Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Fob/ Blade Transponder Thingy Quiestion (Help Im So Confused!)

masai

Hello,

First let me just apologise in advance for my dumbness!

I replaced the battery on my keyfob and for some reason it wasn't working all the time when I tried to lock/unlock my doors so I openned it up again and in the process damaged one of the chips inside, so now it doesnt' work at all! Oh and I have mullered the plastic casing too!

Theses are all the keys I have...

photo1.jpg

I have purchased this key on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=190631500419

If I get the key from eBay cut at a local key cutter and reprogram the fob to operate my doors and boot + reprogram the the immobiliser I'll be back in business! Or am I missing something?

How do you remove the key blade from my existing fob and put it into the new casing? I cant see how to do this? I guess it would be easier to just take me existing blade with the plastic and put it into the new fob but it looks really tatty now.

Also where is the chip or whatever it is that talks to the car's immobiliser on the key? - My existing key with the 3 buttons still starts the car despite the fact I have damaged the circuit board inside the fob.

One last thing! ... I have the Red key, but the key pattern looks different to that of the blue key and the key with the fob. (fob key and blue key look the same) Im too scared to try and use the red key on my car incase I bugger anyithing else up!

Red key on the left, blue on the right.

photo.jpg

thanks for any tips!

The remote circuit does not include the immobiliser chip. That is in the horseshoe part of the key, embedded somewhere in the plastic. You should be able to separate the remote from the key with a flat blade screwdriver on the reverse side of the key. When you get the eBay one, just separate the remote and swap it over so you are using the original key blade.

All you have to do then is programme the remote to the car as per your hand book. You will still be able to use the key as it is already programmed to your cars immobiliser.

You will find the sequence for programming the remote somewhere on this site.

Good luck

Yeah I guess it makes more sence to that but just thought I'd replace the the horse shoe bit too as mine looks really tatty. Thanks for the info

I had the same problem with the remote intermitantly not working on my 1999 Mondeo, (Now gone). it was caused by water getting into the electrics of the centeral locking, if this is the case with yours, replacing the key will not solve the problem. Just use the keys manualy and save youself the cost of replacing the keys. A 12 year old car is on borrowed time and I would not spend unnecessary money on it. I am sorry if that suond harsh but cars don't last for ever.

Hi, the immobiliser chip is in the button part of the the key, this my key, a simple test is to try and start your car with just the blade part, leave the button part away from the car, if your will not start then your key is the same as mine, have the new key cut and programme it to the car.

To programme new key:- all keys to be programmed must be inside the car, all doors closed, and fasten the front seat belts, turn on / off about four times a tone will sound, leave the key in, do not remove, press any button on the keys, this info is out of my Owners guide book on page 85.

it should help you..

post-2425-0-80383500-1327676500_thumb.jp post-2425-0-60764700-1327676521_thumb.jp

Thanks for the info Alan! Much appreciated.

I hear what your saying ndsussex, if I can get the remote locking sorted for £15 its a small price to pay for the convenience of quicky getting in /out or my car.... Must do it 5-10 times a day!

I'll try starting my car without carring the botton part of the fob and see if it starts - good thinking!

Hopefully the new fob arrifes tomorrow and I can get it working without problems!

The immobilizer chip is not in the remote half of the key. Believe me I have used numerous second hand remotes. The remote part is only a remote which can be programmed to the central locking. The key blade part has to be programmed to the imobiliser in order to start the car.

Do the test and leave the immobiliser section in the house. You will still be able to start your car just with the original blade.

On flip keys the immobiliser chip is in the blade part, on standard 3 button keys the chip is in the fob.

140CAWLZQAE.jpg

It's the small bump at the top left of the fob.

It looks like a small glass tube (exactly like the chips they put into dogs).

stoney is correct - if you buy a replacement of fleabay make sure the part code on the new one is the same as the the code on the original ( or it wont work) when you sync the the new key to the immobiliser you must do all the keys in their correct order ..my non fob key was number 1 then the original button fob no2 and the new button fob number 3 ..and it doesn't always work ..depends on the options in the settings .( if you lose a key then you can't continue the sequence). i had to have mine programmed in by a local auto locksmith ..cost me £2 for a new keyblank from fleabay +£15 for a seconhand button fob(with correct part codes) and £35 for programming and cutting..£52 all in ..compared with over £240 quoted by frauds in plymouth ..i recon i done well ,theres also a max amount of keys that you can have sync'd at any one time (5 i think) so if you loose one you need to get it removed from the history before you can add another- the central locking side can be done without affecting the imobiliser as all you do is put the central locking into learn mode and add all your remotes one after another ( all remotes have to be re-sync'd again if your adding a new one or if you've lost the sync after a battery change etc)

Well thats got me completely stumped. As I have bought two remote keys second hand in the past. Thrown the key blade away that came with them. Put the blade on from the old one. Programmed just the remote to the locking system and then started the car and used it. Once on an old Focus and on the current SportKA. I didnt use two keys as you would to programme another to the immobiliser.

