Carlos-fandango

• FOC Supporters
  • 9 posts
  • Name: Carl
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi
  • Year: 2008

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

Great Guide Preee,

This was my first modification, and having your guide made it a 20 minute job, much faster than when I installed them to the Galaxy. no need to mark up or even remove the bumper. that was so easy. the only thing i have found is my car is Avalon in colour, they don't make them in this colour as standard so brought silver ones. don't look too bad but i'm thinking of re-painting them, any suggestions on hows the best way of going about that?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#182 Hyrule

Hyrule

Batman

• FOC Supporters
  • 855 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk2.5 Zetec 1.6
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

Great Guide Preee,

This was my first modification, and having your guide made it a 20 minute job, much faster than when I installed them to the Galaxy. no need to mark up or even remove the bumper. that was so easy. the only thing i have found is my car is Avalon in colour, they don't make them in this colour as standard so brought silver ones. don't look too bad but i'm thinking of re-painting them, any suggestions on hows the best way of going about that?

I had the same issue with mine. Bought sea grey coloured sensors. Couldn't me more unlike Sea Grey if they tried.

Spraying them is simple, get a Ford Colour Coded spray paint for your car and follow the great advice I got from Pree & Dezwez:

When you spray the sensors drill four holes in some cardboard, push the sensors into the cardboard, and lightly spray a couple of coats let it dry and then a light coat of laquer , don't over do it, spray from above , as you want to avoid, getting any paint inside of the gap of the sensors. 

I personally let the paint harden for a week, before I washed it, and they've turned out quite nice.

#183 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hi Carlos

As Hyrule has stated it's easy to spray them , you just have to mist the spray over them in at lease two coats letting it dry between coats. too much spray will stop the sensors from working properly so avoid getting paint inside the sensor gap.

#184 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,516 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

to be honest a light sanding with wet - wet and dry (about 2000 grit) and then just prime them and spray them. as long as you dont layer too many coats on it that you block the signal then there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to spray it and jave it fully functional in the colour you want.

Damn, I typed this reply about 10 minutes after you sent the question and its taken me this long to press post! lol good to see the guys got in there first!

#185 Carlos-fandango

Carlos-fandango

• FOC Supporters
  • 9 posts
  • Name: Carl
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

Cheers for all the great advice, I will be painting them just need to build up the nerve to attack them.

I cant seem to find a step by step guide for painting them, just really worried that I will make them useless by over doing it.

cheers again for all your help guys

#186 Hyrule

Hyrule

Batman

• FOC Supporters
  • 855 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk2.5 Zetec 1.6
Contributor

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

Cheers for all the great advice, I will be painting them just need to build up the nerve to attack them.

I cant seem to find a step by step guide for painting them, just really worried that I will make them useless by over doing it.

cheers again for all your help guys

I'll see if I can russle up a guide at some point but in the meantime I hope the below helps.

Ah don't worry I was thinking the same thing but its surprisingly easy. Ideally do it on a non windy day, which judging by the last couple of days weather might be a harder than it sounds. :D

Firstly grab some gloves you don't mind getting paint on. If you bought the sensor that Pree has in his guide, then grab the drill tool that comes supplied.

Get some cardboard, use the drill tool to mark holes in the cardboard. With a bit of pressure you can cut through the cardboard with the drill tool to make an accurate sized hole. Try to make the hole(s) near to the edge of the cardboard, say 3-4cm from the edge. Then take some scissors and cut a straight horizontal line towards the hole you made with the drill tool. This is to feed the sensor towards the hole and allow the cable to fit through.

Push the sensor into the hole, pulling gently at the back for a snug fit. Take your spray can and holding it facing downwards towards the sensor, lightly spray a coat. Then wait 10-15mins

Then spray another coat. Then wait 10-15mins

Then spray the lacquer clear coat.

Repeat for the remaining sensors.

I let the paint harden for a week before I washed the car again.

If you find some paint has found its way into the grooves, don't panic, you can use a pin to go around in a circular motion to remove any excess paint. I have some paint which worked its way into the grooves on mine, but it hasn't affected the ultrasonics in anyway and I didn't bother to remove it as its hardly noticeable.

