Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I Void My Warranty

sambooka

I really want to start modifying my mk7 zetec s but am unsure whether it's worth voiding the warranty for so I am just after a bit of advise and also if anyone has had serious faults with the mk7 that the warranty covers other than bent alloys and bluetooth faults

Thanks for any replys

some alterations won't necessarily void the warranty, especially if they are reversible.

generally only fitting a tuning box (remap) of the ECU and replacing engine components would void the warranty and even then, they only void that particlar component.

for eg. if you void the engine warranty, you may still be able to claim if the back suspension caves in (unrelated series of components)

some alterations won't necessarily void the warranty, especially if they are reversible.

generally only fitting a tuning box (remap) of the ECU and replacing engine components would void the warranty and even then, they only void that particlar component.

for eg. if you void the engine warranty, you may still be able to claim if the back suspension caves in (unrelated series of components)

So if I upgrade all my suspension anti roll bars and so on my engine will still be covered

Like orcomma has said - You will only void the warranty on the bits you fiddle with or the bits that they are directly connected or related to.

Ok that's great but is there anything likely to go wrong if I start doing engine mods such as a new air filter (k&n or j1) and engine remap as I am after a bit more power plus the added economy of my oil burner

Hi am pretty sure if you go for an engine remap you will void your warranty,so be careful what mods you take on.

Hi am pretty sure if you go for an engine remap you will void your warranty,so be careful what mods you take on.

I would say that air filter is borderline and that a remap is a defo warranty breaker. Either of these will of course just affect the warranty on the engine.

Yeh I know air filter is borderline to whether it triggers the hex flag and I know engine mods will void the warranty but want to know if there are faults happening on older cars that will cost a fortune to fix

I doubt changing the air filter to K&N will do any damage or affect the warranty, a remap... most definitely!

Plus to swap the air filter is literally a 2mim job to reverse back to standard.

Also Eibach springs are Ford approved so they don't void your warranty I think. as long as there maybe fitted by a Ford dealer though?

Someone maybe correct me if I'm wrong on this though mate.

the flag will definitely be logged in the ECU memory if you remap (even if you re-remap back again before a service)

also remember mods must be declared to mister insurance ;)

I doubt changing the air filter to K&N will do any damage or affect the warranty, a remap... most definitely!

Plus to swap the air filter is literally a 2mim job to reverse back to standard.

Also Eibach springs are Ford approved so they don't void your warranty I think. as long as there maybe fitted by a Ford dealer though?

Someone maybe correct me if I'm wrong on this though mate.

You are right about the eibachs think it can be ford approved garages also is it just specific Eibach products or the full range and the air filter hex flag thing is a bit of a grey area no one is positive whether it will or won't be triggered

the flag will definitely be logged in the ECU memory if you remap (even if you re-remap back again before a service)

also remember mods must be declared to mister insurance ;)

Yep at which point Dollar signs will appear in his eyes only being 22 and not learning to drive until I was 20 And having a claim against me it's to be expected

The less my insurance know the better lol ;) ;)

Until you come to make a claim and they refuse?

Although I can see the advantages of this I think inath has a point

yeh because the last thing you want is to smash up a bentley and be faced with a £30,000 repair bill mister insurance won't pay for!

Haha thought my comment would get a few statements!

The only thing they dont know about is my Eibachs and HIDs.

HIDs can easily be swapped back to standard. Whereas springs not as much requires a little more.

My renewal is due up in a week or so.

My new nsurance policy will include ALL my mods..... :)

Had a lucky year with no claims but this year you never know :ph34r: :ph34r:

Makes me laugh how you modify you're car with better brakes suspension etc and have to pay higher insurance for making it safer

HIDs can easily be swapped back to standard. Whereas springs not as much requires a little more.

Not when your cars been smashed to a tin can or ripped apart by the fire brigade with the jaws of life, don't think it'd be very easy to put it back to standard before the claims inspector comes knocking!

Not when your cars been smashed to a tin can or ripped apart by the fire brigade with the jaws of life, don't think it'd be very easy to put it back to standard before the claims inspector comes knocking!

especially if it gets taken to a compound by the insurer's recovery company... bolt cutters and a maglite at midnight :lol:

Why did you say that now its gone completely of topic

Why did you say that now its gone completely of topic

In relation to post #11 by orcomma regarding telling mister insurance about all mods.....

my bad.

summary - your warranty will only be void on the components you change (and possibly related components)

some changes can be reversed, ie making your warranty valid again

other changes (like remaps) can't be reversed because the ECU flags the change and ford will know when they hook it to IDS

on a side note you need to consider the insurance implications as well as warranty implications of modding your car before going ahead

:)

well just for the moment dont think i am going to do anything to the engine because if it goes wrong then its going to cos me a fortune to fix istead of ford.to do with the Eibach suspension that is for approved does that cover the full Eibach range of products or just specific products.