Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fitting Rear Parking Sensors Focus Mk2.5

Preee

The Mk3 with Park Assist , yes also has front parking sensors , If you select reverse , the front automatically come on as well and remain on for a set ammount of time after you take it out of reverse , and yes they are very handy to have.

Only difference with fitting the Front to the rear, would be no guide holes i guess , but fitting it via a switch would allow you to use them when required.

Thanks Paul. I will order the rear set with display and use your guide to install first. Then later on in time I might order a basic set with the buzzer for the front and add a switch to them but only if I really need them. I will see how I get on with the reverse ones first.

Thanks again.

OK just ordered the sensors from eBay. I got the cisbo rear led display ones in silver. Hopefully they will be as good of color match as the ones in preees guide my focus is moondust silver so fingers crossed. Hate the thought of drilling a perfect bumper but hopefully all goes well. Should be here by mid week so I'm counting down low! Any one with the silver focus in 5 door have scuff plates that blend in with color or can recommend any cheap but decent ones? I was thinking they wud be a good option especially with the kids jumping in and out.

Look for Richbrook ones on eBay.

I have stainless ones on mine and they look smart.

Thanks for reply Clive. I will look out for them. Have you any pictures of them on your focus?

I'll chuck a couple up when I'm at my PC.

Cheers for pics Clive. Yeah they look tidy and blend well. I will pick a set up in the coming weeks. Have you modified much on your focus?

If you look at my signature picture you'll see a list of my mods so far.

I was thinking of wiring the sensors in to car using the electrical blocks that be used in the house for ceiling lights as my soldering iron is broke and I'm not a big fan of the scotch locks as some tend to come loose over time and don't connect The best with fine wires. Would these blocks be OK to use if connected and taped up?

I was thinking of wiring the sensors in to car using the electrical blocks that be used in the house for ceiling lights as my soldering iron is broke and I'm not a big fan of the scotch locks as some tend to come loose over time and don't connect The best with fine wires. Would these blocks be OK to use if connected and taped up?

My recommendation for in-car wiring is a crimping tool with connectors. No skill required and not messy or dangerous (as with soldering), not unreliable like scotch locks.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/crimp-tool-and-connectors-set-44094

OK my sensors arrived today and I'm think they look good. Everything seems OK upon a test setup before I install only problem was the color profile on display is yellow and red and I really wanted the green yellow and red but upon contacting seller they said they only have the yellow red profiles and they can't control the color of the displays it the manufacturer that changes them from time to time.

So upon that little bump I think I might keep the yellow red display as returning would mean paying postage for the sake of 2 green LEDs in display. On a positive the sensor color is spot on for moondust silver focus. One thing though I got 4 washer looking rings maybe for angle adjustment not sure what these are. Does anyone know what they are and do I need them on the focus bumper? I can't recall prees guide mentioning these. Also preees has listed a inline fuse but the sensor power lead just has red /black wire with no fuse. Do I just wire directly to reverse power and negative then with no fuse needed? I don't recall pree mentioning a fuse in the wiring section of the guide but I think he lists it at the start in a contents section.

It is the angle adjustment, I put them on mine and then rotated them until I got a flat 90 degree finish on the sensor.

As for the wiring - yup, just connect the positive to the reverse wire, and the negative to the earth point in the corner of the boot nearest the lights. I dont have a fuse on mine either, but the power it draws is minimal and very few of the cheaper kits have the fuse. You can wire an inline fuse if you wish, but IMHO its unnecessary :)

I would suggest get yourself some BUTT connectors, put the cables in each end and then crimp. Job done!

Thanks for reply James. Do you have any links to the connectors I need? I was looking at a crimping set from Halfords today but wasn't sure if the connectors that came with it where Gona do my job

I fit an inline fuse to everything electrical i fit , habit i guess. As Jeebo stated the rings are for angles if the bumper was curved , i never used them.

Should I fit a fuse in the live of the sensors then? Is it a nessary thing to do and if so what size of fuse is needed?

