AliG3

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Name: Allen
  • Ford Model: Focus Facelift Mk1.5
  • Year: 2002

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

@minimadgriff - Cheers - will try removing them internally first and report back.  

Have emailed a couple of spare parts suppliers to see if I can locate the part number and the parts.

@PAPUMA - did you use normal silicon sealant or the non-silicon gunk that windscreen fitters use? I did read that silicon can cause rust problems - although that's the least of my worries with 2" water in the boot!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 minimadgriff

minimadgriff

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Ford Model: Focus RS (The original) & Ford Kuga
  • Year: Non

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

You might want to make sure they are clipped in properly too. They remove from the outside not inside.

You might be able to get to them from between the arch liner and the body.

#18 PAPUMA

PAPUMA

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: FIESTA ZETEC S
  • Year: 2013

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

@minimadgriff - Cheers - will try removing them internally first and report back.  

Have emailed a couple of spare parts suppliers to see if I can locate the part number and the parts.

@PAPUMA - did you use normal silicon sealant or the non-silicon gunk that windscreen fitters use? I did read that silicon can cause rust problems - although that's the least of my worries with 2" water in the boot!

I used normal clear silicone as i had some already, If it works I might remove it and use the windscreen stuff, halfords sell it,   but I dont see how it can cause rust, its on top of painted metal. Its not like water sits on top on it, it runs down inside the lens, i hope.

#19 PAPUMA

PAPUMA

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

Checked today, still getting water in the boot, so back to sqaure one.

#20 minimadgriff

minimadgriff

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Ford Model: Focus RS (The original) & Ford Kuga
  • Year: Non

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

Not every time you use the rear washer jet is it?

Around the rear lamps is known to leak too.

#21 PAPUMA

PAPUMA

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

I was convinced it was coming in through one of the screw holes that holds the light lens on.  As the screw you can see was rusty and when i pour water down the channel next to the lens i can see it dripping into the box area in the corner of the boot.

I siliconed all the holes but the screw that holds the lens on does not do up tight anymore. I think I'll try more silicon and a bigger screw, see if i can get it to hold down better.

I will check the rear washer ,  the headline is dry though, its just the right hand bottom corner where water collects.  And i dont think its the vent either.

Need to sort it soon, its starting to get proper rusty now.

#22 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,888 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

youll need to remove the screw cup this is done by threading the screw in till it catches then pulling it out gently with plyers a wiggle side to side helps then you need to silicone in the hole so to speak with the aim that when the cups replaced the rear of the cup inside the car is covered also then replace the lens and screw and smear some silicone over the screw

#23 PAPUMA

PAPUMA

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

Cheers mate, I'll give that a go. 

#24 AliG3

AliG3

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Name: Allen
  • Ford Model: Focus Facelift Mk1.5
  • Year: 2002

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

sorry to hear the leak is back PAPUMA.

I've been waiting for a dry day (ha ha) to get the bumper off and have a look at those vents. I've managed to acquire one new one already - the part number (in case anyone needs it) is: 2U5AB280B63AA. I think the vent is used in the Fiesta as well and amusingly, the Aston Martin V12 Vantage....don't think I'll be going to the Aston dealership for a replacement though!

I'll try and take some pics when i do replace the vent and post those too.

#25 PAPUMA

PAPUMA

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

Thanks

#26 RiffRaff

RiffRaff

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: Gavin
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec
  • Year: 2000

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

@AliG3 and @PAPUMA, I have been having the same problem of water collecting in that small hatch either side of the boot. Much like yourselves I was determined it was coming through the tail light mounts. After sealing them up as best I could, which didn't help, I moved on to the vents and taped them up. Still no joy. Today I climbed into the boot with a torch and got a friend to spray a hose over the back of the car. If you look towards the back of the car from the vent you will see a vertical seam. It's basically directly behind the vent. For me the water is getting in just were the factory seal (sort of flesh coloured mastic or something) ends. I'm going to try sealing it with silicone or something in the next few days and will let you know how I get on. Hope this helps someone and hope you haven't went to all that hassle of replacing vents. I'd advise getting into the boot and getting a mate to hose the car to be sure.

#27 PAPUMA

PAPUMA

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

Thanks alot mate, really helpful.

I will do that on Sunday.   I was convinced it was getting through the screw that holds the light as it was rusty, but thinking about it there is way to much water getting in for it to be coming in there.

Hopefully you have found the cause.  :)

#28 RiffRaff

RiffRaff

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

I threw some silicone over the vertical seam behind the vent but still leaking so back into the boot today with a mate hosing the car. Water seems to be getting in further up that seam and because it's in that small hatch it's more or less impossible to get at. I turned my attention to the outside and found the seam that seems to correspond with that one. I reckon the vertical seam below the tail light may be guilty so I taped it up with insulating tape, put a hose on it and it seems to be working. I'll give it a couple of days of rain and see how it goes. Pics show where I first siliconed the seam from the inside (black silicone I had lying around) and other pics show the seam being taped up. If it works and the tape holds I may just leave it like that, when the boot is closed it can't be seen. Fingers crossed. Anyone wants to try the same let me know, I'll get back to you after some rain.
IMAG0072.jpg IMAG0071.jpg IMAG0073.jpg

#29 PAPUMA

PAPUMA

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

If you look at the beginning of this thread it shows silicone being used in the same place as your tape, between the bumper and the body. I didnt think this was where mine was leaking as the water was pooling under the vent, not the other side of the lip.

But today i undid the two screws on top of the bumper and pulled down on it.  I found a hole right on the corner of the body, where the bumper  raps around, so i have filled this with sealent and also put some where you have the tape.

I was not going to let this beat me but noticed today that i am now getting water on the other side, this looks like its coming from the vent though.

So  i think it can get in from various place:

Through the screws that hold the lights in place

Through the vents

Through the top of the bumper

Through little holes in the bodywork

I think i might just take the bumper off, and use fibre glass to patch any holes,  remove the vents and fibre glass the holes left and then silicone every join i can find. I will also remove the roof trim and reseal that.

If it still leaks after that i will just drill some holes in the corner of each side of the boot and let the water drain away,

#30 RiffRaff

RiffRaff

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

The tape over the bumper was from a previous experiment. I was actually talking about the vertical seam going up towards the tail light. But this hasn't worked either. Mine is definitely coming from above inside the small hatch and can't be coming from the tail lights because they're at the back of the car and if you reach inside that hatch it runs up the side. I had thought maybe the small quarter windows but it's not them either. I'm just about ready to give up. I think your idea of drilling drain holes seems the best option.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users