Any other questions feel free to PM me.

#187 Brijohng56

Brijohng56

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Name: Brian
  • Ford Model: Focus convertible 58 plate

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

HELP, hi, I brought a set of flush fitting reversing sensors for my facelift focus convertible 58 plate, but when I open the box there was no hole saw, no problem really because I got quite a few different size ones, But the instruction state I should use a cutter first to cut a recess in the bumper & then use a hole saw to drill the hole, only problem is, I don't have a cutter for that first cut, does anybody know where I might get one, Thanks Brian.

#188 theduke

theduke

Hairy Member

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2.5 Zetec
  • Year: 2009

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

Just push a guide hole/recess with a screwdriver its in the guide i think

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Ford OC mobile app

#189 Brijohng56

Brijohng56

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

Hi, thanks for reply, but you lost me with your reply, what this about a screwdriver, & what guide would I be looking for, sorry if this seem a bit lame, but new to this sort of thing. Thanks Brian

#190 theduke

theduke

Hairy Member

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2.5 Zetec

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:37 AM

on the first post on this thread theres a pdf file telling you everything you need to know

#191 Brijohng56

Brijohng56

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

Hi thanks for info, but this file only shows using a normal hole saw to cut the hole in the bumper, but the sensors I have from xvision are flush fitting & need a small recess cut in the face of the bumper & then using a smaller hole saw, you cut the main hole thus allowing the sensor to fit flush with the bumper face, if you get my meaning, will try & photo the instruction sheet to show what I mean. Ta

#192 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

Hi thanks for info, but this file only shows using a normal hole saw to cut the hole in the bumper, but the sensors I have from xvision are flush fitting & need a small recess cut in the face of the bumper & then using a smaller hole saw, you cut the main hole thus allowing the sensor to fit flush with the bumper face, if you get my meaning, will try & photo the instruction sheet to show what I mean. Ta

I would complain and get them to send you the correct drill , rather than take a risk of messing up your bumper.

#193 ally67

ally67

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Name: Ally
  • Ford Model: S Max TDCi 2.0

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

brilliant guide and the little rubber grommet in the boot is also in the 2009 C Max boot ;) Can't see if the circles on the bumper are there or not yet will have a closer look tomorrow. 

#194 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,516 posts
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

For anyone who cares to know, on the Mondeo MK4, you have more of a plastic / rubber combination grommet, I drilled a hole through this grommet and find the lines through.

Also a word of advice, if you have a diffuser with gaps as is on the Mondeo MK4, get yourself some silicone sealant, rub the sillicone sealant into the channel where you are going to run the wires, hold the wires against this for a few minutes as it dries, and then as it becomes tacky leave it alone for a few hours.

Then, when done, go back and apply sillicone sealant over the top of the wires and do the same.

I did this and it secured the wires nicely out of the way and works really well :) this can be done with any bumper, as long as you can wipe down and clean most of the underside where you are applying the wires to.

#195 coolhands

coolhands

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Adrian
  • Ford Model: focus estate

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

Hi I used your guide and bought the same sensors from your link cheers. However I fitted to a 2009 (mk 2.5?) ford focus estate. I couldn't find any pictures anywhere, so here are some to help anyone else searching. So this is for fitting reversing sensors to a mk 2.5 ford focus estate where you have to remove the rear bumper. When searching I couldn't find any pictures of how to remove ford focus estate rear bumper.

I also found it difficult to ascertain for certain where to drill but as you can see the centre two do indeed go through the lower part of the bumper (black plastic) - there are two symbols there to indicate where to drill. I found many pics on the net where people had drilled them much higher which is incorrect. ALso the unit can be fitted to the right of the spongey thing behind the side cover - there is a flat bit where it fits nicely as you can see in the pic.

On this pdf you can download it if you click on 'file' (top left) and then 'download' it is in google drive, it has other relevant pictures.

https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

a10.jpg

a12.jpg

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users