Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide Fitting Cruise Control Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 And Ford C-Max

Pidu

To be fair they do have to change them, by commenting the pc pressing buttons and ticking boxes and saving it lol

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had any success in flashing the PCM for CC on the 1.8 TDCI?

I have read on the Russian forum that some firmwares on the PCM will delete PATS bindings meaning you might not be able to start the engine after flashing.

There was a list of known firmwares to do this and I'm hoping mine isn't one of those firmwares on that list. I bought a modified ELM327 and I will check which firmware I have when it arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the new steering wheel and enabled CC in the GEM and the HEC. The buttons test works but no cruise control. Looks like I need to flash the PCM. Just got the latest ELM config software as the version I had did not support PCM configuration. I tried reading from the PCM yesterday but kept getting errors, the ODB lead I have has always been temperamental so have ordered another.

Must say I am really really nervous about flashing the PCM, I have flashed loads of phones and MP3 players over the years, but this is different.

is this on a ST?

ok guys everythings on hold :( the steering wheel i got is from a focus c max part number 3M513600CG and the airbag unit from mine wont fit :( this wheel takes a 4 point airbag fixing and mine is a 3 point .... Does anyone know what the part number would be for an airbag and cover unit for the new wheel ???

Thanks for your help

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got mine working. The stumbling block was enabling cruise control in the PCM. The problem was a bad ELM327 lead followed by another bad lead. A good one finally arrived today. Was quite straight forward for using the latest version of ELMconfig - Version 0.2.17b. The only thing that wasn't obvious was that it is necessary to obtain the PCM firmware from the information page of the PCM section and then select it from the drop down list on the 'Configuration' page. It only took a few seconds to read and then re-program the PCM.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

After joining the forum a little less than two weeks ago and reading through a lot of your posts, I am glad to say I am really happy I joined you all!
The cruise control was my first real mod to my MK2 Focus and after trial and error I have finally got it working tonight! So, on that note I thank you all as you've all helped in one way or another...

Enabling the CC in the HEC and the GEM was the easy bit, ordered a modified lead of eBay and happy days...
Turned out the lead wasn't suitable for the job of programming the PCM as it wasn't rated to the 500k that it was described as (being returned tomorrow for a refund)
I then bought one from http://www.jamessimpson.co.uk/ Yeah, it was about twice the price but I was assured by him it would work, low and behold, it did, so if you're worried about getting a dodgy one, give this guy a shout and order it from his store.

I don't know how some of you guys managed to do the procedure so quickly because mine took around 45 mins to read from the PCM and about 35 mins to write to it, each time!

If some of you guys are struggling this may help it may not, this is how I did mine;

1. make sure you have a decent modified ELM327 cable

2. Download the latest ELMConfig from (at the time of writing this, the latest was 2.17) http://civil.iffc.ru/elmconfig/

3. Enable in the GEM and HEC module (Self explanitory)

4. Now, this may not be the way some of you guys did this part for the PCM, but it's how I did mine;

- Open up the PCM page
   - Read the VIN Number
   - Open the information tab and click "Read"
   - Go to the configuration tab and click "Read from PCM"
   - Follow the instructions
   - Ensure that the PCM type in the top drop down box matches yours
   - Click on the Procedures tab and select page 2
   - Click Read firmware from PCM to BIN-file (This took around 50 mins IIRC)
   - Next click Load Firmware from PHF/HEX/BIN-file
   - I had a dialog box pop up here and ask me if I wanted to load this VID block, I selected "NO"
   - Return to the configuration tab, select Integrated Speed Control
   - Return to Procedures Page 2
   - Click Write current firmware to PCM
   - I then had a dialog box pop up and ask me if I wanted to use the current VID block, I selected "Yes"
   - Once this procedure started, I had a warning message on my dash clocks saying "Engine Systems Fault"
   - This procedure took about 35 mins to complete (I had to do this part about 5 times until I figured out what I had been doing wrong)
   - Once this part had completed, it rebooted the PCM and the error dissapeared

5. Test drive and enjoy!

-- Please note, I would highly recommend you save and save again throughout this as you don't want to lose you PCM configurations - I won't be held responsible for any damage or problems caused to your vehicle from following the method I used --

-- This is how I did it with my car - MK2 Focus 2.0 TDCI 136 Titanium - It may not work for yours but it may help someone in a sticky situation --

Best of luck and thank you to everyone posting their little bit of info, all helps someone like me! I hope I can help some of you :-)

• Like 2

What did you actually do wrong at step 4?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I had selected the wrong answer to the vid block question, when I was doing my research search I had only found that people were coming across 1 question about the vid block instead of the two I had. 