Oh well.

All sorted! :)

Stoney was right about the immobiliser chip, its on the fob part not the key part.

The fob I bought of eBay worked fine once programmed. Guess I got lucky as I didn't check if the part number match my existing key, nor did I know about the sequence!

The red key (pictured in my 1st post) doesn't do anything, doesnt open my doors nor start it. Am guessing it wasn't ever meant for my car? I'll hang on to it just in case though!

All done in a few minutes, the 1st time I tried programming the remote it beeped but didn't work, the 2nd time it didn't beep but worked. Not sure why but I now have 2 working keys and a spare fob.

I might as well get the key cut as I have a spare fob with a working immobiliser chip.

Thanks everyone for your help, really appreciate it and am well happy I managed to fix it myself! :D

Well thats got me completely stumped. As I have bought two remote keys second hand in the past. Thrown the key blade away that came with them. Put the blade on from the old one. Programmed just the remote to the locking system and then started the car and used it. Once on an old Focus and on the current SportKA. I didnt use two keys as you would to programme another to the immobiliser.

Very curious, There are millions of PATS2 codes, you were either very lucky or you have a mutant car. :blink:

Stoney was right about the immobiliser chip, its on the fob part not the key part.

The fob I bought of ebay worked fine once programmed. Guess I got lucky as I didn't check if the part number match my existing key, nor did I know about the sequence!

The red key (pictured in my 1st post) doesn't do anything, doesnt open my doors nor start it. Am guessing it wasn't ever meant for my car? I'll hang on to it just in case though!

All done in a few minutes, the 1st time I tried programming the remote it beeped but didn't work, the 2nd time it didn't beep but worked. Not sure why but I now have 2 working keys and a spare fob.

I might as well get the key cut as I have a spare fob with a working immobiliser chip.

Thanks everyone for your help, really appreciate it and am well happy I managed to fix it myself! :D

I got something right? My god, shock horror! :P

That spare red key was probably thrown in as most people know that a savvy buyer will walk away from a ford with one key.

Happy ending all round then.

stoney is correct - if you buy a replacement of fleabay make sure the part code on the new one is the same as the the code on the original ( or it wont work) when you sync the the new key to the immobiliser you must do all the keys in their correct order ..my non fob key was number 1 then the original button fob no2 and the new button fob number 3 ..and it doesn't always work ..depends on the options in the settings .( if you lose a key then you can't continue the sequence). i had to have mine programmed in by a local auto locksmith ..cost me £2 for a new keyblank from fleabay +£15 for a seconhand button fob(with correct part codes) and £35 for programming and cutting..£52 all in ..compared with over £240 quoted by frauds in plymouth ..i recon i done well ,theres also a max amount of keys that you can have sync'd at any one time (5 i think) so if you loose one you need to get it removed from the history before you can add another- the central locking side can be done without affecting the imobiliser as all you do is put the central locking into learn mode and add all your remotes one after another ( all remotes have to be re-sync'd again if your adding a new one or if you've lost the sync after a battery change etc)

Yeah, Vospers in Plymouth are a pain, thats about what i was quoted for a spare key on my old MK1, suffice to say i never did get a spare one.

They do have a habit for insisting on doing diagnostics to everyone too.

£100 for hooking up the car to a reader and then bogging off for a 3 hour tea break.

If i want anything doing i go to the dealer in Kingsbridge - much nicer and less pushy.

I sorted myself a flip key for my current Focus - £30 for the key of eBay, £30 for cutting and programming via a mobile locksmith that does a lot of work for Police entering vehicles for searches and recoveries.

I think flip keys look way smarter. B)

Masai, save the info that i sent just incase you need it agian.. :)

Masai, save the info that i sent just incase you need it agian.. :)

Already printed and kept with my car documents! - Thanks mate B)