Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Factory Daytime Running Lights - Focus Mk2 Mk2.5, C-Max

Pidu

I have found information how to activate factory daytime running lights in focus mk2, mk2.5 and C-Max. It can be easily done in cars with rain sensor and lights switch with "Auto" position.

This is how it works:

Lights switch must be in "Auto". When you turn ignition on - lights will turn on, but low beam will be reduced to 80% of normal output. When it gets dark - low beam will switch to 100% brightness. It is possible to have ONLY low beam as daytime lights - no other lights will turn on until it gets dark.

There is no obligation in UK to use lights during day, but this feature could be very useful when travelling abroad. Many times I forgot to turn on lights in this situation. It takes minutes to activate and deactivate it. As soon as I get fuses and relay I will check it and post info how to do it.

As I'm not familiar with UK regulations could you advise if this is legal to use low beam lights ONLY during day as daytime running lights? Could you link some info from gov site? Unfo I could not find this information. As far as I know this is legal in countries, where using lights during day is obligatory.

Sounds good Peter

let us know how you get on with it.

Are you saying that if the lighting switch is left on Auto mode before turning on the ignition (assuming that is an option on your car), that you will have daylight running lights using a low power dipped beam?

Are you saying that if the lighting switch is left on Auto mode before turning on the ignition (assuming that is an option on your car), that you will have daylight running lights using a low power dipped beam?

Yes.

It looks like there is one wire missing in my car for this feature. I should get it tomorrow and then I will check how it works.

sounds good mate, i have got the light switch with the auto option but i put that in myself lol any ideas if i could buy a sensor and fit it myself??

Little update - the wire I need for my car (finis 1684288) is not available in UK and will be delivered next week from Germany <_< Strange as this was replacement part for fiesta recall.

How about advise on legal requirements from my first post?

Hi Pidu,

I have just checked my Focus Mk. 2.5 2008 Titanium. Lights on Auto, then Ignition on. No daylight running lights!

Where did you get your information about DRL from? I am not sure what lead you are refering to. I have Googled Ford factory fit DLR and drawn a blank. Maybe this is not a UK spec.

Hi Pidu,

I have just checked my Focus Mk. 2.5 2008 Titanium. Lights on Auto, then Ignition on. No daylight running lights!

Where did you get your information about DRL from? I am not sure what lead you are refering to. I have Googled Ford factory fit DLR and drawn a blank. Maybe this is not a UK spec.

What Pidu is reffering too , is he has found information that when an extra wire loom is fitted , if you have auto lights and switched to Auto before you start the car .

When this wire is in place it will then activate a side light DRL with a reduction in the beam brightness when switched on.

So you will need to wait until Pidu has got the wire from Germany and fitted and tested

sounds good mate, i have got the light switch with the auto option but i put that in myself lol any ideas if i could buy a sensor and fit it myself??

You would need the Sensor , probably the wiring loom and it would need to be activated in the GEM.

Hi Pidu,

Take it easy ndsussex. I wrote that there is a way / possibility to ACTIVATE it, so you would have to do it first to make it work.

What Pidu is reffering too , is he has found information that when an extra wire loom is fitted , if you have auto lights and switched to Auto before you start the car .

When this wire is in place it will then activate a side light DRL with a reduction in the beam brightness when switched on.

So you will need to wait until Pidu has got the wire from Germany and fitted and tested

That is right, thank you Preee.

In general to make it work it is required to have car with rain sensor and lights switch with "Auto" option. Next you have to get to the fuse box inside the car and check if there is a wire bridge in connector C96 (big green next to the fuses, it is recommended to unplug battery before disconnecting it) between pin 1 and pin 26. This is the part missing in my car. It is possible to use standard wire, but in this case there will be no reduction in beam brightness. Ford genuine part finis number 1684288, price 11.02 GBP (only for halogen lights) it looks like this:

clipboard01ns.jpg

Next step - you need to insert relay R15 in the fuse box. For halogen lights - finis 1425751, price 20-24 GBP (are they crazy???), but it is possible to use standard 4 pin mini make and break relay 12V 20A for about 1.50-3.00 GBP. Relay finis for xenon lights - 3523252, price 23.00 GBP.

Next step - fuses:

- remove 10A fuse F110 (F45 in pre-lift models) - this should cause, that ONLY low beam lights will turn on as daytime running lights

- insert 20A fuse F135 (F48 in pre-lift models) - this fuse should be already there

- insert / remove 10A fuse F113 (F71 in pre-lift models) - I'm not sure about it, as some say it is required, other say it isn't (they could not switch engine off when the lights were on), will have to check it in my car.

In my car there are no fuses F45 and F71, most probably I will need to insert relay and wire bridge to make it work.

