Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slight Squeak From The Drive Belt

MartynS

For a while now my engine has sounded slightly different to what it used to, listening to it from inside or outside the car there's a clicking/chuffing type noise occurring a few times a second. I wondered at first if it was simply something like an injector or valve being a bit louder than the others, but after counting how many times it happens in a few seconds it's not quite enough to be something happening every 2 revolutions thus ruling out things like this.

I finally got round to getting the bonnet up today with the engine running, albeit in the dark so I could barely see anything, but it seems to be coming from the drive belt area. This is backed up by the fact it looks like it happens at the same rate as a white mark on the belt goes round. It's more of a squeaking sound close up than the clicking heard outside, and it occurs in very short pulses.

I need to look again in daylight, but in the meantime does it sound like there's a potential problem here or is this to be expected? I guess it's just a slippery spot or something on the belt? It's covered about 10.5K since new.

Cheers.

Not sure what would be causing it, but I would get it back to the dealer straight away, as you have warranty. Any squeaks, clicking or that that wasn't there before is not right.

Good luck!

Agreed with the post above me, it needs to go back to the dealer before something is damaged further. Just an idea, my belt squeeks sometimes so I spray some WD40 on it, it keeps moisture off and makes it quieter. Your problem could also be one of the tensioners or ancillaries making a noise due to damaged bearings. The dealer will be able to check for signs of this by removing the belt and turning each pulley by hand.

ok, I've since had a better look/listen and it doesn't appear to be coming from where I initially said and doesn't really tie in with the belt movement. I'm also not convinced that there's anything wrong at all now as it may just be normal engine noises that I didn't pay particular attention to before.

It's actually loudest from lower down beside the offside front wheel (outside of the car rather than in the engine bay), and also weirdly from around the middle of the engine. It's more of a 'flapping' noise if anything than a squeak.

I'm considering taking it into a dealer but I'm a bit reluctant to as there's probably nothing wrong and I don't want to look stupid or waste their time presenting them with a car that's making perfecly normal noises!

Don't suppose anyone's around the Bracknell area during the day who would mind comparing cars? :rolleyes:

I don't like to keep replying to my own posts, but I found this on youtube:

which sounds pretty much the same as mine. I guess the clicking noise is normal, but what is it?

Hiya mate, sorry I missed this one and meant to reply back to you! If it's a noise that loads of people are describing I wouldn't be overly worried. However if you were to drive past the dealer then there would be no harm in getting a mechanic to listen, and maybe they'll be able to tell you what's causing the noise and whether it's a common thing.

Other than that I wouldn't worry too much and would keep enjoying the car. My father's Mitsubishi Colt makes this really annoying 'clunk' when idle, we couldn't understand what it was. Being a Motobility car he didn't have to worry about cost, so let the dealer have a look and a listen. The mechanic came out and listened, as soon as he heard the noise he said "Oh that's the air conditioning pump clutch engaging", I wasn't too sure and asked why it kept engaging and dissengaging, he explained it's due to the climate control and to save fuel - when the temperate in the car reaches the right temperature, it shuts the A/C pump off, when it heats up again, it switches it back on. It's just the design of the car and the noisy electromagnetic clutch on the pump! It seemed like a problem but was just normal.

Right am rambling, this is what the old cider does to me :D

Dan

Cheers for the advice, I'm going to take it into a dealer next week as it still doesn't sound right to me. I had another look this evening and there's definately a squeak coming from somewhere, also noticed a narrow strip on the belt where the writing has been worn off. Feels perfectly smooth though, weird! I'll update this thread when I get the results.

Hi i Had the exact same thing with my fietsa! Took it back to my local dealer found it was the belt tensioner!

Replaced under warranty!

Now sweet as a nut!

Interesting, I'll have to mention that to the dealer. Was yours easy to detect as that or did it take the dealer some investigating? Is there anything in particular I can look out for to see if mine is the same? Cheers

Right, the car spent today at the dealers (also had someone take a quick look at it when I dropped it off) and they found nothing wrong with it at all. It actually sounded better than it has recently when I was showing the guy, so this combined with their results means everything is good! They're probably seeing me as a timewaster now but at least I have that peace of mind that people who know their stuff have checked it over.

I can't fault their service at all, the staff there were very helpful and even bought my car round to the front of the building when I came to pick it up!