• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2009

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hi,
Could not resist a quick look at the car.
I carried out the exact procedure as listed in my post 311. Except this time when asked the question about the non empty VID block I selected ‘no’ as recommended by jarp in post 313 lines 3-5. and carried on until the reprogrammed box appeared.
Took the car for a drive. Made sure I selected the buttons as in JohnH post 312.
I now have cruise control. Very strange feeling as though I am not in control. But I will get used to it running up and down the M5.

One other thing, I didn’t have the wires to the steering wheel from GEM. I checked that the pins were there in the GEM, and visited a scrap yard. Found a Focus with the wires, (unfortunately only a 3 spoke steering wheel) Cut the connectors off from each end. Took the pins out of these connectors and inserted them into the correct positions (10 & 18 in C103) in my connectors. Crimped wires in to join the two new connector pins together. Activated GEM and HEC cruise control and carried out the test using Heated rear window switch to confirm continuity. All working.
My GEM is Pt No 7M5T-14A073-CF. HEC Rom 403 and PCM Pt No 7M51-12A650-AFD as listed in picture 1 of my post 311.
The biggest problem I had was finding an ELM 327 that would run at 500000 baud rate.
A big thank you to all who have contributed to this and hope my experience will help others. Any questions just ask.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#317 jarp

jarp

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Name: Jari
  • Year: 2005

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Great stuff! I also received my USB dongle today, it worked for 500 000 bps (I'll post details to another thread) and took leap of faith and did what you did. Or actually, I first loaded PCM, said YES to the question asking if I want to use VID from PCM file and after that I loaded VID from file. And then flashed.

Took my car to highway and IT WORKS! Great, great stuff! I had replaced steering wheel earlier and nothing else apart from configuring HEC, GEM and PCM using elmconfig was needed! My GEM part number is 4M5T-14A073-CD, so it seems it does not need to end with -Dx as suggesed by firstr post!

Thank you everyone :)

Ps. Just for reference, my PCM part number was 5M51-12A650-HE, software version v.4 (05.07.2004), firmware E00DS4XA and module type SIM29. Worked flawlessly!

Edit: Also had to clear fault codes. Flashing PCM will lit some fault codes, apparently this is normal and after clear they won't bother anymore.

-J

#318 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,078 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

good find Jari! glad to see you got it sorted!

#319 clubber

clubber

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Ford Model: ST3
  • Year: 2008

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

Great work Cragrat and jarp, I think I will give this a go and see if I can be the 1st ST driver with OEM cruise control.

Just need to source a steering wheel from somewhere

#320 fyl

fyl

Settling In Well

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Name: fyl
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi
  • Year: 2011

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Hi,
Could not resist a quick look at the car.
I carried out the exact procedure as listed in my post 311. Except this time when asked the question about the non empty VID block I selected ‘no’ as recommended by jarp in post 313 lines 3-5. and carried on until the reprogrammed box appeared.
Took the car for a drive. Made sure I selected the buttons as in JohnH post 312.
I now have cruise control. Very strange feeling as though I am not in control. But I will get used to it running up and down the M5.

One other thing, I didn’t have the wires to the steering wheel from GEM. I checked that the pins were there in the GEM, and visited a scrap yard. Found a Focus with the wires, (unfortunately only a 3 spoke steering wheel) Cut the connectors off from each end. Took the pins out of these connectors and inserted them into the correct positions (10 & 18 in C103) in my connectors. Crimped wires in to join the two new connector pins together. Activated GEM and HEC cruise control and carried out the test using Heated rear window switch to confirm continuity. All working.
My GEM is Pt No 7M5T-14A073-CF. HEC Rom 403 and PCM Pt No 7M51-12A650-AFD as listed in picture 1 of my post 311.
The biggest problem I had was finding an ELM 327 that would run at 500000 baud rate.
A big thank you to all who have contributed to this and hope my experience will help others. Any questions just ask.

Cragat, just to confirm, your car didn't come with the wiring from steering to GEM and you basically took wires from another scrap focus and pulled it from the steering to the GEM connector ? The 2 wires are just plain straight wires right ? Thanks.

#321 Cragrat

Cragrat

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

Hi FYL,
Correct, I Took the connector from the scrap car steering wheel removed the 2 pins with the brown and white wires did the same on connector c103. Opened up my connectors and inserted the pins. Ran connecting wires between the two. Plugged them back in. Ran the test to confirm the GEM and HEC recognised the buttons on my steering wheel. The wiring diagrams in the Guides part of the forum shows the pin numbers and confirms that it is a straight run between the steering wheel and GEM.
Good luck. Hope it works for you.

#322 jarp

jarp

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

Next step retrofit ESP? Have those crazy russians been able to do it? I bet it will take more hardware modifications than cruise...

