Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ambient Lights

Miles853

Got fiesta zetec

Need some info on ambient lights but in idiot form as I don't tinker about with cars

Just now I have lights under passenger side dashboard (orange glow), no cup lights that some drivers have. Also have clear lights in both footwells that only come on when entering leaving car.

What I would like to do is fit orange bulbs into footwells but find a way of keeping them on constant. Don't think there is any other ambient lights around the car that I could also use.

Any advice appreciated

What I would like to do is fit orange bulbs into footwells but find a way of keeping them on constant. Don't think there is any other ambient lights around the car that I could also use.

You could always just change the bulb for a different colour. But the issue with having them on permenantly is they cause a distraction thats why they wont stay on when factory fitted. There most probably is away but its not a good idea to do it.

Why would you want them on constantly by the way?

Thanks for your reply Thc. I didn't think that the footwell lighting would be distracting but I take your comments onboard. I have purchased some red lights reccomended on another thread which I will fit however will probably not rig them up for constant use.

Thanks for your reply Thc. I didn't think that the footwell lighting would be distracting but I take your comments onboard. I have purchased some red lights reccomended on another thread which I will fit however will probably not rig them up for constant use.

No worries, and it can be a distraction due to your peripheral vision been in sight with the footwell and also depending on how bright the lights are. But i suppose it all depends on you as the person if it doesnt bother you go for it :).

I have ran 6 green LED strips from my 12v cig lighter into foot well, front of both seats with wire to spare so it inst ripped out when the seats are moved or feet are thrust under them.

They need to be switched on, but my next plan is to wire into the centre map reading light because that controls the light if a door is open or not.

All I used was some Figure 8 wire (Red and Black) 15Amp (Bought from Maplins) wire for it all, soldered my joints. Heat shrank the solder welds and insulated all the set up.

At night its very distracting because it causes a reflection from inside the windows which restricts view.

Red may be a better colour as its a lower wave length and less obtrusive to the human eye than Green, and blue is in the middle of the two.

If your adding more lights, then LEDs are the way to go, they run on ~0.01 V per LED or something minute like that, so tapping a current lighting wire is ok, but not advised.

**Make sure your Negative is disconnected on the battery first before touching, tapping or introducing any new wiring**

Changing the bulb is just normal procedure no ignition is advisory.

Need any more info just reply on here, im happy to help.