To check if it is working turn lights switch to "Auto". When you turn ignition on dipped beam lights should turn on with reduced brightness to 80% (only halogen lights, no reduction in brightness of xenon lights). When it gets dark - they will switch to 100% brightness and all other lights will turn on.

So this is the idea of factory daytime running lights for focus and c-max. No additional IDS activation required. To deactivate - simply remove relay R15.

Will let you know more as soon as I get the wire and check it in my car.

Hi.

I would be interested in this mod, but I have been looking into a further and found this statement.

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) - Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) Focus 2004.75 (07/2004-) EtisPrint.gif Print pubFeedback.gif Report An Error

Description and Operation

Daytime Running Lamps

CAUTIONS:

caution.gifOn vehicles with autolamps, retrofitting with daytime running lamps is not permissible, as otherwise, the engine cannot be stopped when the lighting is switched on.

caution.gifOn vehicles with autolamps, the daytime running lamp fuse must not be fitted, as otherwise, the engine cannot be stopped when the lighting is switched on.

In areas where daytime running lamps (DTRL) are a legal requirement, the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) switches the dipped beam and the side lights on whenever the ignition switch is in the position "II" or "III" . On vehicles with conventional lamps (with a spiral-wound filament) the dipped beam operates at 90 % of its normal brightness when the supply voltage is provided through a DTRL relay and a specific resistor wire. On vehicles with gas discharge headlamps the dipped beam operates at the normal intensity via the standard dipped beam relay.

The autolamp function is not available on vehicles with daytime running lamps, as the GEM can only be configured for one of these two options.

I have already read that before.

On vehicles with autolamps, retrofitting with daytime running lamps is not permissible, as otherwise, the engine cannot be stopped when the lighting is switched on.

On vehicles with autolamps, the daytime running lamp fuse must not be fitted, as otherwise, the engine cannot be stopped when the lighting is switched on.

As written above it happens in some cars, that fuse responsible for side light of DRL cause this. I do not know why not in every car, have not found this information. But side lights are not required as a part of DRL, so people use only dipped beam lights. That is ok according to legal requirements.

On vehicles with conventional lamps (with a spiral-wound filament) the dipped beam operates at 90 % of its normal brightness when the supply voltage is provided through a DTRL relay and a specific resistor wire.

According to my information dipped beam operates at 80% of its normal brightness, not 90%, but this is not very important.

The autolamp function is not available on vehicles with daytime running lamps, as the GEM can only be configured for one of these two options.

I do not know, how to make DRL work in cars without "Autolamp" option, found no such information. On the other hand hundreds of focus owners abroad uses DRL in cars with "Autolamp" option, so the above mentioned description has very little to do with reality.

I have spoken with a focus forum club member, he makes relays that turn DRL on only, when engine is running, not when ignition is turned on. It might be interesting option.

Following this with interest. Look forward to the outcome. Nice find BTW!!

Little update to my previous post with description of factory DRL activation.

Resistor wire arrived today. Remember to check before you order as some cars do not need it - it's already there.

06022012783.jpg

06022012784.jpg

I have disconnected car battery in order to fit the wire in connector C96 in the fuse box.

06022012785.jpg

Disconnect C96 and find pin 1 and 26 to insert connectors of resistor wire.

c96.jpg

(example photo from LHD car, in RHD there is very little space)

For cars with xenon lights use standard wire, abt 0,75 square mm. You can use it as well for halogen lights but brightness of the dipped beam will be not reduced in DRL mode.

Connect C96 and fit relay R15.

IMG_1136.jpg

(example photo from LHD car)

In facelift models relay R15 is placed between fuses F129 and F135.

Original Ford relay is way to expansive, standard 4 pin mini relay (make and break) 12V 20A can be used. It looks like this:

relay.jpg

As per Ford there are different relays for cars with halogen lights and xenon lights, but I have read on the internet that people use exactly the same relay for both kinds of lights.

I did not have one, so used mini relay from my previous car I had in a garage - 12V 16A.

I did not insert any additional fuses. In my fuse box there is only 20A fuse F48 (F135 in facelift models), no F45 (F110) and F71 (F113).

Photo of my fuse box:

06022012792.jpg

And this is it, job done.

Turn light switch to "Auto" position. When ignition is turned on dipped beam turns on with reduced brightness. Hard to state percentage of brightness reduction, but it is noticeable. When it gets dark - dipped beam switches to 100% brightness, side lights and tail lights turn on. When there is more light outside - dipped beam switch to DRL mode, after few seconds side lights and tail lights turn off.

This is how it works, at 0:25 you can see the reduction of dipped beam brightness, at 0:36 side lights and tail lights turn off.

http://youtu.be/nMpAoVx3dGs

Looks similar to VW and some of the Audi DRL lights, but they use reduced high beam as DRL.

Please excuse photos and clip quality but I used my mobile to take them.

