Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Mpg / Miles To A Full Tank Should I Get

chrisb1357

Hi,

I have just got a Ford Fiesta Y Reg 1.2 Freestyle and wanted to know what sort of MPG should i be getting and how much out of a tank. I know its subject to how i drive and when the car was last serviced but just need to work out.

Chris

It's difficult to say (for the reasons you stated) but based on typical driving (commuting with the odd longer run) I would expect you should get low 40s MPG. Based on a 40 litre tank, this would give a range in the region of between 350-400 miles.

iv got a 09 fiesta titanium 1.4 i only got 300 miles to a full tank

Hi I have a ford fiesta 1.4 zetec 2002 and she gets about 350-400 miles to a full tank, but thats driving sensibly i usually get about 300 when i kick her on :rolleyes:

1.6 TDCi doing 420ish to a tank when I fill up (420 til fill up) but I usually hit 460 with a stupidly heavy foot.

1.6 TDCi doing 420ish to a tank when I fill up (420 til fill up) but I usually hit 460 with a stupidly heavy foot.

I presume you mean you get more with a light foot not a heavy foot....?

Also, you have a diesel and he has a petrol so difficult to compare!

The 460 is still with some fun really; 420 if I have a phase of the floor is where the pedal belongs :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well managed to get 300 miles out of a tank. So not sure if thats good or not.

Chris

Well managed to get 300 miles out of a tank. So not sure if thats good or not.

Was the tank brimmed? If it was, 300 miles from a 9 gallon tank means you got about 33-34mpg from the tank which is OK if you've only been around town but poor if you've been out and about a bit more.

Bit of both to be honest. Town etc.

Think the car needs a service dont you. Plan on doing this end of Feb. Only just got the car to get me from A to B for now. Last owner was not sure when it was last serviced so that could be why we getting low MPG do you think?

Trips was just to and from work around 17 miles each way

Chris

A service certainly won't do any harm. Do you drive hard BTW?

Also, don't forget to check your air filter for clogging/replacement, check your tyre pressures, exhaust, etc, etc. It's not just the engine itself that will affect MPG.

Hi

I did drive a litle hard last week as i only just got the car so getting use to it.

Will check air filter and change this when i do the service.

How easy is it to change the oil and filter on these and to replace the coolant

Chris

Also, don't forget to check your air filter for clogging/replacement, check your tyre pressures, exhaust, etc, etc. It's not just the engine itself that will affect MPG.

Hi

I did drive a litle hard last week as i only just got the car so getting use to it.

Will check air filter and change this when i do the service.

How easy is it to change the oil and filter on these and to replace the coolant

Chris

Just got a 2006 Fiesta Zetec 1.25 a few weeks ago to travel to my new job. Doing roughly 20 miles a day, 10 miles there and back with alot of long dual carriageways but some stretches traffic jammed so alot of stopping and starting. Reading all these posts about 40-50 MPG and feel awful. I've done about 400-500 miles so far with the car clocked at about 59,000. Reset the trip computer and it shows I get 29.5 MPG

Usually kept revs between 2000 - 2500 RPM before changing gear but lately been trying to get home from work quicker so been waiting till 3000 RPM before changing and MPG has dropped to 29.3. Always use 5th gear above 40mph too so to keep revs around 1500

I think I read somewhere that 1.25 don't get great MPG because they have to work harder than a 1-1.2 but just to get the same acceleration but I can't remember. Pretty sure my parents Astra gets about 35-40 and a Volvo XC90 that has hit around 45 MPG. A 3.0L engine that had 1.5x the miles that of a 1.25 nearly gave me a heart attack. Any ideas/hints to increase other mpg other than driving like a snail and keeping revs about 1500?

Dave

Just got a 2006 Fiesta Zetec 1.25 a few weeks ago to travel to my new job. Doing roughly 20 miles a day, 10 miles there and back with alot of long dual carriageways but some stretches traffic jammed so alot of stopping and starting. Reading all these posts about 40-50 MPG and feel awful. I've done about 400-500 miles so far with the car clocked at about 59,000. Reset the trip computer and it shows I get 29.5 MPG

Usually kept revs between 2000 - 2500 RPM before changing gear but lately been trying to get home from work quicker so been waiting till 3000 RPM before changing and MPG has dropped to 29.3. Always use 5th gear above 40mph too so to keep revs around 1500

I think I read somewhere that 1.25 don't get great MPG because they have to work harder than a 1-1.2 but just to get the same acceleration but I can't remember. Pretty sure my parents Astra gets about 35-40 and a Volvo XC90 that has hit around 45 MPG. A 3.0L engine that had 1.5x the miles that of a 1.25 nearly gave me a heart attack. Any ideas/hints to increase other mpg other than driving like a snail and keeping revs about 1500?

Dave

I drive a 2001 Rover 25 1.6 and I get around 40.5mpg for mixed driving, not bad for a car that's done 170,000 miles. I found that I can save fuel by not using the heaters, rear demister, lights (when safe), and even the radio, oh and check the tyre pressure is right. It might be worth a shot to try that and see if you get any sort of increase? You never know. When I drive I shift up gears around 2,500 purely because it doesn't mean I over rev nor am I making the engine work harder by changing at lower revs, now it may be different for you as you drive a Ford Fiesta and not a Rover. You must remember to take all into a account, for example - 2 cars driving up a hill, both exactly the same except one is in a lower gear using half the pedal for gas, and the other is in fifth with his foot on the floor, obviously the car in the lower gear with higher revs will be achieving better MPG than the car in the higher gear with his foot to the floor.

The best way to determine MPG even with an onboard computer is to simply brim the tank and work out miles achieve by litres used.

I still need to check the tyre pressure but its too cold now i'll wait till the weathers a little better :)

Been told one of my alloys has a flat spot in too which apparently can cause uneven tyre wear and I'd assume cause drag lowering mpg too. I did work out manual mpg too but I forgot exactly now. I always fill up the tank (about £45 a time) usually between empty - 1/4 tank and I think trip computer says around 300-315 till empty. Believe tank is 45 litre capacity, drive 20 miles a day 5 days a week to work, simple math of 200 miles every 2 weeks and any excess mileage from short journey's to shops etc

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club