Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide Fitting Cruise Control Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 And Ford C-Max

Pidu

Activating CC in PCM order:

1. Reading firmware (to the file on your laptop)

2. Loading that firmware (from that file you've just created)

3. Checking appropriate option in PCM

4. Writing the firmware

Thanks Igor, I'll check the ohm values using a multimeter. I have the Focus schematics file. I find it hard to believe that my PCM or its firmware doesn't support CC. Btw, the firmware inside my PCM is the newest version available for that type, dated late 2008. Cheers

Still, it could be 1.6 TDCi cars were never available with Cruise control. Can anyone confirm this?

4. Writing the firmware

Are you saying that these exact steps are necessary in order to activate Cruise Control in PCM?

Simple "tick the checkbox and write to PCM" isn't enough?

Igor, I doubt that, but I will try to get some information from people who own this engine.

I have checked the resistance and everything is correct, except that the SET+ and SET- buttons are wired (or placed) the wrong way around, but I don't mind that. The ON, OFF and RESUME buttons have correct resistance values, which should turn CC on and off...

I believe that the cc requires specific resistance parameters to function properly so having set+ & set- swapped may cause problems.

I believe that the cc requires specific resistance parameters to function properly so having set+ & set- swapped may cause problems.

I agree. The only way to absolutely eliminate the radio stalk as the possible cause is to make sure it's wired properly. Do you have any spare resistors lying around to make a temporary buttons assembly and test with that?

The procedure that @dyy outlined is what we all have done. The fact that you skipped a few steps is also a possible cause for your problem in my opinion, even if all logic defies it. I too ignored that before and I was probably wrong to. There could be something important that happens in the PCM during that procedure, for example it could force the PCM to accept a changed config whereas otherwise the PCM could ignore it. There is still a lot we don't know.

I agree. The only way to absolutely eliminate the radio stalk as the possible cause is to make sure it's wired properly. Do you have any spare resistors lying around to make a temporary buttons assembly and test with that?

I totally agree about that last sentence of yours. I think that those two buttons being swapped can't make a difference, since the GEM does certain steps when it detects certain resistance values, and it certainly does get correct input values when ON, OFF and RESUME buttons are pressed, but it still does nothing.

The procedure that @dyy outlined is what we all have done. The fact that you skipped a few steps is also a possible cause for your problem in my opinion, even if all logic defies it. I too ignored that before and I was probably wrong to. There could be something important that happens in the PCM during that procedure, for example it could force

the PCM to accept a changed config whereas otherwise the PCM could ignore it. There is still a lot we don't know.

If this is what all of you have done then I will try it tomorrow as well and we'll see. Thanks everyone for your help so far!

Yes. It's not enough to just tick the option and write

Are you saying that these exact steps are necessary in order to activate Cruise Control in PCM?

Simple "tick the checkbox and write to PCM" isn't enough?

Igor, I doubt that, but I will try to get some information from people who own this engine.

I have checked the resistance and everything is correct, except that the SET+ and SET- buttons are wired (or placed) the wrong way around, but I don't mind that. The ON, OFF and RESUME buttons have correct resistance values, which should turn CC on and off...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone again, just a quick question regarding these steps:

4. Writing the firmware

1. This step is done in section Procedures -> Page 2 by clicking "Read firmware from PCM to BIN file"?

2. This step is also done in section Procedures -> Page 2 by clicking "Load firmware from PHF/HEX/BIN-file" and then clicking "Write current firmware to PCM"?

3. This step is done in Configuration page, after step number 2, by checking the "Integrated Speed Control" check-box?

4. This step is done also in Configuration page by clicking "Write to PCM"?

Thanks again, and sorry for asking, I just want to make sure I do it the right way, I don't want to play around with my PCM too much.

You need to:

1. Read firmware (to file)

2. Load firmware (from file) - do not write yet

3. Check the option then

4. Write

You need to:

1. Read firmware (to file)

2. Load firmware (from file) - do not write yet

3. Check the option then

4. Write

OK, so are you saying that I'm supposed to do steps 2 and 4 on Procedures -> Page 2, and step 3 in Configuration page?

Don't remember now (it's been a while ago when I did mine) but I think it's correct

Yes Milosh, steps 1, 2 & 4 on Procedures - page 2, and step 3 on Configuration.

You will probably get a few messages about a non-empty VID block when trying to write the firmware (the BIN file) to PCM. It is important that you do NOT use the VID block from the BIN file but rather "the current one". I believe the VID block is actually the contents of the Configuration page.