So what do you say? :)

• Thanks 1

ery nicely done Pidu , and good and clear instructions thank you, great little mod :)

Nice work pidu. this is a nice mod! I note you got a mk2 (pre-facelift) but as you state above hopefully hould work with a mk2.5 as well! The mk2.5 titanium (2008) model which is what I have has the guide me home lighting which is where if you flick the high beam stalk once ignition is turned off the main headlamps (not including side or tail lamps) stay lit for 30 secs or so. This must run a similar prinicipal to the drl activation I suppose. Maybe have a look under hood at weekend and investigate further.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Pree. How u getting on with you LED drls? This is another great mod to the focus and looks more factory fitted and much better than the cheap aftermarket stick on jobbies i've seen the "boy racers" with! maybe another option for me! I did the number plate LED's and side lights mod and so far so good although have heard people having issues with these flickering or burning out. Had these fitted since mid december now!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Pree. How u getting on with you LED drls? This is another great mod to the focus and looks more factory fitted and much better than the cheap aftermarket stick on jobbies i've seen the "boy racers" with! maybe another option for me! I did the number plate LED's and side lights mod and so far so good although have heard people having issues with these flickering or burning out. Had these fitted since mid december now!

Hi Greggp

They are working great , and very happy with them , i have seen on another forum a guy fitted them and then sprayed them , some thing i won't be doing lol.

I'm still toying with my rear DRL kit i made and deciding if i want to fit it into the cluster , 50/50 at the moment it all works well and dims the LED's i brought , but i just can't bring myself to drill the light cluster lol

Saying that if i do it i might try in the Indicator side , as now i'm reading these type of LEDS fail quickly under heat and if i put it in the side light then it gets hot there and might start failing on me.

Putting them in the indicator section , more worried about the RED blocking out the Orange , but like the look of the ST style lights which that would replicate.

Sprayed them...?

I've seen some real s*** mods TBH!! Saw someone in a reasonably new bmw 335 the other day who had fitted those flexible LED strip thingys and they looked shocking, even some of the bulbs looked like they'd blown! I like my LED side lights, they look great when just on by themself! thing is i tend to leave auto switch on so lamps and sides on at same time but just feel my halogen headlamps let the whole look down! Have tried phillips, osram and wasn't that impressed with whiteness so got a set of Halfords bv as have them in my fez also and look pretty good. Would like to hear a succesful headlamp drl conversion on a mk2.5 like above before I start tinkering with relays/fuses etc on mine.

Yes there are some Mad , modifications out there , the guy that painted them probably thought it was a good idea to colour match , unless he has resprayed them they were not moondust silver lol, and if he did not cut back the plastic and bond them the paint is probably on his drive now lol.

I have seen a set of DRL for a Mk2.5 headlight's but they were not cheap ! and if a LED failed it would be very costly.

I always check mine to see if any of the Leds have failed lol i'm paranoid.

i switched my Fogs on the other day and wow they llooked terrible like a dirty yellow compaired to the DRLS , but i don't use the Fogs so i'm not changing the bulbs

My headlamps actualky look a lot whiter than the factory fitted ones....I suppose because the led's I bought give more of a xenon look they let the look down a bit, but something I can live with.

Would like to hear a succesful headlamp drl conversion on a mk2.5 like above before I start tinkering with relays/fuses etc on mine.

Conversion looks exactly the same on Mk2 and Mk2.5. They have different fuse boxes, but it is not a problem, fuses numbers are stated above. Lots of people already did it in other countries :)

BTW, I have recently seen trim set for Hella DRL system LEDayFlax for Focus Mk2.5, maybe somebody would be interested:

http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaSG/WebSite/MiscContent/Download/Wholesalers/P10_023_en_1.pdf

Price is high, as for all Hella accessories - RRP EUR 98 for the trim and EUR 200 for DRL system, but could be bought cheaper.

Nice mod though round my way you could drive a a luminous car neon sign on it with a pole dancer on the roof and they still dont see you coming

Conversion looks exactly the same on Mk2 and Mk2.5. They have different fuse boxes, but it is not a problem, fuses numbers are stated above. Lots of people already did it in other countries :)

BTW, I have recently seen trim set for Hella DRL system LEDayFlax for Focus Mk2.5, maybe somebody would be interested:

http://www.hella.com...10_023_en_1.pdf

Price is high, as for all Hella accessories - RRP EUR 98 for the trim and EUR 200 for DRL system, but could be bought cheaper.

They look ok , but for me they are like the MS-design for the Mk3 they are too close together for my liking.

I would like to order that wire but where from. Can pidu please post a link to where he got it from

Jamie

I would like to order that wire but where from. Can pidu please post a link to where he got it from

Jamie

I got it from Ford dealer. Finis 1684288, price 11.02 GBP.