Also where do the angle adjustment rings go? Is it outside bumper behind the sensor or inside of bumper at back of sensor? I don't think I will use these as pree said he never used them and sensors were reliable enough. I think they are maybe for more curved or ridged bumpers where the sensor won't sit flush enough on bumper but maybe I'm wrong.

Also one more thing, I haven't got any butt connectors and want to install this today i have scotch locks but dont think they would be secure enough to last so would those block connector be as good and safe to use as anything? and as they will be hidden you won't see them also so I suppose that's a plus.

Should I fit a fuse in the live of the sensors then? Is it a nessary thing to do and if so what size of fuse is needed?

Also where do the angle adjustment rings go? Is it outside bumper behind the sensor or inside of bumper at back of sensor? I don't think I will use these as pree said he never used them and sensors were reliable enough. I think they are maybe for more curved or ridged bumpers where the sensor won't sit flush enough on bumper but maybe I'm wrong.

Also one more thing, I haven't got any butt connectors and want to install this today i have scotch locks but dont think they would be secure enough to last so would those block connector be as good and safe to use as anything? and as they will be hidden you won't see them also so I suppose that's a plus.

You don't need a fuse... they barely draw any power at all, nowhere near a significant amount compared to what the rear parking light draws anyway. So any fuse that comes for the rear parking light already will be sufficient (I don't think there is any...), no need to add extra fuses.

The angle rings go between the bumper and the sensor on the outside, but I didn't use them on my Focus ... the Focus rear bumper is already pretty flat.

Block connectors should be fine. Don't use Scotch Locks.

Change of plan I'm heading to Halfords to get butt connectors and crimping kit. No point in half doing a job so I will keep you's updated on my progress.

Cheers.

got holes drilled out tonight and thats about it. crashed on sofa after tea then fell asleep. so who will finish first thing tomorrow. so far though all going well.

that really is the hardest part of the job, taking a drill to your bumper! the rest is easy to work around!

OK guys, I know this sounds stupid but I just need to make sure I'm doing this right. First time using a crimping set so bare with me lol! Do I make a cut in the reverse live then on top end of butt connector insert the sensors red live alongside one end of reverse live then on other end of butt connector insert the remaining part reverse live? So in summary you have two wires (1 pt of reverse live and red live from sensors) going into butt connector on one side and going out on the other side just one wire (2nd half of reverse live). Once again sorry for sounding dumb but I'm used to just cutting and soldering but my iron is broke so gonna try crimping the electrics now on. (If all goes well lol!)

OK guys, I know this sounds stupid but I just need to make sure I'm doing this right. First time using a crimping set so bare with me lol! Do I make a cut in the reverse live then on top end of butt connector insert the sensors red live alongside one end of reverse live then on other end of butt connector insert the remaining part reverse live? So in summary you have two wires (1 pt of reverse live and red live from sensors) going into butt connector on one side and going out on the other side just one wire (2nd half of reverse live). Once again sorry for sounding dumb but I'm used to just cutting and soldering but my iron is broke so gonna try crimping the electrics now on. (If all goes well lol!)

Yeah that's right. You can get small triangular connectors that take 3 inputs, so if you have one of those in your set you could use that instead.

Otherwise, yes, cut the live to the reverse light, put one bit of the cut wire in one end, and put the other bit + the parking sensor live wire into the other.

Agreed, just put two positives in one end, and the continuing wire in the other, then crimp well.

Once you have done this, then just put the negative to the earth bolt and thats it :)

Thanks for replys. I got them installed and all works great. I drilled extra 4/5 holes behind bumper on plastic part attached to underbody and cable tied the sensor loom to it to keep all neat. Mine had a wired display so I ran the wire across the roof of car to the rear view mirror (my choice of location) and I'm very happy. I have included some pictures from the installation to show what I mean. The crimped wires turned out well and I will use this method from now on as i find it fast secure but tidy so thanks to garrie for recommending it. What does every one think of the finished product?

Tidy install there.

Well done indeed.