#323 Cragrat

Cragrat

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

Hi, Update on cruise control. Still getting used to it. When adjusting the speed using the + button it's quite rapid untill it gets to the new selected speed. Same when going up hill it realy puts the power on to keep the speed constant. Is there a software update for the PCM that smoothes this out? Apart from that I'm realy pleased.

#324 clubber

clubber

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Ford Model: ST3

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Got myself a wheel, now just need the Russians to adjust ELMconfig so that it's compatible with the 2.5l engine 

#325 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,078 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hi David,

The cruise would normally be activated when your at/around the appropriate speed then you activate it. You would then normally single click until you reach the appropriate speed (+/- 1mph) however it sounds like your pressing and holding until you reach the desired speed? in which case, I don't believe there is anything.

#326 Cragrat

Cragrat

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

Hi James,
I didn't explain it very well. If I'm doing 70 with cruise control engaged and have to brake due to traffic this disengages CC. When the traffic has cleared and I press the the res button, it's like I have put my foot to the floor and accelerate back to 70 rapido. It's the same when I press the + button to adjust me speed slightly. Not a smooth acceleration at all. I was just wondering if a software upgrade was available to smooth this out.
Dave

#327 jarp

jarp

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hi James,
I didn't explain it very well. If I'm doing 70 with cruise control engaged and have to brake due to traffic this disengages CC. When the traffic has cleared and I press the the res button, it's like I have put my foot to the floor and accelerate back to 70 rapido. It's the same when I press the + button to adjust me speed slightly. Not a smooth acceleration at all. I was just wondering if a software upgrade was available to smooth this out.
Dave

You need to learn to drive more sporty ;) For me, cruise accelerates almost the same pace than I accelerate by myself. However, do not know if this is engine or model dependent, if you have more powerful engine, it accelerates more rapidly or something...

But there is nothing you can do, at least with elmconfig. Doubt nobody has created custom firmware either, with smoother cruise... But you know, after braking, you can always manually accelerate to ~target speed and THEN press res or + to re-engange cruise? This way you can personally accelerate just like you want.

#328 fyl

fyl

Settling In Well

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Name: fyl
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi
  • Year: 2011

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

Hi FYL,
Correct, I Took the connector from the scrap car steering wheel removed the 2 pins with the brown and white wires did the same on connector c103. Opened up my connectors and inserted the pins. Ran connecting wires between the two. Plugged them back in. Ran the test to confirm the GEM and HEC recognised the buttons on my steering wheel. The wiring diagrams in the Guides part of the forum shows the pin numbers and confirms that it is a straight run between the steering wheel and GEM.
Good luck. Hope it works for you.

Just took a look at the GEM pins and confirm the Pins are there. So looking positive. Just ordered a USB ELM327 cable :)

#329 SkinnyB

SkinnyB

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Name: Simba
  • Ford Model: Zetec 1.6 Mk 2.5

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

Hi folks, been following this topic for around a year now. Bought a four spoke steering wheel and the airbag cover at least 8 months ago but from what people where saying did not want to rip my beloved three spoke out only for the CC not to work as my GEM was apparently the wrong type and being the tight ars£ i didnt want to pay someone to do it in case it didnt work either.

But after the update to the PCM module in ELM Config i thought i would play around with it see what i could figure out. I did not want to lose my three spoke wheel, dislike the four spoke very very much think its looks too chunky IMO so i thought i would see if there was a way round it. I will just say now for all the perfectionists out there this was a try and error thing and is far from perfect but anyone thinking of doing the same can benefit from my mistakes  :D

1st thing i done was to check that CC would actualy work so i took the CC connector bit from four spoke wheel and connected them DIRECTLY to the wires under steering wheel, on the way back home (had just done a night shift) about 40MPH pressed +set nothing thought ohh here we go  :(  then i pressed on followed by +set and  ^_^ it worked CC light came on dash followed by the most unusual feeling after i took my foot off the gas and speed was maintained  :o  

Half an hour later im home and started taking steering wheel apart  :) i was just trying different things to fit the CC buttons

IMG_4023.JPG IMG_4024.JPG

Put the buttons into the steering wheel then cut the bits off on either side for the buttons (cut too much off  on both sides so had to glue back some of the bits back)

IMG_4028.JPG

Screwed the buttons into place to the back of the steering wheel 

IMG_40301.jpg

Put the airbag back on 

IMG_4032.JPG

And this is the finished product 

IMG_4046.JPG  

Very pleased with the results and the buttons feel very secure too.

Hope this helps someone, i have everyone on here to thank for all the information supplied

#330 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,237 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

Very tidy job indeed and saves having to swap wheels and airbag covers too.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users