Ford Focus Mk2.5 Zetec

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Name: Sonic
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus Mk2.5
  • Year: 2009

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

Should I fit a fuse in the live of the sensors then? Is it a nessary thing to do and if so what size of fuse is needed?

Also where do the angle adjustment rings go? Is it outside bumper behind the sensor or inside of bumper at back of sensor? I don't think I will use these as pree said he never used them and sensors were reliable enough. I think they are maybe for more curved or ridged bumpers where the sensor won't sit flush enough on bumper but maybe I'm wrong.

Also one more thing, I haven't got any butt connectors and want to install this today i have scotch locks but dont think they would be secure enough to last so would those block connector be as good and safe to use as anything? and as they will be hidden you won't see them also so I suppose that's a plus.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#167 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Name: Garrie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 (100PS)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

Should I fit a fuse in the live of the sensors then? Is it a nessary thing to do and if so what size of fuse is needed?

Also where do the angle adjustment rings go? Is it outside bumper behind the sensor or inside of bumper at back of sensor? I don't think I will use these as pree said he never used them and sensors were reliable enough. I think they are maybe for more curved or ridged bumpers where the sensor won't sit flush enough on bumper but maybe I'm wrong.

Also one more thing, I haven't got any butt connectors and want to install this today i have scotch locks but dont think they would be secure enough to last so would those block connector be as good and safe to use as anything? and as they will be hidden you won't see them also so I suppose that's a plus.

You don't need a fuse... they barely draw any power at all, nowhere near a significant amount compared to what the rear parking light draws anyway. So any fuse that comes for the rear parking light already will be sufficient (I don't think there is any...), no need to add extra fuses.

The angle rings go between the bumper and the sensor on the outside, but I didn't use them on my Focus ... the Focus rear bumper is already pretty flat.

Block connectors should be fine. Don't use Scotch Locks.

#168 sonic113

sonic113

Ford Focus Mk2.5 Zetec

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

Change of plan I'm heading to halfords to get butt connectors and crimping kit. No point in half doing a job so I will keep you's updated on my progress.
Cheers.

#169 sonic113

sonic113

Ford Focus Mk2.5 Zetec

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

got holes drilled out tonight and thats about it. crashed on sofa after tea then fell asleep. so who will finish first thing tomorrow. so far though all going well.

#170 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,097 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

that really is the hardest part of the job, taking a drill to your bumper! the rest is easy to work around!

#171 sonic113

sonic113

Ford Focus Mk2.5 Zetec

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

OK guys, I know this sounds stupid but I just need to make sure I'm doing this right. First time using a crimping set so bare with me lol! Do I make a cut in the reverse live then on top end of butt connector insert the sensors red live alongside one end of reverse live then on other end of butt connector insert the remaining part reverse live? So in summary you have two wires (1 pt of reverse live and red live from sensors) going into butt connector on one side and going out on the other side just one wire (2nd half of reverse live). Once again sorry for sounding dumb but I'm used to just cutting and soldering but my iron is broke so gonna try crimping the electrics now on. (If all goes well lol!)

#172 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Name: Garrie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 (100PS)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

OK guys, I know this sounds stupid but I just need to make sure I'm doing this right. First time using a crimping set so bare with me lol! Do I make a cut in the reverse live then on top end of butt connector insert the sensors red live alongside one end of reverse live then on other end of butt connector insert the remaining part reverse live? So in summary you have two wires (1 pt of reverse live and red live from sensors) going into butt connector on one side and going out on the other side just one wire (2nd half of reverse live). Once again sorry for sounding dumb but I'm used to just cutting and soldering but my iron is broke so gonna try crimping the electrics now on. (If all goes well lol!)

Yeah that's right. You can get small triangular connectors that take 3 inputs, so if you have one of those in your set you could use that instead.

Otherwise, yes, cut the live to the reverse light, put one bit of the cut wire in one end, and put the other bit + the parking sensor live wire into the other.

#173 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,097 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Agreed, just put two positives in one end, and the continuing wire in the other, then crimp well.

Once you have done this, then just put the negative to the earth bolt and thats it :)

#174 sonic113

sonic113

Ford Focus Mk2.5 Zetec

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

Thanks for replys. I got them installed and all works great. I drilled extra 4/5 holes behind bumper on plastic part attached to underbody and cable tied the sensor loom to it to keep all neat. Mine had a wired display so I ran the wire across the roof of car to the rear view mirror (my choice of location) and I'm very happy. I have included some pictures from the installation to show what I mean. The crimped wires turned out well and I will use this method from now on as i find it fast secure but tidy so thanks to garrie for recommending it. What does every one think of the finished product?

#175 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,252 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:04 AM

Tidy install there.
Well done indeed.

#176 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:10 AM

Nice work sonic

#177 sonic113

sonic113

Ford Focus Mk2.5 Zetec

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:31 AM

Thanks guys,
thats my first mod to the focus so looking to see what else I can do. Also when I what to ask a question or start a topic where do I post messages? I don't want to keep posting stuff here in this section as it probably won't be related to parking sensors anymore since I have finished with them.

#178 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,252 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:13 AM

If you need to start a new topic, as long as it's in the correct section fill yer boots mate.

#179 Hyrule

Hyrule

Batman

• FOC Supporters
  • 948 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk2.5 Zetec 1.6
  • Year: 2008
Contributor

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

I'm stuck on wiring the LCD into the courtesy light positive feed. No idea which of these two cables is the positive:

20131007_181808_zpscdb3d567.jpg

20131007_181918_zps8451bfaa.jpg

#180 Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Name: Rob
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Tdci Sport
  • Year: 2011
Contributor

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

Ben,

Providing your car is a Mk2/Mk2.5 Focus then the following is correct :-

•    Black/Blue = Permanent Ground (-ve).
  •  Black/Yellow = Ground from PJB trigged by door switches or door modules.
  •   Orange/Blue = +ve 12v from battery saver relay (fed from fuse F104 10A),
                    i.e. there will be no voltage after the basttery saver timeout period has expired.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users