The ones I used so,  No then Yes was the order that applied it successfully.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am coming from Serbia and  first of all I want to apologize for my bad english. 

I am a new on this forum and in common days I've been reading the topics:

Guide For Focus Mk2/mk2.5 C-Max/kuga ~Elm 327 Cable And Ff2 Program

Guide Fitting Cruise Control Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 And Ford C-Max

Activating cruise control Focus MK2/2.5 ELMconfig

I have a Ford Focus MK2 1.6 16v 74kW, petrol/lpg, model year 2007. My car is not equipped with Cruise Speed Control system. I use to travel on highways a lot and  I realized that Cruise Speed Control Is something what I need.

When I decide to start work on the Cruise Speed Control  I checked complete car installation and then I decided to go on with software upgrade works.

You can see below the items I found:

1. 4-spoke steering wheel without any factory buttons for Cruise Speed Control

2. There’s a switch on the clutch pedal

3. There’s a two switches on the brake pedal

4. Connector C103 (the blue one) in PJB box, pins marked  10 and 18 are wired, with white and brown color

5. Wires from C103 are going to connector C896 (connector under steering wheel) to pins marked 4 and 5

6. I’ve been testing a instrument cluster (TEST mode, LED lights function) and I detected that Cruise Speed Control LED indicator is working.

After above mentioned items I decided to activate Cruise Control Speed.

I have got ELM327 USB diagnostic tool equipped with PIC18F2480-I/SO, FTDI chip FT232RL and switch ON-ON with possibilities to activate MS-CAN or HS-CAN.

I  downloaded a software ELMConfig 0.2.17b and installed it on computer. Drivers are correctly installed and ELM327 and they are working properly (manual set speed to 500k).

You can see below what I tried.

I started ELMConfig software and set English, FTDI2XX, FOCUSII/C-MAX/KUGA, Baudrate 500K after that I pressed open port. Communication was good.

1. Change was switched on on position MS-CAN than I went to GEM card and “Read from GEM”

2. I made a copy preventively on my computer before I was making any changes

3. In GEM configuration page 3 I activated Cruise control configuration, then “Write to GEM”.

4. “Write to GEM” was successfully

5. I changed a switch from the position MS-CAN to HS-CAN and than I went to HEC card and “Read from HEC”

6. I made a copy preventively on my computer before I was making any changes

7. In HEC configuration page I activated Cruise control configuration, then “Write to HEC”

8. “Write to HEC” was successfully

When I finished a previous steps I tried improvised hardwares buttons and  they were working and communicated with GEM module was good. I have got a confirmation for any pressed button and I heard sounds .

I stopped on this stage.

I came to the step of programming of PCM module on my car.

I was found three possible ways of programming of PCM module with ELMConfig:

1. Topic Guide Fitting Cruise Control Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 And Ford C-Max page 30 member  TitaniumPenguin wrote the whole procedure how  PCM module could be programmed.

2. Topic Guide For Focus Mk2/mk2.5 C-Max/kuga ~Elm 327 Cable And Ff2 Program page 59 member JW1982 wrote the whole procedure how  PCM module could be programmed.

3.      Topic Activating cruise control Focus MK2/2.5 ELMconfig  member Braders94 wrote the whole procedure how he did programming of PCM module.

My question is which of this three ways is correctly way to do a programming of PCM module? (To me is interesting way is first one).

Safety of procedure must be on first place, because I really don’t wont to something go wrong.

I tried something like a simulation with ELMConfig in the field PCM card and then  I have got a screen like on picture I uploaded.  

