Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2003 1.4 Starting/charging Problems

Olly86

Hi All,

Recently I've been having problems with my 2003 1.4 Fiesta. Last week it decided not to start, completely out of the blue and after already driving it that day. I bump started it and managed to get home, though the battery light was coming on intermittently, along with the headlights and dashboard limits dimming and flickering. I had two AA visits during the week, of which they said it was a dodgy battery and alternator. I took their advice and replaced the alternator from a breakers yard (with 6 month warranty) and bought a brand new Bosch Silver calcium battery. However, this didn't solve the problem at all, and on the way home that night the speedo and rev counter cut out intermittently then came back on again after a few minutes, although it didn't affect the performance of the engine at all.

After doing some research online, I found out it could be a problem with the smart charge cable that runs out of the alternator into the wiring loom, leading to the ECU. I decided to disconnect the smart charge plug from the alternator, because I was told that this would just allow the alternator to charge the battery normally, like it would in an older car. Today, I finally thought this had solved the problem as I drove around for a good 20 minutes with the new battery and alternator seeming to work fine whilst leaving the smart charge system disconnected. The only thing was, the battery light was constantly on because the ECU still thinks theres a problem with it, although in fact I had simply disconnected the smart charge from the alternator. However, I then went back out and started the car a few times after leaving it for 5 hours. The first time it started no problem and I revved it a bit and then turned off. When I went to start it again though I was right back to where I was last week with the engine not even turning over.

I'm really stumped with this problem. I've spoken to a Ford dealership who didn't really seem to know that the smart charge system existed (though they then quoted me £240 for a new wiring loom!) I'm a bit reluctant to take it into the garage as everyone seems to be saying the same thing i.e. need a new alternator or battery. The only thing I haven't tested is the starter motor, but it does start when the battery hasn't drained completely so I ruled this out. I'm beginning to think it could be a wiring connection issue somewhere, or something as simple as a fuse. Has anyone had similar problems to this with their Fiesta? Any advice will be hugely appreciated before I ring an auto electricians on Monday. (Any good recommendations for those in North East London/Essex would be most welcome too.)

Thanks very much!

Hey could be a couple of things, sounds like something's draining your battery when youve left the car, seen as you've charged the battery and alternator( as long as the scrap yard one is working correctly) have you checked your alternator is charging correctly under load? If thats alright could be down to a dodgy earth, diode pack in the alternator or something simple like glovebox light staying on or boot light. Hope any of this helps

Thanks for the reply! I checked the boot light today and it's going off when I close it so that rules that out. Today the car started fine and I managed to drive it for about 20 minutes with no problems (except the battery light being on because I disconnected the smart charge cable). I'm not sure though if the battery is charging as I put a brand new battery in there yesterday. Any idea how long a brand new Bosch calcium battery would last for it wasn't being charged by the alternator?