Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor Build Quality

smudge128

Glad to hear that you're pleased with the "Beemer". I've looked at the 1-series too but it's a bit too big for my modestly sized garage. So I'm seriously thinking about something radically different i.e. a Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe which seems to have a reputation for outstanding owner satisfaction & absolutely bulletproof build quality. I've never owned anything like that before but I'm not getting any younger, I had a very bad year personally in 2011 hence I feel like treating myself. We'll see!

Yes I know this isn't a like for like comparison with the Fiesta, the MX-5 is an expensive car & not in the same market segment - however, just as a meaningful comparison with the Fiesta, in 1993 I bought a new Vauxhall Corsa which was such a brilliant car that I kept it for 9 years - in terms of build quality it was streets ahead of my MK7 Fiesta, with no rattles or creaks & no major issues at all during the 9 year period for which I owned it.

so !Removed! off now going to look at BMW 1 series tomorrow, it was a toss up between the BMW and fiesta.. ..The saying you get what you pay for couldnt be more true.

Well you are talking about a Fiesta which price starts at £9334 and a BMW which price starts at £19375....

You would hope the £10,000 difference would count for something! What I cant get my head around is how it was "a toss up between the BMW and fiesta"

Chalk and cheese?

Oh, and I thought i'd add that I have had no problems at all with mine :) Very happy

It was a toss up because i have has 3 x focus and loved then and a 58 plate fiesta tcdi zetec s which was a great little car, thought i would upgrade to newer model fiesta but also like the 1 series, opted for the fiesta purely for the better MPG but one had been driving it for a week was so fed up with the poor build quality i went out and got the 1ner. will never go back now, it is very true "you get what you pay for"

Edited by DanGull
Swearing is not allowed on FOC - it took me two seconds to think of something else to use in its place. It's just not necessary.

I had an annoying rattle coming from the passenger side between the dashboard and the pilla, i wedged a piece of cardboard in there one day and never looked back :-) not the greatest solution but works and i cant see the cardboard either.

However like a few others in this thread, i came from always driving 2nd hand BMW's and decided to buy new so bought this 2010 zetec s TDI, however i am pretty confident i will be going back to BMW after this, the interior is just a bit too cheap after the initial Glee of owning a new car wore off.

Oh, and I thought i'd add that I have had no problems at all with mine :) Very happy

Wait for a while :)

My car has done nearly 50,000 miles and is 2.5 years old. I have never had so much as a rattle. My only gripe is the number of dipped headlight bulbs I have gone through.

From my experience, build quality is shocking. Whether that be the car's structure, interior, alloy wheels, mechanical parts, sound system etc. I had a problem with all of these areas during my three years of ownership.

My car has done nearly 50,000 miles and is 2.5 years old. I have never had so much as a rattle. My only gripe is the number of dipped headlight bulbs I have gone through.

Dan, there is a service bulliten for the early build models like ours which rectifies this fault.

Interesting you say this, as when i picked mine up there was a bulb out (only noticed half way home) which ford sorted out by picking up the car and also fixing other things they had not touched which i had mentioned... now the other light has gone maybe 1 month afterwards....

I have bought another set of improved headlights and see if they last longer.

I had no problems with mine for the two and a half years I have had it so far. B)

my dads mk7 59 fiesta 1.4 tdci was 100% reliable, had a small squeak from the silver spedo rev counter surround.

my mums mk7 58 fiesta 1.25 has not ever had any squeaks still drives like brand new , but you have to really slam the boot to get it to regester its shut and 2 winters now the window washer had pack up then worked again.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a really annoying rattle that comes from the top of the drivers door panel. When I push against the panel or the door glass it stops. Anyone else have the same issue?

I have a massive rattle actually inside my bootlid, I think it's the wiring moving about inside. I was thinking of removing the bootlid trim and taping the wires down.

I've got a rattle in the drivers seatbelt column which is driving me insane, spoke to the Ford techs where I used to work and they were less than helpful..

will bring it up again at it's service though

My '59 plate ZS is the probably the worst car I have owned in terms of build quality. Don't get me wrong, its been very reliable (so it should be - its been well looked after mechanically speaking and only done 24000miles). But there are a few things which have left me slightly unimpressed...

- The side skirt has decided to partially un-glue itself from the car on the driver-side.

- The bonnet catch takes about 10 attempts to keep the bonnet locked down.

- The fuel filler cap is becomming more misaligned after every opening so it struggles to open/close.

- The operation of the bluetooth system is completely unpredictable.

- Rattles... I have a few which I try to drown out with music.

My Fiesta experience hasn't been terrible but its not one I will be repeating any time soon. I know I could take the car to the dealer for these things but I have been planning to get a new car for quite a while anyway - didn't seem worth taking time out of my day and being without a car for a while. I'm just trading it in anyway and the garage arent bothered about these kind of 'minor' issues. New car is due on the 15th of this month so i'll try to enjoy my last days of Fiesta ownership.

I have told dealer about rattle coming from drivers door and hope they fix it on Thursday when its in for service.

I'm cracking up its like !Removed! torture :-(

there used to be quite a noticeable electrical humming sound come from the centre console on my old 59 plate titanium, whenever the engine was turned off, took a good 5 minutes before it stopped. dont seem to have that problem in the new one; a 12 plate and the cabin noise is muffled so much noticeably and better when travelling on motorway, so much so to a fault, as i liked the reassuring sound of the diesel engines subtle 'tacking' sound when travelling.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club