Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,822 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

On a Mk2 the black trim at the top of the bumper has markings on the inside however I was advised by the place that fitted my sensors to have them lower as aftermarket ones scan at a flatter zone than Ford ones.
Photos to follow.....

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Name: Garrie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 (100PS)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

On a Mk2 the black trim at the top of the bumper has markings on the inside however I was advised by the place that fitted my sensors to have them lower as aftermarket ones scan at a flatter zone than Ford ones.
Photos to follow.....

I did see those (I think), but from what I seen there were only 3? One bang in the middle and two at either side.

I might just be foaming though, I'll double check that too.

Pics would be a lovely treat, Clive :D.

#48 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,822 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

Right, had a quick recce of the car, Sensors are exactly 3cm from below the bottom edge of the black trim to the centre of the sensor face and dead in line with the Ford sensor position.
If you take off the black trim and look at the back the sensor positions will be obvious.
Measure up and calculate the positions for the holes from centre point of the trim and then transfer the measurements to the bumper.

Posted Image

#49 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Right, had a quick recce of the car, Sensors are exactly 3cm from below the bottom edge of the black trim to the centre of the sensor face and dead in line with the Ford sensor position.
If you take off the black trim and look at the back the sensor positions will be obvious.
Measure up and calculate the positions for the holes from centre point of the trim and then transfer the measurements to the bumper.

Excellent! You're a life saver... thanks for the effort.

EDIT: nm stupid question - was answered in post already.

#50 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,822 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

Excellent! You're a life saver... thanks for the effort.

Welcome mate, just to add that when you remove the black trim thare are also corresponding holes on the bumper behind where the rear of the sensors would sit with a OEM Ford install.
This may help you get the spacing between the sensors more accurate.

Posted Image

#51 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

Okay, got my parking sensors today in the post and fitted them in about 2 hours - would have taken a lot less time had there not been a few complications which I'll divulge for the benefit of anybody else wanting to fit the sensors to a mk2 pre-facelift.

DSC_0045.jpg

As you can see, they look great, excellent colour match - barely even visible really, and they work perfectly well :D. I got a set without the screen and just the buzzer, as I'm not a fan of after-market screens clogging up the cabin.

Anyway, here's a few tips for people who want to do the same on a pre-facelift mk2:

1) I'm not sure if Preee's photos are reversed in his guide, but the guide seems to imply that the reverse light live cable is on the left side of the boot (which makes perfect sense as the reverse light IS on the left side of the car) - BUT for me it was on the RIGHT side of the boot space (goes through the grommet and is then routed to the reverse bulb via the bumper - seems silly to me).

I found this out after I originally followed the guide to the letter and taped all my wires up, put a hole in the left hand side grommet and brought the wires through to the boot. After hooking them up to the green/yellow wire on the LHS, I was dismayed to find that the parking sensors only worked when I hit the brake (green/yellow, for me, on the LHS, is the brake light in the spoiler).

2) I moved over to the right hand side and tried the green/yellow wire over there - still no luck, this time it was my fog light which activated the sensor - closer though.

3) Eventually tried it with the other cable running along-side the green/yellow in the right hand side (can't remember precisely what colour - there was 2 black (earths for reverse and fog), one orange (just a plug of some kind), the green and yellow (live for the fog) and then another two-coloured wire which done the trick!

The Haynes manual for my car actually says that the live wire for the reverse light should be green/orange, but it wasn't that colour either!

Now, I might just be a special case, for whatever reason, but if you're fitting sensors to a pre-facelift mk2, then you might just find that, like me, you in fact have to use the live cable running through the grommet on the RHS of the boot space behind the trim/carpet, and that it's NOT the green/yellow live, but the other live.

HOWEVER, the earth point that Preee uses in his guide is STILL on the left hand side in the pre-facelift mk2, and there's no obvious and convenient Earth point on the right hand side (not to a novice like me, anyway).

Luckily the wires were long enough that I could put the earth to the LHS of the boot and the live to the RHS, and just placed the control module in the middle of the boot behind the grey trim at the very mouth of the boot - it fits in nice and snug. And you can still just about place the buzzer anywhere - I made well sure mine was hidden behind as much trim and carpet as possible, as it's a loud wee bugger and needed some muffling to make it bearable.

Kudos and acknowledgments to Preee who's guide was still very useful, if in need of a few amendments for my car at least, and also to Clive for making the measuring up process last about 90 seconds instead of 20 minutes as per his last few posts!

#52 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

One question for Preee::

You mention on the first page of your guide in the tool list that you need an in-line fuse, but didn't mention it anywhere else in the guide. Did you fit it? If so, where?

#53 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 10,097 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

One question for Preee::

You mention on the first page of your guide in the tool list that you need an in-line fuse, but didn't mention it anywhere else in the guide. Did you fit it? If so, where?

Preee is currently on Holidays in sunny Portugal but will be back with us next Monday

#54 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

Preee is currently on Holidays in sunny Portugal but will be back with us next Monday

They have the internet in Portugal, don't they?!?!?!?!?!?!

Kidding, obviously! Lucky for some, eh?

#55 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

How could I not buy WiFi Lmao. 15 euro for the week :-).
Now where was I . I used the inline fuse from the reverse live feed to the feed to the main reverse unit box. This was just a precaution.

#56 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

How could I not buy WiFi Lmao. 15 euro for the week :-).
Now where was I . I used the inline fuse from the reverse live feed to the feed to the main reverse unit box. This was just a precaution.

Hahaaaa, knew it!

This forum is a hobby, not work! No reason why anybody should avoid it on hols :D.

Excellent, cool. I haven't fitted any such precautions - might do so at a later date, but for now, should be fine.

#57 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,822 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:52 AM

Kudos and acknowledgments to Preee who's guide was still very useful, if in need of a few amendments for my car at least, and also to Clive for making the measuring up process last about 90 seconds instead of 20 minutes as per his last few posts!

Glad i could be of some help to you. :)

#58 Leemaxd

Leemaxd

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus zetec s

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

Used This great guide yesterday to fit my parking sensors thanks Pree and also thanks to Lenny for pointing out the sensors are already marked out on the mk2.5 made the job 10x easier
Took about an hour to fit.

Posted Image

#59 Preee

Preee

Ford Fruitcake

• 4,099 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus Tit X Mk3 | Fiesta Zetec Mk7
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

Leemaxd , nice rear end "Focus" m8 i'm jealous.

#60 Haz93

Haz93

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Name: Harrison
  • Ford Model: Audi A5 Cabriolet + Mini Cooper
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

Very smart looking mate :)
If you don't mind me asking what sensors did you buy as they look very flush with the bumper
Also is your exhaust a rear end section or cat back??

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users