Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Courtesy / Map Light Upgrade

Stoney871

Here i go again mucking about with light switches, just need to know if anyone has done this and whether i need to modify wiring to make it work ok?

Bought this to replace the standard one bulb courtesy light.

l3.jpg

On the reverse is two wire connectors-

l2.jpg

One is a single connector-

l4.jpg

One is a double connector with two wires to one connector and the other is a single connector again.

l5.jpg

l6.jpg

l1.jpg

Questions are whether i can put the three wires on the double connector into one feed / why are they separate and as ford usually use the same loom in all versions of the same model, what is the likelyhood of the double connector already being in place in my car? (MK2 Focus)

look forward to advice / experiences from you all.

Hi mate,

this will be a nice little modification when you get it fitted, B)

i thought of fitting one of these too but im holding out for an ambient one, that will illuminate a soft red light in the back at night ;)

the single feed to the unit, colour orange/Blue on the front unit and orange/yellow on the rear unit is the live signal cable that allows the centre light illuminate when the doors are opened or the engine stopped,

as for the connectors on the other side

the single feed black/blue on the front is the constent live to power the lights, this cable is also present in the rear unit but is colourd black/yellow

and the double feed is the earth feed coloured black/yellow

it is a single cable in the rear and links in to the earth on the front unit, thats why you have a double connection in that one,

because the earth for the rear light is linked in to the earth on the front interior light.

so the connections on this one should be straight foward mate, all of the cable colour references listed above have been taken from the haynes diagram ford focus 2005-2009 (54 to 09 Registration).

hope this helps mate, :)

and looking foward to the pictures once fitted too mate you could do a guide on this one im sure others would like to folllow

Thanks for that.

So if i get it right, orange /blue needed. black/blue needed. Only one black/yellow needed as other is only a earth line for a rear courtesy light?

Any idea if the looms are standard and likely to be just a plug and play?

When i tapped my rear quarter light Led's into the rear curtesy light there were a double and a single connector so it should be plug and play

Outstanding.

That's my project tomorrow if I get the time.

As long as I don't gouge up the fittings too badly it should be a doddle.

Many thanks lads.

I'm standing a virtual beer for you.

Outstanding.

That's my project tomorrow if I get the time.

As long as I don't gouge up the fittings too badly it should be a doddle.

Many thanks lads.

I'm standing a virtual beer for you.

Cheers! :lol:

put a flat screwdriver between the frame of the liht and the lens section,

on the centre the opposite side to the switch and gently prize the unit out,

+3 plug and play.......i fitted the ambient lighting unit to mine.

+3 plug and play.......i fitted the ambient lighting unit to mine.

Richie did you manage to get an ambient lighting unit without the alarm sensors i have been looking every where and have not seen one yet

hi mate im looking to do the same upgrade as yourself. here is a picture of the single bulb dome light from my 2010 focus,

DSC_0251.jpg

interiorlight-1.jpg

with removing the interior light i used a flat head screwdriver starting at the yellow arrow, slide the screwdriver in about 5mm and there is a small metal clip that you need to bend towards the light itself then lever down. once the back end is out use the screwdriver again at any of the 2 green points and the light wil just pop out.

hope this helps, let me know it its a smooth swap.

Update..

Job done Some easy, some a bit of a personal !Removed! up.

Old one out with a screwdriver not a problem.

New one fitted like a treat , wires all correct and no dramas there.

Only thing i had to do prior to refitting was swap the fitting spring out of the old unit as the new one was missing it. (had to break the old unit so as to avoid nacking the spring, not a problem), necessary or else the unit won't stay in place.

Lights working fine but bulbs rubbish, LED already fitted anyway and just looked wrong.

Newlight1.jpg

Newlight3.jpg

Decided that something else was needed so bought blue 4w bulbs. (what other colour could i possibly use?)

Newlight4.jpg

Newlight7.jpg

Problems -

Fitted blue bulbs and went to test (pulled fuse for lights from internal fuse board so as to be careful), lights not working - F###!

