Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Tyres - Advice

selway89

Hi All,

Im in need of 2 new tyres. The original contis are on there last legs.

Im looking at no more than £130/£140 fitted for the pair.

Can anyone recomend any decent but long lasting tyres?

Iv seen the Toyo Proxes 4 on blackcircles going cheap. These any good? Iv read mixed reviews

Size is 195/45/16. Does it matter if the new tyres have a higher load rating or not? I will keep to the Speed rating of V however.

Many thanks

could not load review readable data so have removed the post.

Anyway the tyre industry and motoring experts advise that you always put the new tyres to the rear axle, even if they are actually replacing the front axle tyres.

If you only run on one set of tyres [ you don't fit winter tyres in winter] then go for a tyre that preforms better than it's peers in winter conditions...standing water [good aquaplaning resistance] good in snow even considering it's a summer rated tyre.

To that end I went with Goodyear Opti Grips cost me £298 for the four [2 bought Oct 2010, other 2 bought Aug 2011]

Whilst some tyres can look the part, they can in fact be crap at doing the job you buy them for...ie: keeping you on the road and in one piece. And to that end good tyres stand out when they are put under pressure.

Now if your on Conti's they are a good tyre.....but whatever you consider going for remember this .....your a long time dead when it comes around :mellow:

I use hankooks, it's what my local garage recommended for my St and they seem to grip really well and u get ur moneys worth out of them so £70 per tyre.... Bargain!!

• 2 weeks later...

The toyo proxes 4 are a very good tyre, very popular for modified cars as they give great performance at cheaper price when compared to Pirelli or Bridgestone lol.

To answer question on the speed rating, you can go for a higher rated speed tyre but they MUST be on the same axle as different speed rated tyres have slightly different compounds and heat up differently so will behave differently, personally i would always match the speed rating on all 4 tyres but its not a must do for safety, just don't go lower than whats on there currently

As far as the load rating again just don't go below whats currently fitted and you will be fine

hope the helps mate

If your car has esp or even abs, puting new tyres on the rear of a front wheel drive car does not apply. The recomendation is to stop the rear sliding out during braking, so esp will stop this hapening.

If your car has esp or even abs, puting new tyres on the rear of a front wheel drive car does not apply. The recomendation is to stop the rear sliding out during braking, so esp will stop this hapening.

Proof for this please.

As someone who has made this mistake before putting new tires on the front instead of the rear is a bad idea

As someone who has made this mistake before putting new tires on the front instead of the rear is a bad idea

Completely agree.

Correcting rear end loss in a FWD car is next to impossible.

ESP will just reduce throttle on the front wheels which won't save you.

Physics will o

Physics will still beat any electronic aid if it really wants to.... Why take the risk?

FWD car = new tyres on the back.

i would recommend avoiding Pirelli p-zero neros, they are expensive and nearly killed me

uniroyal rainsports are outstandingly grippy in the wet (which lets face it, it usually is!) and great value for money. i don't have anything else.

http://shop.atseuromaster.co.uk/eshop/en_GB/products?id=1-1KZY2R&mode=beforebuyingsequence

Had Toyo Proxes on a previous car, would recommend them.

Thanks for the input guys, im making my order on blackcircles in the next few days.

Im torn between the Toyo Proxes 4 and Avon ZV5s

Tyres will go on the back as they are the ones that are worn out, fronts a pretty new anyway.

i would recommend avoiding pirelli p-zero neros, they are expensive and nearly killed me

uniroyal rainsports are outstandingly grippy in the wet (which lets face it, it usually is!) and great value for money. i don't have anything else.

http://shop.atseurom...ebuyingsequence

Sorry mate,but are you serious?! P-zero nero are superb tyres, huge amount of grip on dry roads, and very good grip on wet roads....

I have them on my Fiesta, P-zero saved me and my car from a serious crash, when I had to evade a car at a very high speed

Sorry mate,but are you serious?! P-zero nero are superb tyres, huge amount of grip on dry roads, and very good grip on wet roads....

I have them on my Fiesta, P-zero saved me and my car from a serious crash, when I had to evade a car at a very high speed

i am serious, they were on a Mk6.5 ST and in the wet it was lethal! :blink: twas my other half's car and i was the terrified passenger.

admittedly i reckon we hit some spilt diesel, in which case tyres make little difference, but still enough to make me shudder at the word p-zero-nero (three words really one of which is a letter) :D

dont know if this is any help to you but it was reccomended to me by a college as i am looking for a new set of tires and i think i am going to go with a set of uniroyal rainsport 2s

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Size/16-Inch-Tyres/195-45-16-Tyres.htm

Wrong. ESP also deals with with individual wheel braking to pull the car back into line. Sometimes it will just reduce throttle, other times it will reduce throttle and brake whatever wheel is needed depending on whether under or over steer is detected.

The guy who mentioned about ESP and abs has a point. As long as the rear tyres aren't bald and ESP is on you would have to be doing something pretty stupid to spin the back end more than a few degrees out. Although I am aware this wouldn't apply in an aqua planing situation as ESP won't help here and new tyres on the back would help prevent a dangerous backend spin out.

i am serious, they were on a Mk6.5 ST and in the wet it was lethal! :blink: twas my other half's car and i was the terrified passenger.

admittedly i reckon we hit some spilt diesel, in which case tyres make little difference, but still enough to make me shudder at the word p-zero-nero (three words really one of which is a letter) :D

Maybe the tyres were worn out or faulty? I mean, I have them for 1.5 year now, and they stick to the road like crazy,huge amount of grip on dry and wet roads......

A friend has the P Zero Nero on a fully modified VW Golf R32,and says the same thing,he absolutely loves them

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club