In next few rows You can find the specifications of my modules.(Red on ELMConfig)

GEM part number 7M5T – 14A073 – BB

GEM hardware part number – 7M5T – 14C245 – BB

GEM software version v.9(05.02.2007)

HEC part number 7M5T – 10849 – EB

HEC hardware part number 7M5T – 14C226 – BB

HEC software version 27.11.2006

PCM part number 7M51 – 12A650 – AFD

PCM software version v.5(06.02.2008)

PCM firmware number 7M51AFD

PCM module type SIM28

Questions:

1. Can I program PCM module based on above mentioned items successfully? (GEM,HEC,PCM)

2.  Why in filed Current PCM type (PHF/HEX header) wrote N/A(image a uploaded) ? Could that be a problem?

Thanks in advance,

untitled_1_crop.jpg

Hi stefablade,

I suggest you go ahead with one of the options to program the PCM and see if it works for you. I don't think any of us can guarantee any of the options you mentioned will work for you. There are a few different PCM's installed in our cars and each is a little different so there's no guarantees. Try the guide for the Focus first. Also, maybe you can find more info in my attempt: click here

We will probably be able to help you when you run into specific problems so go ahead and ask when you reach a problem. Chances are everything will go smooth.

Make sure you save a backup of the original firmware before doing anything so you will be able to go back if anything goes wrong!

Good luck! 

Edited by igorsinkovec
wording mistake
  • Like 1

Hi igorsinkovec

About few hours ago I successfully activated CC on my Focus!

First of all I want to thanks to member JW1982. He helped to me and gave to me instruction how to programmed PCM module and activate CC.

Also I want to thank to igorsinkovec who wrote and gave answer on my question.

Just for information and for help some other people in the future, I successfully programmed PCM module and activated CC using a fist way.

1. Topic Guide Fitting Cruise Control Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 And Ford C-Max page 30 member  TitaniumPenguin wrote the whole procedure how  PCM module could be programmed.

Thanks again for all you!

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I have my Focus mk2 TDCI 2.0 Titanium since five years now (the first ones, without DPF). A very good car, the only thing is don't have CC. Reading this marvelous topic I was exited as it does not appears very complicated to do.

So I just checked the few things per first post to ensure my car is eligible:

- I have the switches to the brake and clutch pedals. :smile:

- GEM number DD ... :smile:

b1574e42b79944a0a4cbf0ec00ce6eb4.png

- But finaly, brown and white wires from steering wheel clock spring to fuses box are missing.  :sad::wallbash:

8a656256e8854165954d8a5b958bc3f1.png

I'm very frustrated... is there any possibilities to install those wires, other things to take care?

Thanks.

Edit:

I just had a look to the mk2/2.5  wiring diagrams shared by @Preee (many thanks to him) :

Page 84 shows the brown and white wires go straight from the C896 to the C103 connector. Question is: does the steering column clock spring has the connectors and traces for the CC switches ?... I hope Ford used only one model.

@littlebalup I can't remember if we had such a case here before but if I were you I'd give it a go. I'd run the wires from C103 and test with only one button and a resistor to see if it beeps. Then I'd worry about connecting the steering wheel or even placing the buttons somewhere else altogether for example the radio stalk. Feeling adventurous? :wink:

1 hour ago, igorsinkovec said:

@littlebalup I can't remember if we had such a case here before but if I were you I'd give it a go. I'd run the wires from C103 and test with only one button and a resistor to see if it beeps. Then I'd worry about connecting the steering wheel or even placing the buttons somewhere else altogether for example the radio stalk. Feeling adventurous? :wink:

Adventurous?  Yes, of course.

But I'll prefer to have the swiches on the wheel.

Anyway, first I need to find  proper wire terminal to add to the C103 and C896 connectors.

I don't know where I can find that. Any idea or reference ?

Best bet local ads for second hand car parts I think, maybe try to get connectors from a wrecked car. If you want new, maybe try Farnell? http://www.farnell.com/  No better ideas, sorry.

But before buying anything, can you use a hard copper wire stuck into C103 just to test if GEM will recognize the signal?

9 minutes ago, igorsinkovec said:

Best bet local ads for second hand car parts I think, maybe try to get connectors from a wrecked car. If you want new, maybe try Farnell? http://www.farnell.com/  No better ideas, sorry.