Checked haynes manual - fuse board totally different layout from diagram - F### x2!

Checked fuses, had pulled wrong fuse and had blown the internal light one.

Put fuses back so as to go and buy a replacement as i only had normal blade fuses and the internal panel are small blade ones.

Car would not start - F### x3!

Checked fuses yet again - why do they make the fuse board such a sod to move about - much grovelling on floor with a torch and much cursing.

Silly Bugger that i am, i'd put the fuse i pulled originally in the wrong slot, it just happened to be the flaming immobiliser fuse.

Fuse relocated and problem solved- Thank god for that, i had visions of having to call recovery and looking like a real chump for cocking up my fuses.

Anyway job finally done, All fuses present and correct, lights working fine - been instructed by the wife to stop F###### around with the electrics. :unsure:

We'll see about that ;)

Richie did you manage to get an ambient lighting unit without the alarm sensors i have been looking every where and have not seen one yet

Yes Lenny, i got one new in my local Ford garage. Cost me €75 but is worth it for the nightime effect . I had to run a feed up from the illumination circuit to power the LED'S though as the unit has a third pin on it for them. Other two plugs fit straight on. Unless yours is prewired for them, mine wasn't. I'll give you the part number tomorrow off the box.......still have it in work :)

Yes Lenny, i got one new in my local Ford garage. Cost me €75 but is worth it for the nightime effect . I had to run a feed up from the illumination circuit to power the LED'S though as the unit has a third pin on it for them. Other two plugs fit straight on. Unless yours is prewired for them, mine wasn't. I'll give you the part number tomorrow off the box.......still have it in work :)

Hi Richie,

it was pree asked the question regarding the light unit mate,

but €75 is cheap compared to european parts are selling them for 85 excluding postage,

if you could get us a part number that would be excellent. i would need to run a feed from the interior lights too.

Sorry Lenny, not paying much attention i'm afraid...........will put up part number in the morning. I have to say i'm finding most parts are pretty good on price from the dealers. Just aswell as i'm buying an S Max for the other half and i have my eye on a few goodies already !! :rolleyes:

post-26888-0-81036200-1335776087_thumb.j

Ok, part number is 8A6A 13K767 BB34X1 I powered mine from the back of the light switch so when i put on parking / driving lights it comes on. Just splice into pin 16 and run a wire up to the light unit and connect to the ambient LED pin. Job done :)

• 5 years later...
On 21.1.2012. at 5:56 PM, Lenny said:

the single feed to the unit, colour orange/Blue on the front unit and orange/yellow on the rear unit is the live signal cable that allows the centre light illuminate when the doors are opened or the engine stopped,

as for the connectors on the other side

the single feed black/blue on the front is the constent live to power the lights, this cable is also present in the rear unit but is colourd black/yellow

and the double feed is the earth feed coloured black/yellow

it is a single cable in the rear and links in to the earth on the front unit, thats why you have a double connection in that one,

because the earth for the rear light is linked in to the earth on the front interior light.

so the connections on this one should be straight foward mate, all of the cable colour references listed above have been taken from the haynes diagram ford focus 2005-2009 (54 to 09 Registration).

hope this helps mate, :)

and looking foward to the pictures once fitted too mate you could do a guide on this one im sure others would like to folllow

I know that this is old post.. and I have same situation.. and I think this is not ocrrect what Lenny said.. Are you 100% sure that is is correct?

because if you see conenction then you will notice that orange - blue is connected with all bulbs... only yellow - black is connected with middle lamp, and its get power when door is open, also blue - black is connected with all bulbs.. see this image http://prnt.sc/elgy4h so I think black-blue ( blue line on image ) is the constent live to power the lights, orange-blue ( red line on image ) is earth and yellow - black ( yellow line on image )  is the live signal cable that allows the centre light illuminate when the doors are opened

• 1 year later...

Please could anyone tell me what the colour codes are for this light as i would like to tap in and add an extra led light, just need the live and negative from the centre switch.

Thanks you very much.