Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Tdci Problem

arobinson1984

Hi all,

I think I've got a problem or a start of a problem with my 1.8 mk2.5 focus tdci.

When I put the engine under load, I'm getting more black smoke than usual, not excessive amounts but it's noticeable.

I haven't had any problems with lack of power, everything seems fine in that department but I have got a drop in mpg.

I've usually always got between 45-48mpg on average over a tank yet the last few tanks I've been getting under 40mpg even though I'm now driving more conservative due to the arrival of my baby daughter 3 weeks ago.

The car is an '08 plate 1.8tdci focus zetec mk 2.5 and has done about 48k miles.

Any ideas what could be causing the increase in smoke/drop in fuel efficiency?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Andy

Hmmm - I take it that is noticable during the day time (i only notice the smoke at night in the headlights of cars behind me) so assume that its a lot more than usual to actually notice it.

I am no expert but may just be a bit of carbon build up - the EGR valve can be a issue. You could try some BG244 - this you spray into the engine and helps to remove deposits on the EGR valve. There is a thread on here were i used it, asked some questions and posted some pics which will help if you can find it.

Alt - how the service history?? Maybe a fuel filter or air filter etc could do with being replaced??

Sure others will suggest other possibilities soon :)

do you hear a whooshing sound when accelerating? turn your blowers off and it will sound like they come on when you accelerate. i had a lot of black smoke and this was a symptom...

if it does your problem is a split in the turbo air intake.

in the engine as you look on the left hand, at the top, is a pipe which is about 2 inchs and bends 90 degrees from the 6 o'clock position to the 3 o'clock position. inside this bend could be the split.

just an idea at best to try and help

Thanks for the replies guys.

John, I've not noticed any whooshing sounds but will double check in the morning.

I don't seem to have any noticeable drop in performance so I'm thinking more along the lines of the egr valve or egr boost pipe.

Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to remove the egr on the mk2.5 focus? Do I need to take half the engine apart? Lol

I'd prefer to remove it to clean it thoroughly if possible but if it's too much messing about I might have to try clean it in situ using screwdriver and egr cleaner spray.

Andy

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club