing was happening even on the straights now. (The noise gets faster the faster I drive and stops completely when I come to a stop).

I asked my local friendly mehanic to check for grit or whatever between the brakes/pads etc (sorry - I'm no car expert). Anyway he saw nothing and said if it gets worse take it to the dealer with it being under warrenty.

After finding an empty street I drove a bit more with the windows right down and decided the steam-train-like noise was embarrasing and called the dealer. They said to take it in tomorrow morning for someone to come for a ride and have a listen.

Just suprised a bearing may need changed after only 12,000 miles :wacko: . Is there anything else it is likely to be, or probably a bearing?

Thanks

I'll report back tomorrow. Flipping cars eh.

They reckon its just a pad catching rather than a bearing gone.

Booked in for Monday afternoon to get checked out. Should give me plently of time to sit in the new focus' while I wait :D Every cloud and all that.

think there are a few TSB's floating around for the fiesta for front end noises and front brake dragging according to etis. gotta be worth a look :)

26/08/11

Grinding noise from the front end during straight-ahead driving and when cornering; Installation of a new halfshaft bearing

7/2010

If there are concerns relating to grinding noise from the front end during straight-ahead driving and when cornering, the probable cause is a defective halfshaft bearing.

To rectify this concern, the intermediate shaft should be removed and a new halfshaft bearing and halfshaft bearing retainer installed.

When holding the halfshaft bearing retainer and rotating the bearing, a rough feel should clearly be felt. With the vehicle raised, turn the halfshaft via the wheel and listen for grinding noise or rough running of the halfshaft bearing for this purpose.

27/05/11

Front brake dragging

67/2010

Should a customer express concern about front brake dragging, the probable cause is corrosion and contamination build up between brake pad ears and front brake pad fixing clamp / caliper anchor bracket.

Squeaking noises from the front brakes can occasionally occur and are not subject of this Technical service Information. To rectify the concern, all brake pad to brake caliper contact surfaces should be cleaned with brake cleaner and grease applied to ALL brake pad to brake caliper contact surfaces.

Apply a thin film of grease. Be careful not to apply excessive grease.

think there are a few TSB's floating around for the fiesta for front end noises and front brake dragging according to etis. gotta be worth a look :)

26/08/11

Grinding noise from the front end during straight-ahead driving and when cornering; Installation of a new halfshaft bearing

7/2010

If there are concerns relating to grinding noise from the front end during straight-ahead driving and when cornering, the probable cause is a defective halfshaft bearing.

To rectify this concern, the intermediate shaft should be removed and a new halfshaft bearing and halfshaft bearing retainer installed.

When holding the halfshaft bearing retainer and rotating the bearing, a rough feel should clearly be felt. With the vehicle raised, turn the halfshaft via the wheel and listen for grinding noise or rough running of the halfshaft bearing for this purpose.

27/05/11

Front brake dragging

67/2010

Should a customer express concern about front brake dragging, the probable cause is corrosion and contamination build up between brake pad ears and front brake pad fixing clamp / caliper anchor bracket.

Squeaking noises from the front brakes can occasionally occur and are not subject of this Technical Service Information. To rectify the concern, all brake pad to brake caliper contact surfaces should be cleaned with brake cleaner and grease applied to ALL brake pad to brake caliper contact surfaces.

Apply a thin film of grease. Be careful not to apply excessive grease.

Thanks for this Amy, much appreciated.

I may just print this off and take it with me.

On the drive this morning the guy seemed to lean towards the rubbing noise being from a catching brake pad. If thats the only thing they look at and the noise remains when I get the car back I'll suggest they look at the bearings/half shaft bearing thing.

Sure they'll sort it first time though. They are a helpful and friendly bunch.

Thanks again, you're one handy member to have around.

:) Paul

Well they had it up on the ramps and couldn't see anything, drove around a little and couldn't hear anything. They said maybe they disturbed a bit of debris or whatever was causing the rubbing noise when removing the wheel /checking the pads/discs etc.

Sure enough the car quietly purred home as usual.

Was told to just to bring it back if the noise returned.

Shame I took an afternoon off work for it but at least all is well. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

....and the noise has returned again. What a crock of #!£% <_<

• 2 years later...

Would really appreciate assistance as well as I have the same problem.

Replaced brake pads, discs, tie rods and wheel bearings and still noise is there. sound like its getting worse actually.

Please help

• 9 months later...

Hi Paul and Louise, I think I have the same problem. Do you find a solution to your problem?

• 8 months later...

Hi, I appear to have the exact same problem, I jacked it up with wheel turned and could find no problems with pads, bearings etc so completely baffled like others in this post so would like to know the solution!!

• 2 years later...

Hi Everyone,

Did you ever find a soloution to this issue ???

I am having the same problem b ut i think its the lower axel arm.....Really not sure tho!!!

I currently have this problem too 😞 great description it sounding like a steam train, Any help appreciated folks

• 8 months later...

Front end sounds like a washing machine when I drive,,,something is rubbing or something.

• 11 months later...

Hi have this exact same problem! 
I’ve had my break pads/disks/drive shaft and still the problem is accuring. Unfortunately when I’m taking it to be fixed or to atleast find out what the noise is- it stops😩 

any suggestions welcome 

• 1 year later...

I has same problem my car had only done 2000 miles before i  to dealer had it in 6 times now  .They say its build up of rust o9n break pads ( new car) then had the cheek to say i dont break hard enough i been driving over 40 years never had a problem till i brought this fiesta stline car .Told me if i brought car in again they going to charge me ffgs got two year warenty . Wont be buying a ford again

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I have this same problem with my 2016 Ford Fiesta Titanium. Ford have replaced my brake discs & pads (although said there was nothing wrong with these & did this as gesture of goodwill!). I’ve also had the callipers cleaned.
Ford have said there is no fault and car is absolutely fine - but this noise is driving me mad!

Did you get your noise resolved 2011fiesta? Ninks? Or Gerryash?

Please help 😊🤞🏻

Thank you in advance.

Tink_87