You can also do step 3 first, then all the other steps. This is what I did (by mistake :). The important part is that when you write the firmware to the PCM the "Integrated speed control" checkbox is ticked, and that you use the "current" VID block.

Good luck.

Thanks Dyy and Igor, I will give it a try on Saturday and see how it goes. Just wanted to make sure I know the correct steps before jumping to it. Thanks

I installed cc on my 1.6tdci. So it's not model.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I installed cc on my 1.6tdci. So it's not model.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Hello everyone again,

Here's an update on my efforts to enable Cruise Control on my Focus.

I did the aforementioned procedure but the Cruise Control still doesn't work.

Here are the steps I took (besides enabling the CC in HEC and GEM), the buttons I'm talking about are marked with numbers and blue arrows:

1. I read the firmware from PCM to a .bin file on my computer by clicking the button #1 (reading the firmware took 53 minutes at 500000 bps and the resulting .bin file is exactly 2 MB in size):

step1.jpg

2. I loaded the newly created .bin file by clicking the button #2:

step2_1.jpg

3. After loading the file, ElmConfig looks like this:

3_1.jpg

4. I ticked the Integrated Speed Control checkbox, (#3):

step3.jpg

5. I clicked the button #4:

step4_1.jpg

After 23 minutes, writing to PCM was successfully completed.

After this process, the Cruise Control still doesn't work (I tried pressing all the buttons while driving).

One thing that I find strange (I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be) is that when I click the "Read from PCM" button on the Configuration page, the Integrated Cruise Control check-box is not ticked. Is that normal?

Thanks once again!

What I noticed from your pictures (especially picture no 4) that you didn't read the settings from PCM before you started reading and writing the firmware.

Try this:

- when on "configuration" page - "read from PCM"

- VIN - "read"

then repeat the steps with firmware (reading, loading, checking, writing)

(that's how I did mine)

Don't give up :)

One more thing: did you do checking procedure with the (cruise) buttons? (press the "rear window heating" button, turn the ignition on - don't start the engine, release the button) In this mode when you press the button you should hear a "sound" confirming it's working (you can press other buttons (like indicators, lights etc) to see)

What I noticed from your pictures (especially picture no 4) that you didn't read the settings from PCM before you started reading and writing the firmware.

Try this:

- when on "configuration" page - "read from PCM"

- VIN - "read"

then repeat the steps with firmware (reading, loading, checking, writing)

(that's how I did mine)

Don't give up :)

Thanks for replying!

I believe I did do this, although I can try again. I did click Read from PCM before starting, but I'm not sure if I read the VIN. Mind you, these screenshots were made offline, they are not screenshots from the actual process, but they illustrate what I did.

One more thing: did you do checking procedure with the (cruise) buttons? (press the "rear window heating" button, turn the ignition on - don't start the engine, release the button) In this mode when you press the button you should hear a "sound" confirming it's working (you can press other buttons (like indicators, lights etc) to see)

Yep, I did the GEM test several times and every button causes a beep. I also checked the resistance of the buttons and it's correct.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5ct915u7ypvvn1/DIADIKASIA.docx?dl=0

Read this might help,i don't remember when i get the message for the empty VID block i click yes or no ,i think NO

At the end says it didn't work out for this guy.Don't worry it works because when he get the meesage for the empty vid block he click yes.

Maybe some other friend help for what you click on empty vid block yes or no

What I remember is that during writing procedure there was something about "currant vid block" (or something similar). First time I clicked "no" and cc didn't work second time I clicked "yes" and it's ok.

In my case reading took about 20min, writing - 3min and the size of my file was only 512kB

In my case all the procedure it takes 12 minutes with the elm 327.For reading the pcm it takes 2 or 3 minutes and for writing another 2 or 3 minutes .It depends the laptop (memory,processor) and yes the size of my file too.

Sorry for my bad english ,i am trying very hard

Oh, yes, I totally forgot to mention that I did the entire procedure twice (in hope it would work) and I never got any messages or questions about the non-empty VID block. When writing to PCM starts it finishes successfully without any questions or prompts.

Also, I'm using a new adapter that works great at 500000 bps and my laptop has plenty of power an memory (i7 with 8 GB of RAM).

i remember that all friends we make the procedure we get the message for the empty vid block

This file is from the procedure

4_zpstxvf4t70.png

3_zpsav99kxfb.png

20150401_103703_zpskonha6lt.jpg

When I activated cc I only used the configuration page. I read PCM then checked integrated speed control ad then clicked write to PCM. It only took a matter of minutes.