Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carbon Wrapping Boot Lid Handle

ONETrueSaturday

Done a few searches but couldn't really find anything directly related to wrapping it on the MK7.

Anyway bought myself all the gear however its my first time doing something like this.

Is it best to fully remove the boot lid handle for wrapping it? To ensure you can wrap right round the edges properly? Thus a better job.

Had a quick look and doesn't look too impossible to remove it.....

Any advice on this please?

Thanks

D

I've done a few carbon wraps, you really do need to take the whole lot off for a good job; yes you can leave it on and have something that will do, but ideally you want to take it off.

Ideally you need to have carbon on top of carbon as much as possible, that way it's a much nicer bond and will last probably for longer than the car.

An alternative option, when a little more experienced with the wrapping, perhaps fabricate your own? I'm not gonna lie, it's tricky but once you've done 1 thing, God help anything else replicable on the car >.<

What would you recommend for cleaning the surface before wrapping mate?

I carbon wrapped my boot lid last year and you don't need to take it off mate just use a card to push the wrap in the gaps and a hair dryer to stretch the wrap

I carbon wrapped my boot lid last year and you don't need to take it off mate just use a card to push the wrap in the gaps and a hair dryer to stretch the wrap

Can I please see a picture please H??

As also unsure of how to go about doing the flat underside part which the number plate lights and boot handle sit.....

Just folding the edges over will have them peeling in no time, there's nothing for them to stick onto, they're just being held there by the fact they can't physically come back through the gaps.

Follow this YouTube video (and others from this company) they seem to know what they're doing, and I used them (even bought their products).

Just folding the edges over will have them peeling in no time, there's nothing for them to stick onto, they're just being held there by the fact they can't physically come back through the gaps.

Follow this YouTube video (and others from this company) they seem to know what they're doing, and I used them (even bought their products).

Cheers D.

I came across their kit/products the other day however I'm looking the wrap it properly yet at the same time have it easily removed if need be i.e not wanting to sand down or use adhesives.

Still a good link for the wrapping technique though mate....

Ah, yeah that's pretty impossible to do with that kit, fun to do though :P

For cleaning then, I'd suggest the same as what you've done for the DMB Overlays then, get to a squeeky clean where there's friction there when running your finger over, just to make sure there's no dirt. I'd say remove though, just for safety, though it's not just a case of pulling 1 bit off, I believe half the tailgate needs to be dismantled (when I got my car it was damaged in the showroom and had to be done before I picked it up in the evening and they said what a pain it was), just depends if you're happy enough reapplying if it peels off.

Ah, yeah that's pretty impossible to do with that kit, fun to do though :P

For cleaning then, I'd suggest the same as what you've done for the DMB Overlays then, get to a squeeky clean where there's friction there when running your finger over, just to make sure there's no dirt. I'd say remove though, just for safety, though it's not just a case of pulling 1 bit off, I believe half the tailgate needs to be dismantled (when I got my car it was damaged in the showroom and had to be done before I picked it up in the evening and they said what a pain it was), just depends if you're happy enough reapplying if it peels off.

Well, I think its easily enough to remove....

After removing the inner plastic boot cover there seems to be 4 nuts that are holding the handle itself on.

I maybe wrong though, I'll post updates when I get it done :D

EDIT - 6 nuts needed to remove the tailgate handle pretty easy to remove now, hopefully get it wrapped tomorrow.

Edited by ONETrueSaturday

Done!

Not as easy as first thought tbh, could of done a better job but it still looks pretty good, until you really get up close to see the flaws.

First time effort :rolleyes:

img03861t.jpg

img03871.jpg

img03881l.jpg

http:/img03891.jpg

One of the better jobs I've seen for sure :P Just needs someone now to write 'clean me' beneath it :P

One of the better jobs I've seen for sure :P Just needs someone now to write 'clean me' beneath it :P

Haha I know apologies for the mess! Wet weather is cruel to my white car. <_< <_<

I've been planning to do this for months and this has just made me buy some wrap ;)

Looks the bees knees OTS!

I've been planning to do this for months and this has just made me buy some wrap ;)

Looks the bees knees OTS!

Ta mate ;)

Nice wee mod, cheap too.

Trickier than its looks though, alot of curves/angles so alot of heating and stretching required but I just about got it spot it for my first attempt.

Wing mirrors next!!!

Pics up soon.....

Hi looks good ive done mine too and had to take the handle off...

83946d5d.jpg

I did the mirrors too but wasnt sure so took them

off again - goodluck though there hard!

Hi looks good ive done mine too and had to take the handle off...

83946d5d.jpg

I did the mirrors too but wasnt sure so took them

off again - goodluck though there hard!

Good effort mate! Looks better than mine anyway....

Yeah I'm using spare bits anyway and it's easily removable too so I'll see what like.

Good effort. Nice to see something different. Not my cup of tea tho :)

Will you be wrapping any other parts?

Good effort. Nice to see something different. Not my cup of tea tho :)

Will you be wrapping any other parts?

Gonna experiment with the wing mirrors mate.....

Gonna experiment with the wing mirrors mate.....

That could be good! The GF's Mini Cooper D has this purple effect going on inside on certain parts of the dash and they did the wing mirrors the same. Looks good!

Have a go at the interior trim, centre console and such :P I'm planning on wrapping one if I can get a spare one, or making one from scratch from carbon depending on the complexity :P

Have a go at the interior trim, centre console and such :P I'm planning on wrapping one if I can get a spare one, or making one from scratch from carbon depending on the complexity :P

From scratch? Interesting....

Soon I'm going to be spraying my plastics mate.

Yeah from scratch :P I don't need a second facia then either, I just need enough Carbon Fibre and enough moulding material, it's really not that difficult once you've done one or two bits :P