But before buying anything, can you use a hard copper wire stuck into C103 just to test if GEM will recognize the signal?

I'll have to activate CC in GEM first to test it. Right?

Between,I found the connectors Ford part numbers from the diagrams:

C896 : 1S7T-14489-YA

C103 : 3M5T-14489-APC

But it will not help very much...

21 minutes ago, littlebalup said:

I'll have to activate CC in GEM first to test it. Right?

Yes.

Ok. I already ordered modified ELM327 to do that.

This week i'll try to find connectors from car breakers (and a steering wheel...)

Thanks

Hi littlebalup,

In this topic on the page 30 I wrote whole procedure how I did activate CC on my Focus.

Like igorsinkovec wrote to you, first you must make a connection between C103 (pins 10 and 18) and C896 (pins 4 and 5).. After you make a connection my advice to you is to make improvised buttons and using modified ELM327 with ELMConfigsoftware activate CC in GEM module. After that you will try buttons and if everything is OK you will heard confirmation sounds for any press button.

If all previous steps are ok you will be able to continue with activation CC system on your Focus.

Thanks @stefablade and @igorsinkovec for your advises.

So, I made an ugly but working CC button simulator. And I received a modified ELM327 from jamessimpson:

22c0ca183b2e4fa1b35539e0dbeee718.png

To test properly I'm still waiting wire terminals to add to my connectors. So, I finally found a steering wheel plus a complete airbag plus the C103 & C896 connectors plus the upper dash box (mine is broken... again...) for only 100€ shipped  :yahoo:. I should receive them tomorrow.

1ac0b64b90dd4417862dfb89fe55cc05.png

The only thing that make me a bit nervous is to overwrite the PCM rom. I read many ELMconfig precedures about PCM re-programming here and elsewhere and I think I undertood the necessary steps.

I found this one very interesting :

Note that he uses the "read calibration data only" on the procedure tab page2. This way it seems it do not download the whole PCM memory and takes only 9 minutes to dump instead of 50 minutes otherwise. What do you think about this?

Ok,

I added the missing wires, tested buttons, then installed the steering wheel.

I activated cruise controle in the GEM and HEC without any issue but I have problem with the PCM part of the procedure:

This is my information tab:

Capture.PNG

You can see my PCM type is SID803.

When I switch to configuration or procedure tab, it does not automaticaly select the SID803. Is it normal?

So, I manually selected "SID803 (2.0 136 TDCi)" then tryed to dump the PCM from the procedure tab, page 2, "Read firmware from PCM to BIN file" button.
The dump process starts then, after 15 minutes, i got following error message:

Capture_proc.PNG

The obtained dump file size is 410KB (420352 Bytes). If I load it I got error message saying it is invalid or insupported. I imagine it is corrupted or incomplete.

I also tryed by checking the "Read calibration data only". Then I got the same error, at the begining of the dump, with 0 bytes dump file.

I tryed by selecting other PCM types without success (error message at the begining of the dump process).
I stopped here as I'm afraid to do something wrong.

The only thing I want is to activate the integrated speed control in the PCM. Is it really necessary to dump the whole PCM, can we only activate speed control from the configuration tab?

Please help.

Edit:

I directly contacted civil-zz on the ffclub forum and described my problem. He said :

" I've added SID 803 module support basing only on theoretical data and seems that they are not correct. I noted this in the release. Sorry but there are no SID803 modules here in Russia which I could put on my table and check everything. "

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by littlebalup

@littlebalup Mate you can still go to a Ford service and ask them to activate CC using the official software from Ford. They will probably charge you a lot but they should be able to do it.

I contacted 3 Ford dealers. 2 of them said it's not possible to activate CC (lol) and one said it's forbiden per Ford policy...

12 hours ago, littlebalup said:

I contacted 3 Ford dealers. 2 of them said it's not possible to activate CC (lol) and one said it's forbiden per Ford policy...

They fear a lawsuit if a self fitted system goes haywire I suppose.

7 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

They fear a lawsuit if a self fitted system goes haywire I suppose.

That, and hiding the fact you're paying 200€ extra when buying your new car for what is just a simple configuration setting :wink:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club