Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Insurance- Modifications

james132

Hi Everyone

Im looking at doing a few things to the focus next month, and want to know what is/isnt covered and what I will need to declair, also how much extra they are likley to charge me.

Im looking at fitting STstyle alloy wheels (18") with the Eibach pro lowering kit (springs only).

I will also be looking at fitting an st boot spoiler.

Could someone possibly let me know how this may effect my insurance.

Many thanks in advance.

I would imagine anything that changes the look or handling of the car would be best to run past insurance company.

In the case of an accident finding something not declared might encourage them to not pay out

I would imagine anything that changes the look or handling of the car would be best to run past insurance company.

In the case of an accident finding something not declared might encourage them to not pay out

Sorry didnt word the last part perticually well.

I realise that having any modifications un-declared will void your insurance.

More looking to find out if/how much extra it is likley to cost me. I would phone my insurance company but im abroard at the moment working so it will cost a fortune.

Declare it all...

Insurance companies will find any reason possible not to pay out!

On my last car i declared everything, even down to the ST170 Headlights, Foglights and Front Grille! This way if i was in an accident, not only would it all be replaced with these items, but they couldnt argue that i hadn't declared anything.

You may get away with the spoiler, but its better to be safe than sorry. My premiums didnt rise at all adding everything. Until i added the Tuning Box!

Ok, thanks for the reply. I will be on the phone to them next month when I get back to the UK

My insurance premium is already sky high as it is having a 2.0 at 19. Just didnt want it to get stupid if I added the modifications.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I will be on the phone to them next month when I get back to the UK

My insurance premium is already sky high as it is having a 2.0 at 19. Just didnt want it to get stupid if I added the modifications.

the ST rear spoiler will effect your fuel economey too mate just a tad but i noticed it when i fitted mine lol

keeps the rear down at speed but causes a little drag.

I have never been in a situation where they have added a price after a Mod , My DRL's were classed as a safety device and no cost was added , they did ask if they were professionally fitted though but it did not make any difference to the price.

the thing that may add to the cost is the eibachs, and the wheels... the spoiler probably wont add anything.

the ST rear spoiler will effect your fuel economey too mate just a tad but i noticed it when i fitted mine lol

keeps the rear down at speed but causes a little drag.

a little MPG is nothing compared to rear end grip.. ;) lol!

your reverse lights will be classed as a safety device as ships will be able to be guided home with them :)

I think if NASA was still in operation me and lenny could use our cars as landing strips seen from outerspace!

Perhaps I should have been parked off the coast of Italy.... Sorry, had to be said after the ship comment :ph34r:

looks like my phone bill will cost me as much as my insurance by the time in finished if i have to report every detail lol would be easier to take the manager of the insurance company for a drive in it.

header-logo.png

Perhaps I should have been parked off the coast of Italy.... Sorry, had to be said after the ship comment :ph34r:

HAHAHAH!!

I think if NASA was still in operation me and lenny could use our cars as landing strips seen from outerspace!

Could have done with you their mate lol i was parked in the wrong direction wasnt much room to perform a 3 point turn on the beach,

Could have done with you their mate lol i was parked in the wrong direction wasnt much room to perform a 3 point turn on the beach,

Untitledl.png

Poor effort lenny!

Mind you, Id he hadnt of changed course you would have been in the perfect place for him to see you!

lmfao, brilliant lads, just brilliant! lol...

I am really tempted to upgrade my reverse bulbs also, so I need to dig out the thread and find the links, and add them to my bucket list... I would add them to my wish list, but I am not sure which I will be able to afford first :P lol

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

sorry to bring up an old thread but on the topic of ships sinking etc. i spotted this video today and i just had to post it lmfao First day on the Job

If you have had a bad day? watch this

hi there

ive been there, having modified a previous car

first thing , ring your insurance company and ask them if they will cover you if you modify the car, some companies wont touch you even if you fit a performance air filter or even better headlights, and if you dont tell them everything it gives them a reason to void your insurance should you ever need to claim

rule of thumb is if it doesnt increase your speed it wont affect your premium, soon as you do anything performance related they may put your premium up, it may be worth it find a insurer that appreciates car clubs and modified cars, like AON and Adrian Flux as they may only be an extra £20-30 rather than £200-300 for some insurance companies

also, keep all your reciepts and a list of everything you have done as they may well ask for in depth details

my car had a list of 70 odd items, when fitted, cost of part and availabilty

just remember its a long slippy slope once you start, as you will always want that next thing

• 3 months later...

My insurance company wanted to charge an extra £500 a year for window tints - they say because im under 25 :(. In a world of "EQUALITY" I think it stinks, its a totally different story when it comes to racism, sexism etc.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club