reppiz

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Name: nick
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCi 110
  • Year: 2006

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

I don't know if it's me being an idiot but would you say it's a lot to to expect a locking wheel nut with a purchase, especially since its (so I've been told today) £65 for a new set and £40+ for removal if you don't have the nut.

I'm annoyed as I sold my car with the wheel nut, and even showed them where it was (based on my experiences with the AA and going to have a set of Brembos on my last car and..you guessed it) so I know the importance of stuff like this, like I said, I showed them where it was, supplied all new centre caps and I'm stuck now.

Its the six pointed rounded looking 'star of david shape' but seriously what with the door cards which I need to sort out, a gaiter that was in pieces (I've fixed that) and now the locking nut, is there a cheaper alternative?

TIA

Reppiz

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

Was it a private sale or garage , if garage then they shuold supply it

#3 reppiz

reppiz

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

Garage, pretty much adopted a Sold as seen attitude- I can't afford another £65.

#4 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,501 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

Check out your local dealer mine took my four lock nuts off for a fiver (poss more as i was a never leaving customer) i offered a fiver beer money, and that was that four nuts removed and he torqued on fouf standards i bought from ebay..

#5 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

OK ring them or go back and say you have phoned Trading standards , and tell them they have 5 days to respond , You have rights they are breaking them.

#6 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

OK ring themor go back and say you have phoned Trading standards , and tell them they have 5 days to respond , You have rights they are breaking them.

#7 dezwez

dezwez

Dezwez

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,325 posts
  • Name: Derek
  • Ford Model: ford focus 1.8 zetec mk 2.5
  • Year: 2008

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

I don't know if it's me being an idiot but would you say it's a lot to to expect a locking wheel nut with a purchase, especially since its (so I've been told today) £65 for a new set and £40+ for removal if you don't have the nut.

I'm annoyed as I sold my car with the wheel nut, and even showed them where it was (based on my experiences with the AA and going to have a set of Brembos on my last car and..you guessed it) so I know the importance of stuff like this, like I said, I showed them where it was, supplied all new centre caps and I'm stuck now.

Its the six pointed rounded looking 'star of david shape' but seriously what with the door cards which I need to sort out, a gaiter that was in pieces (I've fixed that) and now the locking nut, is there a cheaper alternative?

TIA

Reppiz

try fleabay

#8 reppiz

reppiz

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

Cheers all, I'll have a look around on ebay- if you have any links please send them this way. Also off topic but the door rivets, I have a thread on the go probably best post there but I can't seem to find the ones for the Focus MK2 and I don't want to take the door off again to measure them!

#9 reppiz

reppiz

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

Any more on this please chaps? I've spoken to a few companies who remove locking wheel nuts and they want (cough) seventy quid!! I need another key making as they only gave me one and that's going to be LOADS..So if I can save a few quid on this it would be great, I'd really like to get this sorted ASAP - what else could I try? :(

#10 ferretfloozy

ferretfloozy

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Name: ferret
  • Ford Model: fiesta 2003 - focus zetec 2007

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

i believe halford sell a tool for removeing the locknuts

http://www.halfords....yId_255216#tab4

failing that you could try drilling a hole ofset from the middle on the face of the nut then use a punch to tap it round.( either method is gonna damage the nuts).took my locking nuts of when i got the car ..you just know they're gonna bite you in the bum .. if they really want the wheels ..lock nuts arnt going to stop them

#11 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,515 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport
  • Year: 2008

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

i believe halford sell a tool for removeing the locknuts

http://www.halfords....yId_255216#tab4

failing that you could try drilling a hole ofset from the middle on the face of the nut then use a punch to tap it round.( either method is gonna damage the nuts).took my locking nuts of when i got the car ..you just know they're gonna bite you in the bum .. if they really want the wheels ..lock nuts arnt going to stop them

What a great tool. Mind you its one of those things you may only need to use once, unless you own a garage.

#12 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,975 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

What a great tool. Mind you its one of those things you may only need to use once, unless you own a garage.

Some mixed results on customer reviews but always worth having for emergenct use.
At that price who can complain?

#13 Pidu

Pidu

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Name: Peter
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 2.0 AT
Contributor

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Maybe this tool could also help:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item53e0db6e37

but I'm not sure 100%. We used to remove locking nuts by welding smaller nut on top of locking one or simply used nut and hummer to make it sit tight on locking nut, but it is not always possible, depends on type / pattern.

#14 reppiz

reppiz

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Cheers all, I took alook at the Halfords 'lazer' removal nut but it only works on one of those air compressor thingumys plus the bead was really fat so would be fine if you had half a cm or so play but mine takes up the whole width so a head will not fit over the nut which is how the Hlafords ones work mine is either gonna be drilled out or find the exact head, they really are a pain in the backside particularly if people can't even be bothered to look after them, weeks before I sold my car I made a note to myself to locate and put the nut somewhere v safe, when I sold it it was bagged and in the glove compartment and I made a point of showing the buyer, I did however fail to check for one on my new purchase, which is my fault, but I just hoped that someone had taken the time like I did, moan moan!

#15 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,501 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

Did you try contacting your local dealer / dealers? as I say they took mine off for free, I just gave them a fiver beer money!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users